Fuel up/down again

Man of Honour
It's so annoying, I'm practically paying £1.40 a litre at the moment for BP Ultimate, I think I'm going to clip that in the ear if it continues up much further and just get the standard Tesco diesel

Soldato
i would be a smug lpg driver, but the only supplier in harrogate was charging 76p/L (almost 20p more than calor/shell are charging) when i last filled up :(

Soldato
As bad as the prices are, the train is still most costly for me to get to work. When it becomes cheaper I will use it.

Caporegime
R420LA6X2/4MNA have you heard any rumours of it happening again this year?

Yes, quite a few.

That said, I do know the management of Stobart Group would not go along with a similar event (even though I believe they did last time) - so that would rule me out of any future participation.

On the other hand, as I alluded to in my previous post, it (the fuel rise) will hit them hard, so, you never know.....

Can't now, as apparently blocking a refinery is now an act of terrorism :confused:

Yes, I think its something like that now, I'd have to look up to be sure, but, date considered, Beer appeals more to me at the moment! :D

its an illegal event now, so it can not be done. I just think the best bet is for some sort of go slows on all major routes, but even that's a arrestable offence now?

Something like that will ,most likely, be the outcome.

As for go slow on major routes - would that not make most users of the M25 criminals? ;):D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
It's so annoying, I'm practically paying £1.40 a litre at the moment for BP Ultimate, I think I'm going to clip that in the ear if it continues up much further and just get the standard Tesco diesel

Why on earth are you wasting your money at BP? Along with Texaco they are probably the biggest ripoff merchants on the road. I make a point of NEVER filling up with fuel at a BP or Texaco garage.

If you are putting Ulltimate Diesel in a stock 120d you are mad.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;18119877 said:

Why do you say that? - afaik Stobart use exclusively "Ultimate" diesel albeit, afaik, from Shell rather than BP

Good enough for a Scania, good enough for a BMW? No?

Man of Honour
OP
Why do you say that? - afaik Stobart use exclusively "Ultimate" diesel albeit, afaik, from Shell rather than BP

Good enough for a Scania, good enough for a BMW? No?

It's 140p a litre! Whats the point!? He has a normal diesel hatchback, it's not as if he's a 335d or something. It's a 163bhp 2 litre diesel. It's built for economy, putting 140p a litre diesel into it removes the economy benefit surely?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;18119928 said:
It's 140p a litre! Whats the point!? He has a normal diesel hatchback, it's not as if he's a 335d or something. It's a 163bhp 2 litre diesel. It's built for economy, putting 140p a litre diesel into it removes the economy benefit surely?

True enough I suppose. - I guess Stobart don't pay anywhere near that! - By the same logic, am I wasting my money putting Ultimate (petrol) into my e39? - Genuine question !

Soldato
Diesel cost me around £51 in 2006 to fill up, in 2010 it was around £64. I would fill up once every 2-3 weeks, total tank would get me around 450 miles.

Now using Shell premium unleaded its about £68 for a full tank, filling up once to twice a week and getting 250 miles maximum in a tank!

The costs are very upsetting when you see how much gets wasted by the govt spending habbits. Here is a random fact; did you know as soon as Clegg was in power his wife got a 88k or so contract? Never ends...

Man of Honour
OP
True enough I suppose. - I guess Stobart don't pay anywhere near that! - By the same logic, am I wasting my money putting Ultimate (petrol) into my e39? - Genuine question !

The performance and economy figures for your engine are based on 97-98 RON fuel, so no, it isnt a waste. The same is not the case for the diesel variants. That said, even I'd draw the line at BP Ultimate simply because BP are just a massive ripoff - wherever you go, BP are taking the mick with fuel prices. Even if they are opposite another service station they are ALWAYS charging more.

You'll be familiar with the services just near the end of the M6 near Gretna. There is a BP one side and a Shell the other. Yesterday, Shell was 3p a litre less than BP the other side. Thats just how BP are.

So just avoid them and buy VPower unleaded instead, or Super from any other garage. Personally I use Sainsburys Super in mine most of the time.

Soldato
So, how long until it hits £2 in the UK?

Fuel has gone up a bit in Canada too. We had a HST tax increase of 8% on fuel and the usual "oil has gone up in price".

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;18119877 said:
Why on earth are you wasting your money at BP? Along with Texaco they are probably the biggest ripoff merchants on the road. I make a point of NEVER filling up with fuel at a BP or Texaco garage.

I've explained my reasons on here many times before

It sounds a lot less rough on BP Ultimate, I don't put it in for performance purposes, although I do think it is a little better in the low rev range with the expensive stuff, but it's mainly how it sounds on idle and at low revs

It just seems to feel and sound a lot less rough than it does with say standard Tesco or Esso fuel

EDIT - Also in Abingdon, BP are no more expensive than any where else, it's only the "Ultimate" tax that makes it more, if I got standard diesel it would be the same price

Man of Honour
OP
I've explained my reasons on here many times before

It sounds a lot less rough on BP Ultimate, I don't put it in for performance purposes, although I do think it is a little better in the low rev range with the expensive stuff, but it's mainly how it sounds on idle and at low revs

It just seems to feel and sound a lot less rough than it does with say standard Tesco or Esso fuel

It's broken then - if you must buy 'Premium diesel' buy it from Shell instead.

The market should punish companies which price themselves at the top end unless the value they add to the product is justified. In the case of BP this is not the case.

Man of Honour
I would rather have Shell V-Power believe me, but the nearest Shell garage that offers V-Power diesel is 20 miles away, and I rarely venture that way

Why do you say it's broken? From reading about it to see if it was just a placebo, it seems it's quite common to find it the differences I do

Soldato
I don't understand why people pay more at local indie garages for fuel, there was one near work that was charging 30p more a litre than the local morrisons less than a mile away and it always seemed busy.

Back
Top Bottom