How many Focus ST owners on here

Associate
Orifice, are those 18's or 19's on the car I can't tell if they are genuine RS wheels?
I like the style of the RS wheels but don't really want to fit 19's on ours

Man of Honour
Orifice, are those 18's or 19's on the car I can't tell if they are genuine RS wheels?
I like the style of the RS wheels but don't really want to fit 19's on ours

They are genuine ford wheels, but the 18" version. I did look at the 19's, but couldn't really justify the extra tyre costs.

Associate
They are genuine ford wheels, but the 18" version. I did look at the 19's, but couldn't really justify the extra tyre costs.

I didn't think Ford offically made the RS style in 18 :confused: I've been wanting some for ages as I'd always liked the ST170 wheels but they are only 17's

lazy I know but where might I get some from?

Caporegime
I'm seeing ST's for sale on the usual sites for around £7k upwards. Is it possible to get a decent example for this amount or will they all be thrashed and abused until you spend more than £8-£9k?

Probably could nab a decent 55/06/56 plate for ~6k these days. Likely to have over 60k miles though.

2008 Facelifts seems doable for ~9k now.

Last edited:
Permabanned
What ever you do guys, dont buy a ST3 reg YL06 AUM. That was my company car for 3 wonderful years with free fuel.So it may have been thrashed a tad :p

Lovely cars actually and really miss mine, nowt went wrong for me over 95k odd miles, and wasnt too bad on fuel, 27-33 on the whole for me, but a lot of that was motorway. Great engine great car, bit lardy in the twisties, but otherwise awesome!

Associate
I got them off a ford dealer on ebay,NCC, part of the Foray motor group.

Cheers, might just get a set of these and leave the regular wheels with the winter tyres on.
Was going to get them refurbed but for £230 for the refurb vs £400 for 4 new makes the RS ones seems too cheap; especially considering the regular ST wheels are ~£215 each from Ford!

Man of Honour
especially considering the regular ST wheels are ~£215 each from Ford!

Thats the reason I went for four of these, instead of two new ST wheels to replace the buckled ones, the cheapest I could find the genuine ST wheels was £180 each, so bit of a no brainer really.

Soldato
I'm picking my ST up on Tuesday and was just wondering if it's worth getting a 3rd party extended warranty? It's getting it's 4 year service done tomorrow and it's on 22k miles.

Did many of you bother with an extended warranty, how much did it set you back?

Soldato
Haven't bothered with one no, if parts fail, id just end up upgrading them anyways :p
I'd imagine most of the warranties you could get your hands on wouldn't be worth the hassle anyways.

Associate
So I finally bit the bullet and got one :p

58 plate with 22k miles on the clock. It's in ASBO orange as to me whenever I think of a focus ST I always think of it in that colour.

Pick up in a few days :)

can i ask what made you go for the ST in the end?

Also did you try the competition i.e. GTi, VXR, Type R etc? If so what were your thoughts on them?

Permabanned
Thats the reason I went for four of these, instead of two new ST wheels to replace the buckled ones, the cheapest I could find the genuine ST wheels was £180 each, so bit of a no brainer really.

I love the standard ST wheels but they really did seem to be made of chocolate.

Our roads are terrible, and by the time I sold it (I removed the few month old tyres and put the original crap tyres back on before taking it to the dealer) they were all noticably buckled upon balancing them.

That includes the wheel that was brand new about a week after I bought it!

On the subject of STs, I'd really love another - such a lovely, effortless car on the road for those that enjoy a good blast. If only Ford bothered rating the Focus for towing :/

Soldato
can i ask what made you go for the ST in the end?

Also did you try the competition i.e. GTi, VXR, Type R etc? If so what were your thoughts on them?

My brother-in-law has a GTi so I had a drive of that, really nice car and very well defined however to me it just felt soulless and.....german?

Not a big fan of the VXR.

I owned an FN2 Type R for just over 2 years and loved it. The scream from that vtec engine is unreal and addictive, however, I had to get rid of it due to circumstances causing me to do a LOT of miles. That was a sad day :(! I didn't want to go back to a Type R as I had already owned one and since I have loved the ST since day one I thought i'd give one a drive and look into them. :)

Soldato
I love the standard ST wheels but they really did seem to be made of chocolate.

Our roads are terrible, and by the time I sold it (I removed the few month old tyres and put the original crap tyres back on before taking it to the dealer) they were all noticably buckled upon balancing them.

That includes the wheel that was brand new about a week after I bought it!

On the subject of STs, I'd really love another - such a lovely, effortless car on the road for those that enjoy a good blast. If only Ford bothered rating the Focus for towing :/

THIS!!! I buckled 2 of my wheels on the red one and to be honest I barely ever had a time there wasn't some wobble through the wheel at certain speeds, seemed practically impossible to balance properly.

I would be tempted to have thought it'd been in a huge shunt if I hadn't owned it from new.

Associate
This is an interesting point about buckled wheels, on STOC there has been a lot of talk about wheel vibration most seem to blame the tyres (mainly the Falken FK452) but nobody really seems to blame the wheels.
I assume that your tyre fitter would inform you that the wheel was square when trying to fit new rubber?

Permabanned
I buckled 2 wheels aswell, but i put it down to constanly having to mount kerbs at home, plus i kept 'kerbing' them aswell. Whilst having uber low profile tyres and massive rims gives you cool point, they just arent usable on our fine roads ime.

Soldato
This is an interesting point about buckled wheels, on STOC there has been a lot of talk about wheel vibration most seem to blame the tyres (mainly the Falken FK452) but nobody really seems to blame the wheels.
I assume that your tyre fitter would inform you that the wheel was square when trying to fit new rubber?

can't really comment here as I exclusively used the FK452, good price, decent performance and to be honest I was doing so many miles I couldn't afford anything else. I should probably have ditched the car and got something cheaper but I was in love with it :)

Soldato
Car is all polybushed now, was an interesting drive home :eek:

Came away with a Forge Actuator today as well, and my goodies from Code:Red in Germany have arrived this morning, gear knob, handbrake cover, and a stainless header tank :D

Caporegime
Car is all polybushed now, was an interesting drive home :eek:

Came away with a Forge Actuator today as well, and my goodies from Code:Red in Germany have arrived this morning, gear knob, handbrake cover, and a stainless header tank :D

Ooh more pics to follow then :)

Is that the actuator that is a complete and utter bar steward to fit?

Back
Top Bottom