How many Focus ST owners on here

For reference, mine cost £12,000, is a 59 plate with all those options bar the Sat Nav.

I skipped that as I have a Tomtom. I also got the MP260 upgrade in that price.

For reference, mine cost £12,000, is a 59 plate with all those options bar the Sat Nav.

I skipped that as I have a Tomtom. I also got the MP260 upgrade in that price.

What mileage was on your car at purchase man? And from dealer or privately?

From what I see a <18k miles 59 onwards with top spec is going to cost me around £12,500ish so sounds you got a really good price. Especially with the Mountune upgrades on there, I did actually see one priced in amongst all the usual one's and it had the Mountune upgrade so either the dealer was clueless or people don't see it as adding value to the car at sale.

So, options list I believe looks something like this...

Global Close Windows
Privacy Glass
Vision Pack (Solar Reflect windscreen, auto wipers, auto dimming mirror, auto lights)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth + USB
Rear Parking Aid
Mobile Navigation
Premium/DVD Navigation
Sony DAB Radio
Sunroof
Metallic Paint
Side Stripes
OTT Stripes
Climate Control
3 Pin Power Socket in rear (?!)
Deflation Detection System/Tyre Pressure Sensors
Key Free System
Spare Wheel

What's everyone's thoughts on the ST?

They're not bad, not sure you'll get a particularly unbiased answer in this thread really ;) :D

Just updated the bluetooth module on mine, can now use my old ipod without having to use an AUX cable! Woo! :D

Thanks very much for that Andi, much appreciated.

I now know what I want. Pretty much as much of the above as possible, minus those god awful stripes...... Who spec'd those and PAID more to have them when buying new :O (waiting on someone saying they did, will lol).

;)

I've seen a few STs that fall into my price range and will hopefully be having a look at them today. Is there anythng in particular I should be looking at, any common problems that may need to be resolved.

The cars in question are 60 plate ST-2s if that makes any difference.

Did you have OEM bluetooth?

Yep, OEM Bluetooth + USB, updated it to the latest firmware. :)

I've seen a few STs that fall into my price range and will hopefully be having a look at them today. Is there anythng in particular I should be looking at, any common problems that may need to be resolved.

Any reason you want a 60 ST-2 over an older ST-3? :)

It's just a nice example with low miles. I have seen ST3s as well so I guess the question goes for both marks.

I am looking to buy from a main dealer who I have lots of history with (they have been brilliant with my zetec S that I'll be trading in) so it does reduce the options rather than buying privately.

First off, try and find an ST3.

Secondly, the engine should be solid, common problems found in the earlier years of the ST should have been fixed for a 60 plate.

You are generally just looking out for wear and tear. Check the steering wheel, is it wobbling too much? Then the bushes are probably shot.

Has the car been re-mapped? If so, check the clutch, put it in 4/5th about 30mph and boot it, if it slips, you need a new clutch...

First off, try and find an ST3.

Secondly, the engine should be solid, common problems found in the earlier years of the ST should have been fixed for a 60 plate.

You are generally just looking out for wear and tear. Check the steering wheel, is it wobbling too much? Then the bushes are probably shot.

Has the car been re-mapped? If so, check the clutch, put it in 4/5th about 30mph and boot it, if it slips, you need a new clutch...

The only issue is see with the ST-3 is the 2 seats in the back. What are the major advatages to having an ST-3 over an ST-2 (leather seats etc aren't a deal breaker for me)

The only issue is see with the ST-3 is the 2 seats in the back. What are the major advatages to having an ST-3 over an ST-2 (leather seats etc aren't a deal breaker for me)

If you aren't fussed on leather seats, and are happy with the grey/colour cloth combo then go for the ST2.

I love the heated leather seats, and the leather inserts on the door cards, but that's just me...

Have a sit in an ST-3 though, I wasn't that fussed about leather, but the ST-3 interior makes it such a nicer place to be! You tend to get better options specced on the ST-3s too.

Servicing: Routine is £99 with Ford (same with a 1.8, except major service is more on the ST)

That'll just be the Year 1 service, Year 2 is around £250-£300 if I remember rightly, and Year 3 is around £400.

Parts are generally very cheap, and I've had nothing go wrong *touch wood* so far, other than front bushes (£100) and CV joint (£70), these are common issues due to wear and tear (having lowered springs makes it worse too :P)

CV Joint for £70? I thought you could only buy the Driveshaft for £400-£500?

I'll get some pictures up over the weekend once i've cleaned it.

Loving the car so far though, effortless to make progress in. Definately quicker than the Skoda now i've tested it on some familiar roads. It just doesn't always feel it with the smoother power delivery.

The only downside is that the gearbox is a bit clunky when driving slowly in traffic, and there's a fair bit of cabin vibration. Apparently that's normal though from what I've read.

It seems a bit hesitant / jerky when feathering the throttle in 2nd somethimes too. Can't quite work out what it is, maybe the engine mounts or the engine miss-firing slightly. It's barely noticable and hard to re-create. All of that makes it probably not the best for crawling in traffic, but it makes up for it when the road is more open.

EDIT: Bluetooth firmware update done. Streaming music = win.

Back
Top Bottom