How many Focus ST owners on here

Associate
An extra tenner won't cripple me, far from it. But there are a lot of factors, I do go out for drives too. I was just trying to get a good idea on what it gets, my golf only gets 400ish until the light comes on so seems a lot that you can manage 380!

I think realistically this isn't really too bad to run and if I change offices to reduce miles it will work well for me.

Thats when I do a 350 mile drive to visit family, so a steady 70mph with one or two 50mph average speed zones and one or two stops at services and very little traffic - no chance I could manage this with short journeys/stop start traffic

Associate
Short journeys rinses fuel. My trip to work is 12 miles each way with some idling and I am lucky to get 24mpg. The most I ever saw was 32mpg on a long motorway cruise. I average roughly 225/230 miles before the light comes on.

My SLK55 does 31mpg on a cruise, that's from a 5.4 v8. The 5-pot is terrible haha.

Associate
My old MK2 ST was pretty terrible on fuel, managing about 22mpg around MK, out on the motorway I once got 30.

The Mk3 is much better, I can easily get 28mpg around town, and out on the motorway 38-40 is perfectly achievable. I think the start-stop helps quite a bit, but that's not what this is about.

If you are gentle on the throttle with the 5pot you can probably get about 25mpg. The main problem is that the engine note is so good that you cant help yourself :)

Associate
Why is it really that bad for the clutch? Mine is on 74k original clutch at the minute. How can u accelerate properly if the clutch is slipping?
Also is it true if I want the map taking off the car when I come to sell it I have to take it back to Revo and pay something like £150 to take it off?
And does a remap make the engine light stay on or is that just when u go down the de cat and other mods route?

mine was on 20k miles, mine started to slip in 5th on the 2nd week revo is quite a aggressive map the engine light will not come on thats only if you de cat it or 100 cell cat,im not sure if you have to pay to take it off.im on stage 2 now with the sps switch that does come in handy if I need to remove the battery,there are other maps out there like dream science which are also fantastic,check ebay etc you could get a deal on a second hand unit

Last edited:
Soldato
Trading in my GT86 and should be picking this one up in a couple days, just waiting on finance of part ex to go through.

Focus ST3 (Petrol/Manual)
Style Pack
Nav
Rear Cam

iHVNSMs.jpg
hBkIRwK.jpg
fuvC0xf.jpg
Vdhfjjp.jpg

Anything i should know before driving, any neat tips with SYNC or anything?

Soldato
Very nice. Love the colour. How's the performance compared to your GT86?

Not picked her up yet, waiting on Toyota to confirm payment of part ex so ford will take mine and release the ST.

Hoping it won't take long, Ford sent the money on Friday. Annoying as dealer is end of my road so keep driving past it!!

Soldato
Did u not take one for a long test drive before deciding to buy it:confused: I would have taken one out for a good blast to see what it's like first :D

Soldato
@ Dav4: The first ST I will have ever been in running will be mine when it comes that I ordered in October. I have only recently sat in one which was a dagdag ST1. Just not a selection in dealers to test drive where I live.

@ McDaniel: Nice car was it in stock?

Soldato
@ Dav4: The first ST I will have ever been in running will be mine when it comes that I ordered in October. I have only recently sat in one which was a dagdag ST1. Just not a selection in dealers to test drive where I live.

@ McDaniel: Nice car was it in stock?

No, i ordered it August 8th!!!!! Took over 5 months :(

Soldato
I don't normally take any notice of my MPG figures, but last night I filled up and it reminded me of the discussion in this thread, so I checked.

17mpg average :eek:

Short journeys and a heavy right foot :D

Associate
With remapped ST's and clutches some maps I found did give the clutch a harder time, others didn't. Example with my first ST, Dreamscience DSCI would make the clutch slip quite easily, though I admit this was partly down to me as they didn't recommend running it with a big bore downpipe, intercooler etc as these let the boost go higher than on a standard car. Changing to Mod B or Bluefin stage 3+ etc it was fine.

Even then it wasn't full-blown clutch slipping like mad, you'd just see the revs rise, drop and rise again ever so slightly around the 3k rpm mark if accelerating in a higher gear. I saw the same in a Mountune mapped ST, which caused a little bit of a stir at the time as they'd claimed the clutch would never slip on an MT260 car....the owner of the car had never noticed it and he left it as it was with no issues.

Going to Collins stage 2 with my facelift ST you would get the same now and then, must have run the car for 2 or 2 further years before I decided to get the RS clutch fitted and even then the old clutch wasn't in that bad condition once it was looked at.

With 100 cell sports cat my engine light stays off, in some very rare cases it would come on during colder weather and if car was driven really gingerly for several days (like during heavy snow) you'd get a cat sensor dtc but easily cleared with a code reader or pulling the KAM fuse, though I'd say it's always better checking what the error code is first.

Mpg-wise I'm generally hitting 25-27 with day to day running though I've never checked the accuracy against miles vs fuel put in the tank. Once or twice I've been caught out going on 'enthusiastic' drives with say 60 miles to go showing and the fuel light popping on a little bit earlier than expected. Resulting in 7 miles driven with 0 miles to go on the dash ;)

Associate
Thats when I do a 350 mile drive to visit family, so a steady 70mph with one or two 50mph average speed zones and one or two stops at services and very little traffic - no chance I could manage this with short journeys/stop start traffic

Short journeys rinses fuel. My trip to work is 12 miles each way with some idling and I am lucky to get 24mpg. The most I ever saw was 32mpg on a long motorway cruise. I average roughly 225/230 miles before the light comes on.

My SLK55 does 31mpg on a cruise, that's from a 5.4 v8. The 5-pot is terrible haha.

My old MK2 ST was pretty terrible on fuel, managing about 22mpg around MK, out on the motorway I once got 30.

The Mk3 is much better, I can easily get 28mpg around town, and out on the motorway 38-40 is perfectly achievable. I think the start-stop helps quite a bit, but that's not what this is about.

If you are gentle on the throttle with the 5pot you can probably get about 25mpg. The main problem is that the engine note is so good that you cant help yourself :)

So true.. I probably cost my old company hundreds just in the fuel spent in hard acceleration and sudden lift off..

gggrrrrrr pop pop BANG :)

Thanks.. Haven't been able to see him this weekend but will go one night next week for a blast out in it and see how it is.

Soldato
Well the ST is going, I've just put an advert up on focusstoc, really want it to go to someone who will look after it and enjoy it as much as I have.

Will probably be the saddest day of my life when she eventually leaves my life after 5 years and 2 months together :(

Back
Top Bottom