How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
Cambelt, waterpump and aux belt all get done at same time. I had mine done for £360 a few months back. Most other quotes were around 400.
If u can get the ST for 2.5k just buy it. As others have said even with depreciation etc you will still get your money back if u want to sell in the future.

Associate
Cambelt, waterpump and aux belt all get done at same time. I had mine done for £360 a few months back. Most other quotes were around 400.
If u can get the ST for 2.5k just buy it. As others have said even with depreciation etc you will still get your money back if u want to sell in the future.

Thanks, I am going to have a serious talk with him tonight in that case I think.

90 or 124 miles?

90 miles would cost me £13.60 in my ST and 124 would cost me £18.70.

I must have been tired... one trip at 60 miles then two at 16-17 so around 94 miles per week.

That's not too bad then so even if I said £20 a week I should be safe...

Soldato
If you don't get ~32MPG then it's either broke, or you're having right pedal addiction syndrome ;)

mmm.. according to my trip computer on several very long runs I never got over 30mpg on 2 of them.

In all honesty that was normally at a cruising speed of 85ish so I guess I could have gotten it down but I used to spend a LONG time on the road.. I did attempt to get it over 30mpg and I could only do it by sticking under 70.

Sure some are different but thats over the course of 125k in about 4 years.

Soldato
In the 4 months I've had my ST it's max mpg was 24.7. And my journey to work consists of 70% motorway on a 50 mile round trip :eek: works out £10 gets me to work and back once :(

Soldato
Yeah to be fair that was the only downside of a hugely enjoyable car for me.. I used to do round trips from bournemouth to crewe (fuel card.. I know it was a stupid choice of car but I wanted one SOOOOO badly) and I had to fill up before I left, fill up when I got there and fill up when I got home.

I averaged about 260 miles a tank...

And with that distance to cover you can go a bit mad so I did try cruising at various speeds.. gears.. accelerating as slow as was safe.. jumping into 6th ASAP etc etc and still never saw a reliable MPG north of 30.

Soldato
If you don't get ~32MPG then it's either broke, or you're having right pedal addiction syndrome ;)

Or you drive in traffic, like the vast majority of us do. Sitting on the A1 every day in the roadworks does absolutely nothing for my economy.

Clocks say I'm averaging about 22MPG at the minute. I used to use an app which always came back at about 25-27 pence per mile.

Last edited:
Soldato
I traded my last one something like 4 years ago but at the time it was about £55ish.. I seem to recall a small tank in it too which made the problem worse.

Associate
I usually get around 260 miles from full to just before the fuel light comes on. So around 310 miles to at full tank. This is with a complete mix of driving.

On a steady motor way run I can get about 380 miles from full to pretty empty.

The tank is 50l, so just under £50 to fill up at the moment.

If an extra £10 or so per week is going to cause issues, this really isn't the car for you... What if the fuel price goes up?... What if you just to go out for a drive?

Associate
My ST passed its MOT today without a single advisory :eek: I was fearing the worst but just glad there was nothing wrong.
Also got it serviced all filters changed and new spark plugs. Annoying heat shields also removed.
Now to get a Revo remap only charging £270 at the minute for them. :D

revo map is fantastic and will bring the car alive, note that you will need a rs clutch with in a few weeks,i managed to last out a year before I got sick of the slip

Soldato
Why is it really that bad for the clutch? Mine is on 74k original clutch at the minute. How can u accelerate properly if the clutch is slipping?
Also is it true if I want the map taking off the car when I come to sell it I have to take it back to Revo and pay something like £150 to take it off?
And does a remap make the engine light stay on or is that just when u go down the de cat and other mods route?

Soldato
A remap won't make the engine light stay on. Depending on who the map is from they sometimes remove the EML light when a de-cat is fitted.

Don't be fixed on revo just because you save a couple of quid. Go with who the best feedback is with.

Lots of mixed opinions regarding clutch life. Some say for example a Bluefin Stage 1 makes clutch slip pretty much instantly, where as Stage 2 is more forgiving.

I also believe you need to be slightly sympathetic towards a remapped car with a standard clutch. I got over 10k out of my standard clutch when the vRS was remapped. That went from 180/180 to 235/305.

Last edited:
Associate
I traded my last one something like 4 years ago but at the time it was about £55ish.. I seem to recall a small tank in it too which made the problem worse.

I usually get around 260 miles from full to just before the fuel light comes on. So around 310 miles to at full tank. This is with a complete mix of driving.

On a steady motor way run I can get about 380 miles from full to pretty empty.

The tank is 50l, so just under £50 to fill up at the moment.

If an extra £10 or so per week is going to cause issues, this really isn't the car for you... What if the fuel price goes up?... What if you just to go out for a drive?

An extra tenner won't cripple me, far from it. But there are a lot of factors, I do go out for drives too. I was just trying to get a good idea on what it gets, my golf only gets 400ish until the light comes on so seems a lot that you can manage 380!

I think realistically this isn't really too bad to run and if I change offices to reduce miles it will work well for me.

Soldato
A remap won't make the engine light stay on. Depending on who the map is from they sometimes remove the EML light when a de-cat is fitted.

Don't be fixed on revo just because you save a couple of quid. Go with who the best feedback is with.

Lots of mixed opinions regarding clutch life. Some say for example a Bluefin Stage 1 makes clutch slip pretty much instantly, where as Stage 2 is more forgiving.

I also believe you need to be slightly sympathetic towards a remapped car with a standard clutch. I got over 10k out of my standard clutch when the vRS was remapped. That went from 180/180 to 235/305.
Riverside racing in Liverpool seem to have good feedback and do a lot of RS and ST's. Plus Revo is quite a popular choice for the ST I believe. I can't justify travelling an extra 50 miles and spending an extra £80 to go to Collins.
I'm surprised the bluefin makes the clutch slip as I see a lot of people saying it's far too tame and isn't as good as a Revo or Mountine etc for powe gains.
I feel like I need to get it mapped as I'm just not loving the car at the minute :( it's not fast enough to give me that buzz when driving it. But at the same time I don't want added repair bills or the worry of a 1k RS clutch replacement by getting it mapped.

Back
Top Bottom