How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
Has it ever been explained why Ford decided to only make the ST and RS in 5 door when 90% of previous models were purchased in 3 door. :confused: it's an epic fail on there part.
I remember seeing designs floating round the interweb when the mk3 was coming out of a 3dr Focus Coupe which looked great and would have been great for the ST and RS. Kinda like what Vauxhall do well with the Astra and Astra Gtc which the Vxr is included in.

Soldato
They don't like it because it's better in every way and too many RS owners bought them for 'investment potential' so a new model is going to impact the artificially high values.

RS fan != RS owner. 'Better' is subjective. Maybe technically but styling is certainly subjective and even then, the 5pot burble is too. The market and it's 'artificially high' prices speaks volumes. Artificial or not, if people wouldnt pay the prices they wouldn't be that high. They pay those prices for a reason. That reason is a subjective one but apparently it's important to them :)

Associate
Has it ever been explained why Ford decided to only make the ST and RS in 5 door when 90% of previous models were purchased in 3 door. :confused: it's an epic fail on there part.
I remember seeing designs floating round the interweb when the mk3 was coming out of a 3dr Focus Coupe which looked great and would have been great for the ST and RS. Kinda like what Vauxhall do well with the Astra and Astra Gtc which the Vxr is included in.

They quoted that there wasn't the business case for continuing with a 3-dr model when the mk3 was launched. Strangely enough there was a case for doing the saloon even though it isn't imported into the UK. If they couldn't make the sums add up for the base models there's no way it'd work if only done for ST's and the RS.

With 5-dr sales of the mk 2 /2.5 I always wonder how many of these were actually the customers first choice, and how many down to the stock which dealers actually had available? that could give a false slant to the sales figures Ford would have worked from. Chicken & egg :rolleyes:

Soldato
Can someone help me what this is please driving home before and went over the lane markings joining the motorway which made the car vibrate then noticed it was not accelerating properly like there is no boost at all and the first 2 gauges are not moving while the other one has stayed at the top when driving.
What's happened :confused: has something come loose? Here's how it looks while moving the first 2 gauges are not responding at all
14scei9.jpg
[/IMG]

Soldato
left is oil temperature.

This will go up slowly, much slower than the water temp guage in the dash.

Middle is turbo boost pressure. This should go up as the turbo spins up. If you blip the throttle from a standstill and not in gear this should go up and down.

If it doesn't check a hose or hose clip hasn't popped off.

the right guage is oil pressure.

Soldato
I've just got home and started it up again and now the engine light is on :(
Going to have to take it the garage tomorrow.
When I'm accelerating and driving the turbo gauge is not moving at all and there is no boost so hopefully as u say maybe a hose or something has come loose? But I don't understand why that would effect the oil temp gauge also?

Soldato

Ford only make a 5dr version of the Mk3, as there isn't the demand for the 3dr amongst the cooking models. It is far too expensive to make a 1 off 3dr shell for the RS.

VW, who do give you a choice for the GTi sell far more 5 door cars than 3.

Soldato
how long was the drive? it really does take a while for oil temp to rise.

40 minutes. It only seemed to drop to the bottom at the same time as the turbo gauge did and stopped responding to acceleration. Would something coming loose have the same effect on both gauges? I've check for loss of fluids there's nothing leaking underneath etc.

Soldato
Very nice. I will keep an eye out for it.

I was thinking of going up to Days to see if they expect to get an RS in but probably unlikely.

They actually had one in a few weeks ago but it was ordered, they have nothing for stock. I'm on the waiting list for an RS which is about 12 months :(

Caporegime

Because the standard versions mainly sell in 5 doors and that's where the numbers/profits are.

Soldato
I've just got home and started it up again and now the engine light is on :(
Going to have to take it the garage tomorrow.
When I'm accelerating and driving the turbo gauge is not moving at all and there is no boost so hopefully as u say maybe a hose or something has come loose? But I don't understand why that would effect the oil temp gauge also?

Sounds like a MAF sensor problem. I had the same symptoms when I accidentally left it unplugged in my Fiesta ST :D If it's not working properly it will run without the turbo.

If it's that it's a cheap and easy fix (the part is about £30 and takes 5 mins to fit), but you need to clear the error code manually before it will come back to life. If you can't do that yourself it's a trip to the garage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like a MAF sensor problem. I had the same symptoms when I accidentally left it unplugged in my Fiesta ST :D If it's not working properly it will run without the turbo.

If it's that it's a cheap and easy fix (the part is about £30 and takes 5 mins to fit), but you need to clear the error code manually before it will come back to life. If you can't do that yourself it's a trip to the garage.

MAF sensor is considerably more than that. Cheapest place currently is Mr Auto @ £103.32.

Soldato
How do normal people fit in new Focus ST seats? I can't get my friggin shoulders or butt in them!

Define "normal".

I fit quite well. And I would think I'm average weight for 5ft11.

The side bolsters do give a bit after time though. But having said that, I'm surprised that they did not make them adjustable. I had some Recaro's once that you could turn a knob on the side to tighten / loosen them. Still got one of the seats (after market fit) in fact. Though the cats have long taken it as their own personal domain and sleep on / under it :)

Associate
Can someone help me what this is please driving home before and went over the lane markings joining the motorway which made the car vibrate then noticed it was not accelerating properly like there is no boost at all and the first 2 gauges are not moving while the other one has stayed at the top when driving.
What's happened :confused: has something come loose? Here's how it looks while moving the first 2 gauges are not responding at all
14scei9.jpg
[/IMG]

That will be the map sensor located in the intercooler cold side pipe. Get one from mister auto (A Bosch one) once fitted remove the cam fuse (no.26 under bonnet) for a few mins and that should get it all back to normal mate. :)

Suspended
Define "normal".

I fit quite well. And I would think I'm average weight for 5ft11.

The side bolsters do give a bit after time though. But having said that, I'm surprised that they did not make them adjustable. I had some Recaro's once that you could turn a knob on the side to tighten / loosen them. Still got one of the seats (after market fit) in fact. Though the cats have long taken it as their own personal domain and sleep on / under it :)

I'm 6ft and 13 stone. 34 inch waist. It's bone that gets in the way though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom