How many Focus ST owners on here

My brother spray painted the awful silver surrounds around the front and rear fogs, in the body colour (blue), looks much better now. Not sure why they had them like that from factory.. will get a pic up soon.

Well turned down a 2nd car which was another good deal but the alarm bells went off again.

Was a 2007 panther black ST-2 with 40k and the description said FSH, MOT till OCT, owner said he was 2nd owner.

After doing a HPI and MOT check. It had 3 previous owners, them 3 was in the first 5000miles and the car had that mileage up till 05/2010, then the new owner bought it. The MOT that was done in 05/2010 shown that the car had a worn front tire to the wire so failed the MOT. MOT wasnt 10/2012 as detailed but infact 05/2012. And it only had 1 stamp in the book which isn't FSH. Owner also said he has had the car 3 years, after looking at the checks he had it for just under 2 years, big difference to get mistaken on though.

Guy did seem genuine and not to clued up about any of the questions I was asking him. Soon as i think something is a bit wrong, I will just leave it.

Shame aswell as insurance premiums will rise tomorrow with it being April, Adrian flux have mentioned this. If it rises to much over the £1500 I have been quoted, i will leave it and look for another car.

Last edited:
My brother spray painted the awful silver surrounds around the front and rear fogs, in the body colour (blue), looks much better now. Not sure why they had them like that from factory.. will get a pic up soon.

Mine are plastidipped black ATM, they should have been black from the start, not the horrible grey colour.

So what goes wrong with these things then? Are service costs reasonable etc, cambelt or camchain and do they need doing if the latter? Don't know a lot about them, but assume parts are "sensible" price wise?

Reliable cars or prone for things like turbos, dual mass flywheels etc? Don't know a lot about them but they're getting cheap now, would be looking at pre facelifts I think... :)

Is a electric orange ST a bit to daring? :D

1 up for £7.7k 07reg/30k/1owner/ FSH.... Think I want black though or maybe even silver.

Red = no, had enough of the fiesta red
Sea grey = doesn't match the car I don't think
Blue = to common
White= hmmm depends

Ours is blue, but I'd be torn between blue or the orange if I had to choose again.
I think the orange suits the car, but it can be difficult to paint match for and if you get anything other than ST3 trim you get orange seats inside which isn't really everyones taste

I had red then orange, I thought the orange suited the car a lot more and even though I'd had one for ages people seemed to notice the orange a lot more.

Plus to be honest it got a lot more positive attention than you'd expect, it puts a smile on people's faces although I don't know how much of that was the fact I'd bought it with a car allowance and kept getting out of it all suited up which is something of a surprise to people :)

I'd probably want EO, but only for a day, and then the novelty will ware off.

I went for Sea Grey as I didn't want my car to stand out like a sore thumb. I have a personal love for grey cars.

015.jpg

014.jpg

I also really like the Silver too

I did fancy a sea grey, I had a magnum grey mk1 focus TDCI Sport and I thought the colour really suited the shape.

I wouldn't have another red or a black, the non metallic paint was like it was made out of butter.. it scratched and chipped so easily it was ridiculous.

I always thought white looked epic, very good heritage for fast fords too. The new pearlescent white is amazing.

So what goes wrong with these things then? Are service costs reasonable etc, cambelt or camchain and do they need doing if the latter? Don't know a lot about them, but assume parts are "sensible" price wise?

Reliable cars or prone for things like turbos, dual mass flywheels etc? Don't know a lot about them but they're getting cheap now, would be looking at pre facelifts I think... :)

Oil filter diapragm - £200 fitted - Obvious symptom of sounding like a spaceship under your bonnet, noise disappears when lifting the dipstick.
Alternator - Average around 5 years or 35K miles i've been told. £200 fitted. I'm on 33K at the moment so here's hoping mines OK.

Injectors need replacing for the RS version if you're heading north of 320bhp. RS Clutch will probably need fitting if you're going Stage 2 or above £700-£900 fitted.

Wheels are supposedly made of cheese and quite easy to buckle, but i'm not sure how true that is.

Turbo is reliable, no issues reported as of yet on the Owners forum it would seem. Same with the DMF.

Nip over to www.focusstoc.com/forums for a boat load of information.

I had a new turbo on one of mine but I personally think ford misdiagnosed it, there was a sort of tapping noise when it was cold but only briefly, as soon as it warmed up it went.

They replaced the turbo (I bought a 2nd hand one so all in it cost me £400 because I was about 2k miles over my 60k although well under 3 years.. fords "service" was terrible no matter how much I loved the car) and the noise went away... for a while.

To be honest I thought it was something to do with the manifold eventually, I left it with Tremona garage in southampton and they found a bunch of loose bolts in that area which they tightened but that made no difference to the sound, eventually I wound up ignoring it.

Other than that, no faults at all with mine, it always started, always ran fine.. the only major problem for me was that it ate tyres and fuel but that's hardly a surprise to anyone. The service interval was also very short but again, you'd expect that I've just become used to stupidly long intervals now with the beemer.

I wouldn't get white on the pre facelift ST. It was a horrible "white", and never looked good at all.

It was more a beige dirty white

Wow... I couldn't disagree with you more lol.. but then choices like this are personal and everyone has an opinion. I can't bare any car in black but again thats just me! :)

Older cars, if the oil filter diaphragm hasn't gone, it will go, if you boost it too much when it's gone you'll suck oil through the camshaft oil seals (like mine), £150 from volvo and a day of your time to fix. Newer cars don't seem to have this problem.

Again with most of Ford's Mk.2 Focus' the alternator will go sooner rather than later, don't know how much that will be to fix, mine hasn't went yet.

If you're going to mod it, clutch slip is inevitable, so about £700 for an RS clutch. MAF sensors seem to be going every now and then, then there's other people who's Boost control solenoids are giving up.

a lot of peoples drivers side CV boots have went, (mine included). Haven't heard a lot of people's turbo's going, have heard a few of peoples are killed due to cracked liners, can occur on modded and standard cars, 07 cars are supposedly weaker, yet mines running fine at 316BHP at the minute and has done since August.

Bushes will obviouslly go on most cars, but my front ones were supposed to be oil filled, but when we pressed them out to replace them with polyurethane ones, there was no oil in them whatsoever.

Having mine for 2 years, so far I've had, oil diaphragm go plus bursting the camshaft oil seals (will get them changed when I get the cam belt done), drivers side CV boot burst, clutch slip due to modding, and the bonnet lock mechanism breaking.

Back
Top Bottom