1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Half-Life: Alyx ***

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Cosmic Schwung, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Maximum Triceratops

Mobster

At chapter 3 now, all the memories of playing original Half Life come flooding back, brilliant.
    Playing with 4770k @ 4ghz, 16gig ram and 1080ti on high settings and runs great though it does say I'm running it at above recommended settings, have not tried ultra settings.

2. ezekial

Gangster

Would love to give this a try but not sure it is worth the investment in vr

3. lokiss

Mobster

https://i2.wp.com/babeltechreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Unconstrained-FPS.jpg?ssl=1

If you've an Index you can ram it to 144hz high on that 1080. Next time I log it, ill check out the ultra at that frequency having had no issues with performance at 120. I can't wait to see more games pick up on the engine, visuals are great and performance is rock solid.

4. DEL 707

Mobster

Just met Jeff.
    **** Jeff

5. Maximum Triceratops

Mobster

6. gbgt2

Gangster

I'm only at the end of chapter 3 and already many times I have thought "You can't be serious. You want me to go down there!?" :eek:

7. Wilko_Dog

Wise Guy

Jesus

8. markoboyo11

Wise Guy

Does anyone else blow on the end of their pistol after downing a few enemy's, western style............no.......just me. Oh well. :D

9. DEL 707

Mobster

I like to do an exaggerated recoil with the pistol when I shoot an explosive item. :p

10. DEL 707

Mobster

And completed.

Even though I still don't own my own headset, I really hope this game gives other developers/publishers some courage to explore VR.

11. melmac

Soldato

People are finishing this pretty quickly!!

I am taking my time and only playing it for an hour or so a day. Sometimes even skipping a day. I really want to make the experience last as long as possible.

12. Wilko_Dog

Wise Guy

Same! Although I think I will play through again as well. I then want to try out Boneworks next I think.

13. melmac

Soldato

I don't know how good your VR legs are but just a friendly warning!! Boneworks is really tough on the stomach.

14. Wilko_Dog

Wise Guy

quickly moved onto the stick movement on half life rather then teleport and I’m doing ok, by time I’ve finished this should have my “VR” legs haha ... Just had to take a 5 minute break though due to sweating, a head crap jumped out of me from no where and latched onto my face! Might have to take out my earphones!

15. lnoton

Mobster

So I've got a Vive 1. I'm assuming that good enough? Do I have to play this in my lounge? Or can desk based work? Moving my rig is quite problematic.

16. Participant

Caporegime

This game is actually making me consider a VR investment for the first time ever.

17. Zeb67

Associate

Finally finished with Jeff - that was satisfying :)

18. Wilko_Dog

Wise Guy

I was exactly the same, so glad I got one though as it is immense

19. ci_newman

Sgarrista

I'm using a first generation Vive with no problems at all.

As for desk based, at the very minimum you want "standing room" and even then you'll struggle a bit. I play in 2mx2m and I regularly exceed the boundaries. Seated gameplay just won't work properly.

20. melmac

Soldato

Yeah, that's good enough. But you would really need to be able to stand and turn around at the very least.