How many Focus ST owners on here

lol, you've just reminded me that the steering pump went on my red one which was apparently also a recall, the seat height thing broke and the bonnet lock broke. I also had a serious oil leak from the turbo.

Funny how you forget these things when you love something :)

I've just checked VOSA and AA for recalls and they mention nothing about the Power Steering pump, are you sure it was a recall? Might check with Ford and see if mine is due anything.

Maybe it was the alternator that got done as a recall? It's a long time ago to be honest but Ford definitely told me there was something they all needed to have done.

Although to be fair Ford told me all sorts of balls when I owned mine. They were definitely the weak link in the chain. The fact they didn't see any issue with trying to charge me £1500 for a turbo on a 2.5yr old car that was slightly over it's 60k miles and had gone slightly over a couple of services really irked me.

I get that it was technically out of warranty and that I'd slightly missed the intervals but without any real consideration (considering I'd bought 3 brand new cars from that dealership along with all their servicing etc, and they could clearly see I was munching motorway miles) the way they said no help, no goodwill, no reduction in pricing etc was shocking.

they wouldn't even tow the bloody thing to a garage that would repair it cheaper for me.

Needless to say Hendys won't be getting any money from me anytime soon.

EDIT:

here you go...

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/31798-power-steering-recall/

That was such a PITA... it covered the underside of my car in fluid like grease and made the car impossible to drive, the steering got heavier and heavier as I was trying to limp it back to my work car park then just pretty much stuck. They had a right old time trying to get it on the flatbed.

Then they fixed it (this was under warranty) but again thought nothing of handing it back absolutely caked in whatever fluid had all exploded out of the pump.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Powerflex lower engine mount bush, get the old one pressed out when it arrives. Still got to get a spring and can get my Forge Actuator put on at some point as well.

Big thanks to liquidfox, matt and mucky pup for the advice/info, all noted down :)

And good to have it in this thread for future Q's from folks!

You're welcome :) Just noticed that nobody answered your question about Cambelts though, it's a 125K/10Y service item, most people change them around 80K/8Y just to be safe, although John who does most of the North East servicing says Ford's recommendation is fine. I'd imagine the cost to be around £200-£300 from an independant. Ford will want considerably more i'd imagine.

Also, welcome from me... mine wasn't exactly fuss free motoring but I did hammer the miles on them and didn't service them very well as I was broke at the time but they were still easily the most fun cars I've ever owned.

I've had easy cruising cars (ST24 and my 320d now) and fun cars like my 205 1.9gti but the ST does either depending on your mood. I looked at VXRs, Type Rs etc when I was buying and the ST was easily the most comfortable and at the same time pretty much as fast/fun as any of the others but importantly the performance comes easily (unlike the Type R which was awesome but you have to wring its neck to make it come alive which is tiring) and drama free (unlike the rather on/off nature of the VXR).

Great cars.. If I was on a fuel card again I'd have to seriously talk myself out of another one. The 20k plus I do on motorways make diesel and cruise and even auto a bit of a must now. Bloody life.

Seriously thinking about getting one of these, I love them. It would be my second car and with 1 year NCB the insurance would actually be cheaper than my current 10 year old 1.25 Fiesta, go figure!

someone has something very wrong there, or you're paying an absolute fortune for your fiesta.

My ST cost a fair bit to insure!

Well I am paying a lot for my Fiesta, but what I'm paying fits in well with what others in my area are paying.

No idea really, just worked out less than I'm paying now, but not what I'd be paying for my renewal this year on the Fiesta, that would be less by quite a bit. Done quotes in a few places and mostly the result was the same!

I have a 10 month policy now, but the 12 month price was around £1,650 TPFF. Just done a new quote now and it seems to be slightly more than it was, but only by about £50. This is of course without shopping round properly but fully comp and with no voluntary excess too... This is also without adding my Mum or Dad to the policy which reduced mine by a good £200 with the Fiesta...

The only down side is most of the cheaper ones have a £1,000 excess. But mine is £500 now plus £250 voluntary.

Unless I'm missing something totally stupid?!

EDIT: An ST3 is more expensive by about £150 than an ST2... lol

I've just found a quote at £1596 with £300 excess and breakdown cover included on a 2008 ST2 :\

Last edited:
how old are you? Also I can understand fully comp on a more expensive car being cheaper than third party on a heap, perhaps you're less likely to drive it like a knob.

To be honest, I hadn't figured you'd be young with adding family etc to reduce the premium, I doubt there's much rhyme or reason to premiums at that end of the market.

I hated paying £600 a year when I had 9 points lol, age=win... occasionally.

how old are you? Also I can understand fully comp on a more expensive car being cheaper than third party on a heap, perhaps you're less likely to drive it like a knob.

To be honest, I hadn't figured you'd be young with adding family etc to reduce the premium, I doubt there's much rhyme or reason to premiums at that end of the market.

I hated paying £600 a year when I had 9 points lol, age=win... occasionally.

I'm 26. Birthday is in July.

Yeah I got my first one when I had 6 points and was 29 although I did have a fair bit of ncb then even so it was only £500ish.

That needs adjusting from 2006 though I guess.

ST2 worth 8k
Fully comp Business insurance

I am 23, 3years exp and NCB. With 3 points.

£1545 my premium.
£700 excess

Those points must be hurting you badly...

23, 5 yrs NCB, 0 points

I found that business insurance doesn't really affect my premium, used to have it on the ST when I used to the car to travel to different surgeries. Think I only paid a small admin fee

Nope only pc30 which hasn't effected my premium at any company. It is because insurers seem to think my postcode is in afghan or something.

Though I live on a really quiet road that has about 3 cars every hour go down it and my car is on a drive.

Back
Top Bottom