How many Focus ST owners on here

Caporegime
That can be an illusion sometimes with certain colours, just the joining line between the 2 surfaces can be enough to make the shades look different but once you view both of them face on they match up fine.

It isn't an illusion. Plastic bumpers are almost always a different shade to the rest of the car. Almost every car in existents has this to a certain degree if you look hard enough :p

Certain colours make it more apparent.

Soldato
It isn't an illusion. Plastic bumpers are almost always a different shade to the rest of the car. Almost every car in existents has this to a certain degree if you look hard enough :p

As above. Paint always reacts differently on different substrates so the chances of a metal panel and a plastic bumper matching are somewhere between slim to naff all.

It also doesn't help that some car manufacturers spray the bumpers in different factories altogether such as Audi.

Caporegime
As above. Paint always reacts differently on different substrates so the chances of a metal panel and a plastic bumper matching are somewhere between slim to naff all.

It also doesn't help that some car manufacturers spray the bumpers in different factories altogether such as Audi.

Indeed. I believe a lot of manufacturers have the plastic trim parts (bumpers/side skirts etc) sprayed elsewhere, and completely apart from the rest of the car.

Soldato
Anyone ever re-programmed the remotes for the facelift ST with the stop/start button?

Washed the car at length the other day, with the car unlocked for most of the time, and it seemed to drain the battery. When I went to lock the car, it would only let me lock it from very close.

When I went to open the car the other day, it wouldn't open/lock from any range. I had to use the key to open the car. Once inside the car was dead (couldn't even turn on the radio). Charged the battery overnight and I can now arm the immobiliser and the dash display will come on when I open the car.

However both the main and spare remotes will not unlock nor lock the car. I can only get the car to start by putting the key in the ignition, or holding the key close to the ignition barrel (it won't get recognised anywhere else).

I've read about re-programming the key by turning the ignition barrel to position II 4 times. However the ignition barrel on mine doesn't have positions as it does not move.

Any ideas?

Associate
Anyone ever re-programmed the remotes for the facelift ST with the stop/start button?

Washed the car at length the other day, with the car unlocked for most of the time, and it seemed to drain the battery. When I went to lock the car, it would only let me lock it from very close.

When I went to open the car the other day, it wouldn't open/lock from any range. I had to use the key to open the car. Once inside the car was dead (couldn't even turn on the radio). Charged the battery overnight and I can now arm the immobiliser and the dash display will come on when I open the car.

However both the main and spare remotes will not unlock nor lock the car. I can only get the car to start by putting the key in the ignition, or holding the key close to the ignition barrel (it won't get recognised anywhere else).

I've read about re-programming the key by turning the ignition barrel to position II 4 times. However the ignition barrel on mine doesn't have positions as it does not move.

Any ideas?

Is the process on how to do this not in the handbook?

If the key is working close to the barrel maybe the issue is with the receiver for the keys/locking rather than the keys themselves. Have you tried disconnecting the main battery for 15 mins or pulling a suitable fuse to see if receiver/module resets?

Common practice these days most painted components come in from external suppliers with only the bodyshell going through the manufacturers own paint process. While plastics and metals give different paint reactions this should mean that suppliers adjust their paint mixes so that the end result gives a match, not simply by using the same colour mix to start with. I see a lot of freshly painted new cars every day and colour matches are not an issue - this includes externally supplied parts plus bodyshells with plastic fenders which have gone through a common paint process.

Can be an issue during launch phases and early builds where decision is taken to ship without perfect match, seeing an early mk2 RS in green the plastic sills/skirts were a mile out but later builds looked much better.

Soldato
Is the process on how to do this not in the handbook?

If the key is working close to the barrel maybe the issue is with the receiver for the keys/locking rather than the keys themselves. Have you tried disconnecting the main battery for 15 mins or pulling a suitable fuse to see if receiver/module resets?

Yes - but the manual relates to an ignition barrel that moves 3 points (0, I and II). My ignition barrel is solid.

Soldato
Common practice these days most painted components come in from external suppliers with only the bodyshell going through the manufacturers own paint process. While plastics and metals give different paint reactions this should mean that suppliers adjust their paint mixes so that the end result gives a match, not simply by using the same colour mix to start with. I see a lot of freshly painted new cars every day and colour matches are not an issue - this includes externally supplied parts plus bodyshells with plastic fenders which have gone through a common paint process.

Can be an issue during launch phases and early builds where decision is taken to ship without perfect match, seeing an early mk2 RS in green the plastic sills/skirts were a mile out but later builds looked much better.

Working in the vehicle repair trade means dealing with painters day in, day out as well as paint reps and OEMs. It's widely accepted by even the paint manufacturers that paint will never react in the same way on different substrates, the operative can alter his application all he likes but the reaction is down to the lack of static in one substrate compared to the other. They won't and don't alter the mix to reflect the different substrates because there is no guarantee that any of them would match what's been laid over a metal panel.

