Golf Thread

Do any of you ever find yourself struggling off the tee on certain holes?

We've been playing the same course at the weekends over the past couple of months because it's playing brilliantly but I have noticed now that I seem to struggle off the tee on some holes, every single time. They're not necessarily difficult holes but I just seem to always hit a bad shot off them. They've got a flyover video of the course from 6 years ago. It's one of the 5 18-hole courses we get that is absolutely disgusting value for money with how good it always plays, plus on a nice day you've got the views over the Forth and Edinburgh.

We play off the yellows. Video doesn't really do it justice as to how hilly it is.

Hole 2 - I always end up in the field on the right-hand side.
Hole 8 - end up in the field on the left or right down the bottom of the hill on the right.
Hole 12 - always draw/hook it into the bushes on the left.
Hole 13 - always end up in the bushes on the right. This hole is hellish because it's constant up-hill.

It's these four holes that always end up hurting my score...
Do you have the Fife Golf Trust Rover Ticket?

I've just started playing again after a 20'ish years absence. Got signed up for a Rover Ticket and have played a few times and Glenrothes and at the weekend at Auchterderran.

My driving and mid irons I'm playing like a 14 but unfortunately playing like a 28 with my short game. Probably shooting around 100 at the moment but that could easily come down to high 80's with a bit of practice and guidance. I was playing off 14 at Deer Park before I gave it up due to work.

Thinking about joining one of the clubs so I can get a handicap and play competitions again. Going to book a couple of lessons as well as I think my swing is a bit off especially in the shorter irons.

Do you have the Fife Golf Trust Rover Ticket?

I've just started playing again after a 20'ish years absence. Got signed up for a Rover Ticket and have played a few times and Glenrothes and at the weekend at Auchterderran.

My driving and mid irons I'm playing like a 14 but unfortunately playing like a 28 with my short game. Probably shooting around 100 at the moment but that could easily come down to high 80's with a bit of practice and guidance. I was playing off 14 at Deer Park before I gave it up due to work.

Thinking about joining one of the clubs so I can get a handicap and play competitions again. Going to book a couple of lessons as well as I think my swing is a bit off especially in the shorter irons.
Yeah, had it since I started playing a few years ago!

You can still get a handicap without being a member at a club. My mate and I have started tracking our handicap (not got mine yet) using OpenPlay with Scottish Golf - only £50 for the year.

I can't recommend Andrew McHardy at Wellsgreen highly enough for lessons. Been with him a few times for lessons/fittings and the guy is brilliant.

Yeah, had it since I started playing a few years ago!

You can still get a handicap without being a member at a club. My mate and I have started tracking our handicap (not got mine yet) using OpenPlay with Scottish Golf - only £50 for the year.

I can't recommend Andrew McHardy at Wellsgreen highly enough for lessons. Been with him a few times for lessons/fittings and the guy is brilliant.
Thanks, I was looking at going to wellsgreen for my lessons as I go to the range there as having the toptracer app is handy for me to work out my distances. I'm using Hole 19 on the course to find out how far I need to hit the green as well which is working quite well.

I was looking into the OpenPlay app - I assume I'll need to find someone to sign my scorecard digitally who is also a member to do that. Do you know if I sign my son up to it then we can mark each others cards and get a handicap or does the other person already need to have a handicap?

If you're ever wanting a game ping me a DM.

Thanks, I was looking at going to wellsgreen for my lessons as I go to the range there as having the toptracer app is handy for me to work out my distances. I'm using Hole 19 on the course to find out how far I need to hit the green as well which is working quite well.

I was looking into the OpenPlay app - I assume I'll need to find someone to sign my scorecard digitally who is also a member to do that. Do you know if I sign my son up to it then we can mark each others cards and get a handicap or does the other person already need to have a handicap?

If you're ever wanting a game ping me a DM.
Nope - we've been signing each other's score cards without having the handicap yet and they've gone through fine. I only marked my first round at the weekend and my mate had his third so got his handicap.

Definitely! If your son plays as well, bring him along!

Last edited:
Nope - we've been signing each other's score cards without having the handicap yet and they've gone through fine. I only marked my first round at the weekend and my mate had his third so got his handicap.

Definitely! If your son plays as well, bring him along!
that's great to know - my sons still an absolute beginner so wouldn't take him out in the middle of the day yet as we'd be waving players through continually but once he's had a couple of lessons I could see him being ready to be on the course at any time of day.

Was lucky with the weather today, the rain held out until we got to the 18th tee box. Not my best round had two terrible holes scoring a 10 and 11 but the rest of my game fairly consistent scored 121.

Wanner try and get down to single figures by the end of the year.. I'm 15 atm. I am playing pretty well atm, but it's so god damn hard not to make a few mistakes here and there.. I was 9 over after about 14 holes today and ended up 14 by the end.

