Golf Thread

Soldato
Horrendous evening down the a range today, after my best round on Friday. My chipping and wedges that I had a lesson on Sunday with were good really good. My irons on the other hand, shocking absolutely shocking I was hooking everyone. Driver and woods not there best but at least they where going in the general direction I wanted. My round on Friday could end up being my worst. :confused::cry:

Golf will do that to ya :p

Soldato
Pretty gutted after yesterday's post-work round. Aimed to score better than Tuesday's 88 (par 70, bogey golf ftw). Was hitting the ball well, missed a couple of birdie putts, but finished the front 9 at 3 over :eek:

Continued well into the back 9, including a tap in par on the hardest hole on the course. Got to 13, a tricky dogleg left par 4, ended up losing a ball, then finishing with a 7. No bother, but then topped my tee shot on the 14th, recovered well for a bogey. Then went bogey-double-par-double to finish 14 over :( That elusive sub-80 score is well within reach, but lost my head after one bad hole - I was certainly playing well enough to break 80, just need to keep my head!

On the plus side, I was getting off the tee very well with my driver, including a seasons best 327 yard drive :D

Associate
Mid morning round today thanks to a day off :)

After my exploits last time out challenged myself to set a PB off the whites on the easier Tower course. Ball striking not quite there today, only a few percent off but enough to make it harder work than it should have been
Couple of lucky breaks on the front nine, nothing worse than bogey for 41 out (+7).

My only big blunder came on the short par 4 13th. Put my approach in the bunker, took two to get out then a scruffy three putt. My only score worse than bogey all round :rolleyes: Recovered well afterwards to make three pars in the closing four holes to come back in 45 (+8). Should have been 4/4 but got greedy on the 16th when I hit a cracking approach to leave a tasty 8-10 footer uphill for birdie. Raced my first putt past and left the return just short for a three putt.

Overall an 86 (+15) which is eight under my course handicap and was a PB from the whites so can't be unhappy :). Five pars, twelve bogeys, one triple, five GIR and 36 putts.

Last edited:
Associate
Todays round wasn’t to bad after my awful night at the range during the week. Had a couple of bad holes, one particularly bunker ruined my score on the front nine. lost a couple of balls and scored 114.

Soldato
Played the usual golf yesterday, 18 holes at Woodlands at 10 then back to Whitley for the 9-hole roll-up on the way hole. Still feel like my general ball striking is probably as good as it's ever been but just not getting the scores together. End result was a handicap increase of 0.3, boo, did knock off a reasonable score though and next round entered will knock off my best score of the last 20 so yeah...

Roll-up was solid really across 7 of the 9 holes... With that course it starts off pretty hard with 1/2, 3 is ok and then 4 is another tricky one, then 5-8 is kinda 'easier' before a tricky 9. So +4 through 3 I wasn't too unhappy with, double'd the second with a 3 putt which was annoying but hey. Then 4 bit me.

Hit the perfect tee shot, at least for the lay-up approach, there's trees/mounds in the middle of the 'fairway' so it's either lay up and go over or try to roll one through either of the two gaps. So 9 Iron layup in position A+, all good. Then I thinned my second right into the base of one of the trees, could see it and maybe hit it but decided the safest route was take an unplayable. Chipped through, pitched on, 2-putt for a 7 :(

I then par'd 5 through 7, good times. Bogey'd 8. Like I said that's kinda the easy stretch. But then I had a pickup on 9, with a bit of a rules question...

OK tee shot left me on the island safely but pulled my second 'probably' (read definitely :p) into the hazard. I said provisional and hit another but it went OB right. Couldn't actually see my original ball in the hazard and wasn't sure whether I could completely discard the provisional and drop by the hazard and continue the hole with a 4th stroke (tee shot, second into hazard and then drop for 3). Anyone know the ruling here? Not knowing for sure the rules I 'picked up' and played the rest of the hole out just for funs.

Got 17 points, tied for the lead when I left with one bandit left to come in, he probably scored 20+ as usual :p

E: skimming through the rules I think if I'd found my first one, even if it was in the hazard, I would've been able to disregard the provisional and take a drop, but because it was 'lost' even in a hazard area the provisional counts as in play... I think...

Last edited:
Associate
OK tee shot left me on the island safely but pulled my second 'probably' (read definitely :p) into the hazard. I said provisional and hit another but it went OB right. Couldn't actually see my original ball in the hazard and wasn't sure whether I could completely discard the provisional and drop by the hazard and continue the hole with a 4th stroke (tee shot, second into hazard and then drop for 3). Anyone know the ruling here? Not knowing for sure the rules I 'picked up' and played the rest of the hole out just for funs.
When you say hazard do you mean a red or yellow staked penalty area? Or did you loose your ball in the general area?

Soldato
When you say hazard do you mean a red or yellow staked penalty area? Or did you loose your ball in the general area?

It's a water stream/ditch, I think it's got red stakes but might be yellow, but definitely a staked penalty area.

Last edited:
Associate
^ keep at it and you'll soon be breaking 100
Thanks, my best score so far is 110 and I am hoping to break 100 by the end of year or at least be close to 100.

