How many Focus ST owners on here

Hi all,

Picking my ST up on Saturday. I have read about people using premium fuel in them rather than standard fuel. Is there any benefit to this? I had a skim through the manual earlier and it said use 95ron fuel (I think)

I hear using a better rated petrol helps when you have a remap. I mostly use esso 97 Ron as that's the nearest one to me. Shell is at the other end of town.

The only downside is that the gearbox is a bit clunky when driving slowly in traffic, and there's a fair bit of cabin vibration. Apparently that's normal though from what I've read.

It seems a bit hesitant / jerky when feathering the throttle in 2nd somethimes too. Can't quite work out what it is, maybe the engine mounts or the engine miss-firing slightly.

Uprated torque mount and RS plugs will sort those out I believe.

You've been getting robbed! Year 3 was £300, but that included the inspection (£?) and some new wipers (£40) for me

I'm not saying I ever actually paid that :p

Hi all,

Picking my ST up on Saturday. I have read about people using premium fuel in them rather than standard fuel. Is there any benefit to this? I had a skim through the manual earlier and it said use 95ron fuel (I think)

I hear using a better rated petrol helps when you have a remap. I mostly use esso 97 Ron as that's the nearest one to me. Shell is at the other end of town.

Ford stated that the original power figures were obtained on 95RON. They also said that using higher RON could give a power increase of up to 5% meaning 12BHP. I use it because of the map I'm on, but also the fact it only costs a couple of quid extra per tank.

Last edited:
It's standard at the moment but I will be looking at getting it mapped in the future. Does the higher ron offer better MPG in some instances? I read differing results about if the higher price is justified by better economy?

It's standard at the moment but I will be looking at getting it mapped in the future. Does the higher ron offer better MPG in some instances? I read differing results about if the higher price is justified by better economy?

Nothing that you'll notice, you're probably talking less than 1-2MPG difference at most I'd imagine, and even that could be down to the circumstances and have nothing to do with the fuel at all.

After having my new intercooler fitted my horn no longer works. I've checked the fuse and its fine, I even swapped it for a new one just in case. When I push the horn I hear a little clicking noise coming from near the fuse box so i'm guessing all is fine within the steering whell. Is it possible he damaged a wire moving the intercooler? I read some instructions on fitting an intercooler and it says you have to remove the horn cable when fitting so it could be possible he didn't put it back in place when done?

Hi all,

Just picked my st up. I had a message on the dash say low tyre pressure, I checked and they are 33 all round (as the manual says) any ideas on what the problem is?

Best colour Slinkie ;) well done!

Thanks!

Still trying to work out the tyre pressure stuff, sticker in side the drivers door says 33 on the front and 30 at the back. Went to the garage this morning to double check and everything was ok. I need to go through the manual to figure it out and get it to stop showing a type pressure warning on the dash

Focus ST - are these prices right for parts and fitting?

Hi there,

Hopefully someone with a bit of knowledge can help out here.

My car is in for a service and MOT at the moment and it has failed. Not a big deal to me as I expected it but I have been told I need the following and their costs -

Front lower suspension arms (one standard on passenger side, the other has another arm coming from it which controls the headlight balancing system and it is cracked slightly so it can be repaired but recommended to pay the extra £180) - £300 for the left arm, £480 for the right, including the extra section that needs to be welded on - Total £780 and these are apparently the genuine Ford arms.

Battery - £110

Front discs and pads - ~£250

I am pretty sure the discs and pads are a correct diagnosis as braking could be better and the steering didn't feel quite right so the arms could also be correct.

Am I being completely ripped off with the pricing or is that about accurate? I am not really in a position to buy the parts and fit them myself so I will have to rely on a garage somewhere.

Already paid £525 for the 4 Michelin tyres and £160 for the MOT + service so this extra is a bit of a bummer.

Get the discs and pads yourself and maybe the other parts of ebay, i can see front disc and pad sets for £65, it will only take a garage 1.5hrs to fit so should be no more than £150 all in.

I replaced all my discs and pads for £500 after vw wanted over 1k, i got them all from ebay brembo and gave them to the garage to fit. this was for a Toureg with monster dics been a v10 :)

Back
Top Bottom