Was playing a different course with a friend and thier greens are dogdoodoo so I think I deserved to be 4 shots less.

Think I need to go all FitzPatrick on my stats and find out what's costing me. I suspect it's obvious that I'm not good enough up and down from within 100 yards.

Been invited by Team Titleist to go to Celtic Manor next week to test out the new GT range of drivers. No obligation to buy, thankfully! As I'd sooner support my local pro. An hour long fitting and fine tweaks to find my ideal setup. Plus a free Titleist goodie bag, worth the 2 hour or so drive haha!

Out today in the medal, perfect conditions and played some great stuff overall. Front nine +1 and then played fairly steady on the back nine until the 18th... Managed to play the wrong ball on my 2nd shot, realised as I was just about to putt out and then had to leg it back and apologise to the guy going down the 15th looking for his ball.

So a nice 2 stroke penalty there and a triple bogey to end the round with, what a Muppet!

^ I'm sure we've all been there, I know I have!

Likewise out for the monthly medal this morning. Weather a complete contrast to last weekend :)

Arrived later than I'd planned due to an unexpected road closure forcing me to double back on myself and take a detour. This meant a rush to get some stretches in and warm up before legging it to the first tee. Started with three doubles which included a big slice of luck on the 1st. A bit the story of the day as didn't really strike it well all day but got away with all bar one of my really poor ones.

Did play better on the back nine and putting was solid enough to spare me a load of three putts. Somehow stumbled my way to a 88 (47/41) gross, 66 net (par 72), to top my division by three shots :p. Amazing to think how poorly I played yet that's my best score by a margin with a card in hand. Expect to see a shot off the handicap tomorrow.

Sad day yesterday. Sold my ST+, sticking to the driving range and golf course..wasnt getting the use it deserved. Guy that bought it was really sound, a 12 handicapper, just about managed to fit the equipment in his focus! How it all did fit though, i will never know..

Anyways, some good weather here hopefully soon! course was closed several days ago from flooding!! :eek:

Played today in the Captains Charity day at Shrivenham Park, Texas Scramble with a 4-tee minimum per player and a shotgun start. Played it last year and then I kinda struggled/was under pressure to get those 4 tee shots in, what a difference a year makes :p

Ended up having 3 tee shots after 6 holes played (we started 18th, so after the 5th), then on our 8th hole I wasn't planning to hit until all 3 of the others lost their balls in various hazards. It's a horribly tight 90-degree 'dogleg' par 4 with thick trees on one side and trees + river on the other. So put one in play and that was my 4th and no pressure for me :)

Ended up taking a 5th tee shot on the 10th hole being the only one on the green in the group (par 3, obviously), then on the 11th same thing but we took someone elses and chipped on...

We didn't come close to winning but was a good fun day out :)

Cut from 23.2 to 21.6 after yesterday. Not quite reached 20 cards yet so I had 6/17 counting prior now 6/18. Yesterdays round replaced a 98. The graph of my scores in the My EG app has a pleasing gentle downward trend to it, hopefully I can keep this going for now until I reach my limit, which I estimate will be around 16.

Cut from 23.2 to 21.6 after yesterday. Not quite reached 20 cards yet so I had 6/17 counting prior now 6/18. Yesterdays round replaced a 98. The graph of my scores in the My EG app has a pleasing gentle downward trend to it, hopefully I can keep this going for now until I reach my limit, which I estimate will be around 16.
Ah we’re about similar then, I’ve been cut to 21.9 after yesterdays round!

Out around Cumberwell Park again today on Blue/Red courses.

Feel like I played pretty well overall, got 34 points stableford which is one of my better results at Cumberwell so there's that, but still just not scoring quite as well as I feel like I should.

My driver was also complete trash today, ended up not using it for the first few holes for other reasons but when we got to the 5th I think it was it was bad... Lost the first and put the second (3 off the tee) in a bunker. Didn't use Driver again after that hole, thankfully my 3 Wood was glorious :p

Too many bunkers too, never helps.

Managed to get around 12 holes on Saturday afternoon in level fives, had a birdie 2 and par 3 in that as well so there were a few 8's as well. So things are improving and just need to sort out my short game and should see a massive improvement. One of the par 5's I was about 100'ish yards out after 2 and pulled my 3rd into the trees and ended up with an 8 for what should have been an easy 5 for example.

As there was a 4 ball behind me I had the chance on the last few holes I played to play a few other balls from around the same place I was playing my approaches from and that seemed to help a bit so hopefully get a chance to do some further practicing this week if the course is quiet.

Went to the final day of the Scottish Open yesterday, was sitting in the grandstand behind 18 for the finale and watching that put roll in and no more was something else. Can see people moaning about getting a free drop due to a sprinkler head in the rough but the rules are the rules and people need to learn that they can help you as well as penalise you so make use of them when you can.

Back
Top Bottom