Golf Thread

Soldato
Big few weeks of golf coming up for me, playing Minichampton this weekend and then off to Spain next week for 5 days, playing golf on 3 of them and then come back home to do a tournament with my friends.

Aiming for a range session tomorrow and a round on Thursday to warm up ahead of Saturday.

Really need to dial in my tee shots, get some more confidence with clubs other than driver because I think if I can then it will be a bit more controlled with a 3/4w and hybrid.

Soldato
Relatively solid round today. Shotscope has it at 98 but I definitely need to add in some lost balls from some tee shots.

My driver has completely abandoned me. Swapped to 4w half way through and felt a bit more consistent but still not amazing. Irons and putting fairly solid however which I'm happy with.

Looking at getting a 2i as a driving iron and see how that goes, with a graphite shaft it should be useable for me and I feel confident with the profile of irons at the minute.

Associate
Test one first from a local pro shop. You’ll need a fair amount of speed and strike quality to make a 2i work well consistently. I’d prob stick to the 4w or a 2 hybrid as a driver replacement.

Associate
Club championship this weekend! Two rounds stroke play too scratch over Saturday and Sunday. I definitely won't be contending for top honours but hope to do well in the handicap section. Weather looks interesting :p Dry and breezy on Saturday. Wet, breezy and chance of thundery showers on Sunday.

Set another PB on Thursday in conditions similar to those forecast for Saturday. 38 for the front nine on the Tower off the yellows including 7 pars, 1 bogey and a triple. Previous best was 39. This is my third PB in the last two weeks so game is trending in the right direction, just need to produce with a card in hand.

Clubs have been cleaned this evening, a lot dirtier than they looked. Towels washed, new balls in the bag. My tee time for Saturday is 9:18. Sunday will depend on my position after the first round which also includes the possibility of a start from the 12th hole.

Club are doing their bit to look after us :) Driving range opening early at 6:30 for those out first with five bays reserved and complimentary balls. Some free food on offer Sunday afternoon while the prize giving takes place.

Last edited:
Associate
Today I joined my first golf club and then went out had an awful round. Lost so many balls this week, so glad I don’t buy them brand new. Just one of those games I guess. I did how ever score my first par! Shame I was on my own this week and no one around to witness it.

Soldato
Had hoped to get out for a round on Sunday, but the weather for this weekend isn’t great. It has been so poor this year that I’ve hardly been able to get out on the course.

Soldato
Played yesterday as usual, played ok I thought but just didn't score well, kind of a theme recently where I've hit some of my best ever shots, and even feel somewhat consistent, but just not scoring well. Thankfully weather was ok but skipped the roll up cause off the rain in the afternoon.

Today though was Mens Open for my local club so did that, weather was miserable from yesterday afternoon to basically when we tee'd off, still some light showers but also some sunshine so not too bad at all.

First hole was awful, lost a ball, hacking it around, ended with a 9. But then it definitely improved, best bit of the front 9 was the 5th hole where I hit my 7 iron to about 2 foot from the pin for a tap in birdie (annoingly later beaten for nearest the pin by maybe an inch...). Ended up with a 43 gross, my previous best was a 44 so good start! EG even dropped that by 1 to a 42, the 1st hole was capped to 8.

Back 9 started even worse, got a 10 this time round (same hole, 9-hole course played twice for 18 off different tees), then really kinda screwed up the 11th, 12th and 13th before I sorted myself out and started playing golf again :p Got a 51 gross reduced to 49.

End result was 94 gross (EG reduced to 91, might stabilise my hcp a bit) for a 73 net. That was good enough for 8th on the day, winner got a net 66. Happy enough with that.

Associate
An eventful couple of days to put in mildly! Unfortunately I wasn't able to play my best, in large part thanks to the wonderful British weather which was absolutely brutal on Saturday :rolleyes: The winds felt way above the forecast 17-20mph, more like 25-30mph with gusts up to 35mph. Thought I was playing links golf. It couldn't make its mind up whether it was going to rain or not until a brief downpour, with the rain coming in sideways, while our group was on the 13th tee which left me temporarily soaked. Thankfully I quickly dried out once the sun returned. I capitulated completely :(

Swing never felt there from the moment I arrived on the driving range, even though I got a reasonable tee shot off on the 1st and hit a solid enough layup with my second. Wedge into the green was thinned in to the stream and that set the tone for the day, opening up with three doubles. A ten followed at the par 3 4th (don't ask) to be followed up by a very respectable seven at the 600y 5th which into the wind felt even longer than normal. Even with three decent shots (driver and 2x 6i) I didn't get close enough to consider going for the green with my fourth shot. Unfortunately after that I put two in the water at the following par 3 and another on the next. I did battle back somewhat around the turn and coming home to pick up four pars and three bogeys in the final 10 holes but by that point the damage was already done. Two 10's and two 9's on the card for 113 (63/50) gross. Reduced to 103 by EG after five of my scores were capped :p

Todays round still in tough conditions but nothing quite as ferocious as yesterday where at one point on the 11th green my ball started to move just as I'd started my putting stroke :eek: Started from the 12th tee and opened up with back to back pars while the skies were overcast but calm. The wind picked up as the round progressed. Avoided any major errors to come in with a total of four pars, six bogeys, six doubles and two triples for a 96 (51/45) gross. And miracle of miracles I kept the same ball in play from start to finish! I lost count of how many I lost yesterday but it must have been close to double figures.

Just having a quick count up there were twenty-two rounds of three figures+ yesterday and only thirteen today. A big shout out to this years champion, Sam, who carded 80/77 for a wining total of 157. Three shots clear of Tom in second who carded 77/83. Mighty impressive given the conditions (both have handicaps of 4.3). Big thanks to everyone involved in the organisation of the event and the greens keepers, course was in top condition. Hopefully I'll be back next year, playing better and with weather that reminds me it's summer.

Soldato
Club Champs this weekend!

Saturday's round went...ok, with an 85 - including 3 bogeys, 4 double bogeys, a quad bogey, 9 pars and a birdie! Brutal conditions, wind and rain - not helped by the group in front of us playing VERY slowly - we were waiting for ~6 minutes over every shot. Completely understand that it's a championship weekend, but you don't need to pull the pin for a tap in putt! One of my playing partners made an ace on the final par 3 :eek: Ended the day T5, everyone was struggling, including the club pro going 10 over.

Sunday was a bit of a disaster - a quad bogey on the par 5 2nd, then a double on the par 3 4th - then tidied it up and made 5 straight pars. Back 9 was...interesting, some doubles and triples thrown in there. Needed a par on the par 5 last to shoot an 89 - made an 11 after 2 lost balls :(

However my goal was to make the cut to the second day and I did that comfortably, so can't complain too much. A few days off needed I think!

Associate
I have come to realise that I hit clubs the best where the weight is in the club head. I need to be able to feel the club head all the way through the swing and I can deliver it with full confidence. No matter if it’s mine or a borrowed club. I need the weight down there.

My hybrid and 5w are perfect examples of this. Both feel like a pendulum swinging with a weight at the end while my irons and drivers are more “floating” through space with no sense of where they are.

Took me 2 years to figure this out but it’s very much a thing for me.

Back
Top Bottom