Question for everyone, what people opinions on joining a club vs pay and play. Spoken to few friends about this and had differing opinions. One said joining a club allows to get better because you’re playing the same course regularly and the other said playing different courses each week challenges you making you a better player. There are plenty other pros and cons.

Soldato
Thanks, my best score so far is 110 and I am hoping to break 100 by the end of year or at least be close to 100.

Question for everyone, what people opinions on joining a club vs pay and play. Spoken to few friends about this and had differing opinions. One said joining a club allows to get better because you’re playing the same course regularly and the other said playing different courses each week challenges you making you a better player. There are plenty other pros and cons.

As you say I think there's a bunch of pros and cons for each side, and can vary for individuals too...

I'm a member of two courses, one is close to where I live (~5-8 minutes drive) and the other is where I play with a group of mates in Bristol. Financially both make sense, as long as I play once a week at both courses at least, and I often play more than that.

Until recently I mostly played the local course solo, but I've been involving myself more with the social/comp aspect, like the roll-ups, so getting to know more people and occasionally playing with them, and that itself is something I didn't put much value in until recently, the social side, turning up to the club and knowing people there is 'nice', even for an antisocial git like me.

The Bristol course has basically no social side, there's weekly comps but it's very impersonal I feel, but you get 'free' access to two 18-hole courses which are also open more than a lot of other courses over winter. Both courses are also quite easy so nice as a beginner although maybe a little flattering, as I've been playing now for almost 2 years and getting better I feel like I want that challenge more rather than feeling like tougher courses just beat me down.

Playing the same course regularly definitely helps a lot, and probably is more worth it as a beginner.

I've been contemplating whether the Bristol membership is worth it/going to continue, it feels like it'd be nice to have more variety there which we do a bit but if you're paying for a course it feels even more expensive to go somewhere else. Saying that I'm planning to play both courses tomorrow again so 36-holes for the 'just' cost of the buggy at £30 for 36-holes (and membership...) which I'd struggle to justify if I wasn't a member.

Associate
It's a water stream/ditch, I think it's got red stakes but might be yellow, but definitely a staked penalty area.
In that case if you know for certain it went in you're not playing a provisional. It's either a drop (options for which depend on if they are red or yellow stakes) or stroke and distance. I don't see it as fair that you could play a provisional, see how that lies then say oh no I'll take a drop instead. For me your playing 5 from the spot you hit the second ball.

Associate
As you say I think there's a bunch of pros and cons for each side, and can vary for individuals too...

I'm a member of two courses, one is close to where I live (~5-8 minutes drive) and the other is where I play with a group of mates in Bristol. Financially both make sense, as long as I play once a week at both courses at least, and I often play more than that.

Until recently I mostly played the local course solo, but I've been involving myself more with the social/comp aspect, like the roll-ups, so getting to know more people and occasionally playing with them, and that itself is something I didn't put much value in until recently, the social side, turning up to the club and knowing people there is 'nice', even for an antisocial git like me.

The Bristol course has basically no social side, there's weekly comps but it's very impersonal I feel, but you get 'free' access to two 18-hole courses which are also open more than a lot of other courses over winter. Both courses are also quite easy so nice as a beginner although maybe a little flattering, as I've been playing now for almost 2 years and getting better I feel like I want that challenge more rather than feeling like tougher courses just beat me down.

Playing the same course regularly definitely helps a lot, and probably is more worth it as a beginner.

I've been contemplating whether the Bristol membership is worth it/going to continue, it feels like it'd be nice to have more variety there which we do a bit but if you're paying for a course it feels even more expensive to go somewhere else. Saying that I'm planning to play both courses tomorrow again so 36-holes for the 'just' cost of the buggy at £30 for 36-holes (and membership...) which I'd struggle to justify if I wasn't a member.
For me the two clubs I looking to join one has two coarse’s what are both great, all the facilities and a reasonable monthly fee for a 5 day membership. As I currently play on Friday afternoon and could play 9 holes one evening a week. Making worth while.

The other is a points based club up front fee that is less than above, that has a club house, putting green and practice nets. Work out to be under £15 a round.

Opinion three, join the points based club, play every week and once a month play at the other club on pay to play basis. What still works out cheaper than playing at the club with two coarse’s.

Soldato
For me the two clubs I looking to join one has two coarse’s what are both great, all the facilities and a reasonable monthly fee for a 5 day membership. As I currently play on Friday afternoon and could play 9 holes one evening a week. Making worth while.

The other is a points based club up front fee that is less than above, that has a club house, putting green and practice nets. Work out to be under £15 a round.

Opinion three, join the points based club, play every week and once a month play at the other club on pay to play basis. What still works out cheaper than playing at the club with two coarse’s.

Of those option 3 sounds like the cake and eat it option to me :p

Although good point with facilities, the local club to me has a basic range which I use a decent amount but would also use without membership, it gets me a 10% discount but that's no big deal really. Also chipping greens/areas (you specifically said putting green for the points based club) but again those are often free to use anyway. But worth considering...

Practice nets I find ok for a pre-round warmup (I probably don't do enough) but definitely want a proper range for practice

Back
Top Bottom