If you think colour matching on new vehicles isn't an issue, a trip to spec savers could be advisable :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Gents,

My Fiesta ST is coming to the end of its PCP period and I wouldn't mind something a little bigger, so the Focus ST is on my radar. Is anyone able to shed some light as to whether the newer Focus will resolve some of my niggles with the Fiesta

- Bluetooth Music (from android or iphone) - does it display the artist song?
- Has anyone had any problems with the door sill lights on the Focus?
- Still got the pull of the fiesta, even in the midrange

And also?
- Is the ST3 worth the upgrade
- What are the 'must have' options?
- What are people paying for this through Ford on a PCP over 2/3 yrs?

Soldato
bluetooth works fine from my iphone and displays all info. I play from spotify
only done 2k miles but no problems with sill lights
never driven the fiesta

I never considered the ST2 (i also have an estate)
I have rear view camera and no nav which had to be reverse fitted. (mix up when ordering)
Mines on PCP 3 years im paying around £300 a month, Cash price before VAT and registration was around £22.8k (vs list price of just under £29k)

Soldato
I've seen this issue with the track names in my girlfriends car but not in mine. What age and trim level is your Fiesta?

Track names also came up fine in my metal that I had before. Only thing that doesn't work is the message read out and messages showing up on the head unit.

What phone do you use to connect?

Soldato
Bluetooth Music (from android or iphone) - does it display the artist song?

Had the odd problem where the display gets stuck on a certain song even though its changed to another.

Has anyone had any problems with the door sill lights on the Focus?

Nope but ive heard its pretty common. Not a big deal though as its got warranty if it does.

Still got the pull of the fiesta, even in the midrange

I would imagine it pulls better considering the increase in torque and bhp.

Is the ST3 worth the upgrade

For me I think the interior looks so much nicer with the full leather. The half and full cloth seats look pretty cheap looking to me.

What are the 'must have' options?

Ive got most non driver assist options and im happy with all of them. Only wish it had front parking sensors. Heated steering wheel is nice on a cold morning yet could live without. Ive never heard the stock sound system to compare to mine but premium sound is a cheap option on the ST3 so worth it imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above, sill plates are common enough issue to get noticed, but repaired under warranty

And bluetooth music.. my PFL MK3 ST3 just shows that you're listening to 'bluetooth audio' but I believe the FL MK3 ST3 has the track info (other model variants may also have it)

Soldato
Hi Gents,

My Fiesta ST is coming to the end of its PCP period and I wouldn't mind something a little bigger, so the Focus ST is on my radar. Is anyone able to shed some light as to whether the newer Focus will resolve some of my niggles with the Fiesta

And also?

Not sure on the Bluetooth side of things (don't use it for music) but my Focus displays the Artist / Track listing from USB (I have the Sat Nav unit with the bigger screen so this may be a factor).

I haven't experienced any issues with the door sill lights (on either my Focus or Fiesta).

Comparing stock to stock the Focus has more pull than the Fiesta. I would consider a Fiesta STMP215 similar to a stock Focus ST (I have owned both) but a MP275 Focus is noticeably "punchier" in the mid range. To drive the Fiesta wins hands down as it feels tighter and more nimble on the road and doesn't suffer from as much torque steer when Mountuned (note my Focus is a 2014.75 pre facelift model so the newer model may be slightly better in this regard). The Focus is still good to drive mind it is just the little Fiesta is a marvel.

My Focus is a ST-2 with every option ticked but I would still recommend the ST-3 as it has options which aren't possible on the ST-2. Heated seats, Xenons and full leather are all sought after and only available on the ST-3.

Caporegime
Hi Gents,

My Fiesta ST does this :confused: Does it not on the earlier ones?

Associate
Hi Gents,

And also?

Bluetooth - yes I think it does IIRC

Sill lights, never had a problem in either car

Focus feels slower than the Fiesta, but only because of the longer wheelbase, better sound insulation in the facelift - you are actually going worryingly quicker. It never feels as urgent to me, probably the extra size and weight. I do miss being able to thrash the Fiesta through all the gears, in the Focus you'd need a private runway to do this safely.

ST3 - Only way to get bi-xenon headlights, and power fold mirrors I believe, plus leather is nicer with the heated front seats (not as hot as the Fiesta)
Options -
Heated steering wheel is awesome (can't use sync touch with gloves on :o )
black wheels only available now as part of the 19" style pack upgrade unfortunately.
Rear camera is nice, but not that useful
Upgraded Sony speakers + Sub in spare wheel well are nice to have

Associate
Good news about the bluetooth, its massively annoying the FiestaST. Door sills I guess i'll have to live with (had 3 failures in 3 years on my Fiesta). Good news about the midrange then.

I suppose I'll aim to try and get it for £300 ish all in, with the hope I've got some value left in the fiesta

Back
Top Bottom