How many Focus ST owners on here

Been to Ford to test drive it. It actually has 12,000 on the clock. :)

They are going to service it, refurbish the alloys for me, an give it a full mechanical check over etc. I've asked them the check the gearbox linkage which I didn't think was perfectly smooth in neutral when moving side to side (but I have nothing to compare with to might be normal) and I thought the brake calipers looked a little corroded. I'm probably being extremely fussy.

After they have sorted that out i'll give them £13,000 which seems OK from a main dealer and for the mileage.

As for what I thought about it, it seems less raw than my modified Skoda which is probably to be expected. The power seems to swell with the revs rather than hit you in the face. The ride is sort of as firm as the Skoda while being much more comfy. More feedback through the steering, but maybe a little less "settled" in higher speed corners. Good stuff mostly. :)

mpg.png

Not bed ey ;)

Just got the 35.8 this weekend, was 90% motorway miles, but still impressive :D

I just managed 29.3MPG over 450 miles of mixed driving according to my FuelApp thing. That's including a bit of everything, but severely lacking in boost. Most boring week and a half ever. The engine never saw over 2K.

Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a new car. I currently drive a mk 6 fiesta zetec s that I share with my gf. We are looking for a car that is a little bit larger.

We are thinking of a focus but want something with a bit of speed and power so are looking at 1.8 zetecs and st's.

I know the st's are much higher performance than the 1.8s but how would they compare in fuel costs and annual maintenance? We don't have a large knowledge of running costs other than the fiesta which we've had for the last 4-5 years.

Insurance shouldn't be an issue for us and isn't a deciding factor between these two cars.

We are thinking of A3's as well but having had trouble free motoring with our fiesta we are drawn to the ford.

On the 2 years of owning my st I've had zero issues with the car. I've had to change the brakes and tyres but that's it, along with the regular oil change etc... It's a good drive, can feel a little stiff over the bumps but it handles really well when um... Going a little quicker than normal. The noise alone from the 5 pot engine is worth the buy ;) don't expect good fuel economy though. I'm sat at 22.4 mpg but I do a lot of short trips and I'm not light on the peddle either.

Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a new car. I currently drive a mk 6 fiesta zetec s that I share with my gf. We are looking for a car that is a little bit larger.

We are thinking of a focus but want something with a bit of speed and power so are looking at 1.8 zetecs and st's.

I know the st's are much higher performance than the 1.8s but how would they compare in fuel costs and annual maintenance? We don't have a large knowledge of running costs other than the fiesta which we've had for the last 4-5 years.

Insurance shouldn't be an issue for us and isn't a deciding factor between these two cars.

We are thinking of A3's as well but having had trouble free motoring with our fiesta we are drawn to the ford.

Depending on which spec of focus (Titanium comes with 18" wheels too) then certain costs will be similar...

Fuel: I average 28MPG (probably get 35 with a 1.8)
Servicing: Routine is £99 with Ford (same with a 1.8, except major service is more on the ST)
Tax: £280 (£80 more)
Tyres: £100 a corner (same depending on wheel size)
Insurance: £420 (~£150 more for me)

Parts are generally very cheap, and I've had nothing go wrong *touch wood* so far, other than front bushes (£100) and CV joint (£70), these are common issues due to wear and tear (having lowered springs makes it worse too :P)

Hello ST owning dudes.

I am currently looking at Focus ST's, but I am exceptionally picky. I currently own a JDM EP3 Type R for playing in and a 1.8 FN shape Civic which is our daily car. Plan is to get rid of both cars and just have the 1 "comprimise" car. ST ticks all the boxes more than anything else, so I settled on getting one.

All this optional extra stuff annoys the living daylights out of me as there are so many for sale and so many different options to check to see if the car has it before ruling it out. I hate it...... So here first of all is my list of must have's from my research so far:

Budget = £13,000
09 plate is oldest I want, can't afford newer than 10/60 I don't think.
3 Doors
< 30k miles
Has to be an ST-3

Now, optional extra's. Please can someone provide me a link to the possible combinations of extra's on the ST-3 or a definitive list? Another list of what I want and a list also of what I think you can have but don't know much about etc:

Climate Control - want (easy to see if they have this from interior pic)
Bluetooth - want (if they have climate control, do they automatically have bluetooth?)
Start button - as above?
Xenon headlights - as above?
Auto headlights/wipers - DGAF about these, but as above?
Keyless entry - ?
Full screen sat nav - ?
Rear privacy glass - ?

I am hoping there was set packs which gave you a combination of the above, rather than it being all individually spec'd/upgraded when bought new.....

And lastly, the darker anthracite/black wheels on a lot of them i see for sale, was this to represent a certain later model, or was that purely another optional extra?

Appreciate any help and apologies for the lengthy post. I know this information is out there but seeing it all definitively in one place and accurate etc, not so easy!

Thanks!

All ST3s have Xenons, and all have the start button. Not all have bluetooth, it was an option, I think even with the touch screen nav you had to spec bluetooth as well. I've got a list of all the options at home, but I'm at work at the moment, if I remember I'll post it up, or if you go to parkers you can buy a buyers pack for about £2 that includes the list of what was standard and what was an option. There was some packs, iirc, mines got the vision pack, which is auto lights, auto wipers, dimming mirror.

Black wheels was an option on the last few years I think.

Climate Control - want (easy to see if they have this from interior pic)
Bluetooth - want (if they have climate control, do they automatically have bluetooth?)
Start button - as above?
Xenon headlights - as above?
Auto headlights/wipers - DGAF about these, but as above?
Keyless entry - ?
Full screen sat nav - ?
Rear privacy glass - ?

I am hoping there was set packs which gave you a combination of the above, rather than it being all individually spec'd/upgraded when bought new.....

And lastly, the darker anthracite/black wheels on a lot of them i see for sale, was this to represent a certain later model, or was that purely another optional extra?

Climate Control - easy to see if they have this from interior pic - Correct
Bluetooth - Only way to find out is press the green phone button, if it mutes the sound, it doesn't have bluetooth.
Start button - Standard on all facelift models (>2008)
Xenon headlights - Standard on all facelift models and pre-facelift ST2+3
Auto headlights/wipers - Optional extra, part of "Vision Pack"
Keyless entry - Only way to check is test it out, or press the button on the drivers side door next to the interior door handle.
Full screen sat nav - Option, easy to tell from interior pics, if you have Sat Nav, Climate Control comes as standard.
Rear privacy glass - Option, and one I would never tick

10/60 cars are more likely to have all the boxes ticked, as they sold off the last of the models.

Spot on advice guys. Thank you very much.

I assumed it was similar to the EP3 "premier" model where it came with all the wee extra's as they came end of life.

So from the above there are no options I have not picked up on. The above covers all possibles in an ST-3?

Thank you again for the advice.

Parking sensors, UV blocking windscreen thinghy (can't remember the correct term, think it was part of the vision pack), reverse camera on the later models. USB connection was an option too I think.

Parking sensors, UV blocking windscreen thinghy (can't remember the correct term, think it was part of the vision pack), reverse camera on the later models. USB connection was an option too I think.

Bloody hell. I wish there wasn't so much as it's making me needlessly want a car with them ALL, when in reality I think the most of them are just nonsense.

Thanks for info :cool:

Back
Top Bottom