Golf Thread

Golf is something I have always wanted to get into but I've never known how.

For someone who is completely clueless on the game (but enjoy sports and being active and the nature of Gold appeals), where would be a good place to start?

Get a cheap set and head for a round (I live in Bristol and there seems to be a good choice in the area). Or book up some lessons (range?) and see if it for me? Is it expected I would have my own clubs?

Thanks
You can hire clubs are a lot of driving ranges so I'd maybe start there and see what you think. Better than splurging out on clubs to find out it's not for you.

You can hire clubs are a lot of driving ranges so I'd maybe start there and see what you think. Better than splurging out on clubs to find out it's not for you.
Good point, i'm going to do that now. I've found a local range that gives lessons and it seems reasonably priced. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Rich

Absolute dross this morning, the worst I've played since the first round of the club champs back in July and at least back then I had the excuse of strong winds and driving rain. Opened up with three doubles and a triple (6666)! I was mounting something of a comeback on the back nine, 16pts through the 16th, before blowing up on 17 and 18 carding a pair of sevens. A shame as I'd made a lovely up and down from 40 yards in the rough on 16 to save par. There were a couple of highlights during the round. First was my driving where I had a couple out at 210y on the 5th and 14th which given the damp, heavy conditions were probably as long as any I've ever hit out on course. Second was my 8i on the par 3 15th, got to my ball to find the pitch mark a yard in front. Admittedly its an elevated tee into a green that slopes gently back to front but that's the first time I've ever spun an iron back :D

Like a few others here I need to find some water proof shoes. My socks were soaking wet by half way round. Hopefully my shoes dry out by tomorrow morning.

Golf is something I have always wanted to get into but I've never known how.

For someone who is completely clueless on the game (but enjoy sports and being active and the nature of Gold appeals), where would be a good place to start?

Get a cheap set and head for a round (I live in Bristol and there seems to be a good choice in the area). Or book up some lessons (range?) and see if it for me? Is it expected I would have my own clubs?

Thanks

Find a local course and give them a call, a lot of places offer “get into golf” sessions, usually a few group lessons with clubs provided and the like, and usually pretty reasonably priced too :)

Took a trip to my local AG this morning to look for some shoes. Came away with these: https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf...ml?dwvar_395819_variantimage=grey/black/black

Having been out this afternoon I can report they were both extremely comfortable and kept my feet dry :) Also treated myself to a range finder, Shot Scope Pro L2. Dead easy to use and very useful for checking out required carries, layup distances beyond just zapping pins.

Took a trip to my local AG this morning to look for some shoes. Came away with these: https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-shoes/under-armour-mens-hovr-fade-2-wide-spikeless-golf-shoes-395819.html?dwvar_395819_variantimage=grey/black/black

Having been out this afternoon I can report they were both extremely comfortable and kept my feet dry :) Also treated myself to a range finder, Shot Scope Pro L2. Dead easy to use and very useful for checking out required carries, layup distances beyond just zapping pins.

comfy shoes - had some previously.

Yeah - upgrade my Rangefinder to a Bushnell V6. Sold old ping 3 wood and couple of wedges to Affordable Golf - they give you 20% uplift over the cash. So net trade up was around £120.

Played last comp today - nothing special. Hadn't hit a ball in 2 weeks. Nice to get out but pretty much the end of the season now. Just play some stableford over the winter and see what course we come back to in the new year as they are planning to change lots of stuff..... Not looking forward to it personally.

Par 71 to Par 69, 6 par 3's..... All in the name of adding a driving range which no one wants.... The joys of being under local authority ownership...

Sad to see if it goes ahead... A classic James Braid designed course....

All for investment in the course - irrigation/bunkers etc - but to change the layout, change holes, go to par 69.... Sad times as I've played the course for 35 years+....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

^ driving range will probably bring in extra income, help the long term stability of the course?

Edit: which seems to be their line of thinking looking at the planned renovations. And looking at those season ticket prices I don't think you can have much to complain about :eek: Incredible value for money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom