How many Focus ST owners on here

So I've got the common ABS pump fault which is causing the ESP light on the dash.

How do Ford get away with this? It's seems so many people are having this issue, it's clearly a manufacturing problem with the part being ****. Worst thing is, it's not affecting the car at all, apart from an annoying light being on my dash.

Now I've got to fork out £££ to fix their incompetence.

Luckily though, sort of, the pump is the £190 part and not the full £1,400 isn't it?

It's the same with the liners though, they deny any issues even though we all know it affects all cars, even Ford Approved MP260 cars.

Is that £190 new from Ford?

I'm going to try and tackle it myself, John want's £60 to do it! Also want's £160 now for a service! His prices have gone up due to popularity? Will be doing the service myself as I can get the parts for less than £100 including RS sparks.

I'm sure it was yeah, a few people on the forum have mentioned it.

Yeah, he's starting to put his prices up a touch, to be fair he was making absolutely nothing hardly out of all of us :p

Cool, I'll take a trip to Ford's and get a price. I've seen some horrible looking second hand ones on eBay for £190! So surprised to see them that price new.

It was going to cost me £410 to get John to do the work. I can get all the parts myself for £290ish, so happy to do the work myself and save £120!

Right, so I'm after a facelift ST-3 with the mp260 upgrade. Anything I should be looking out for or do the mountune upgrades not cause any additional stress on the car?

Would like the mr290 but I believe that's at a higher cost of ownership with things like the RS clutch etc.

Is there a particular reason you are only looking at ST's with the mountune upgrade?

It only costs about £500 to get a decent stage 1 remap from a company called Collins, that will be equal if not better than the mountune package.

Clutch can still slip on a stage 1 and MP260 I believe, so always have a separate fund ready for an RS clutch.

Is there a particular reason you are only looking at ST's with the mountune upgrade?

It only costs about £500 to get a decent stage 1 remap from a company called Collins, that will be equal if not better than the mountune package.

Clutch can still slip on a stage 1 and MP260 I believe, so always have a separate fund ready for an RS clutch.

Just for the connections with Ford and you get to keep any warranty.

8-12k. Just want the right car.

There are no connections with Ford, and there will also be no warranty. It only lasts 12 months from the upgrade being fitted. Also they stopped making the ST in 2011, so even if your budget of £12k could stretch to a 2011 model, it would only have a years warranty left, and the seller would have to have had the mountune kit just fitted!

Personally just drop the mountune criteria, it doesn't really benefit you at all. By all means if you find a mint example for a good price, and it has the MP260 package, then bonus.

I am thinking about picking up a focus ST, but am still looking for the best spec I can afford. Is it possible to pick up a nice example for 7-8k?

I work abroad monday to thursday so it will be purely a weekend car with a few motorway journeys.
I really like the white and red colours available.
Is there any must haves in the car? I am not a fan of the cloth seats but I feel that I could maybe put up with them for the times I drive it. :)

I have seen a red (I think ST2) 2006 06 plate with 38,000 miles full service history, last service on 36000. years mot and 6 months tax for £6800 I feel I could also get this price lower.
Just wondered what I should look out for. I have tried searching STOC but only briefly.

:)

£7-8k will get you a nice pre-facelift example.

That 06 ST2 sounds reasonable, but with such low miles it may have been used for short trips, and hopefully it hasn't been abused on those short trips, otherwise it will have a multitude of problems. The pre-facelift were notorious for oil diaphragm problems, so ask to see if this part has been replaced. A standard clutch will likely go on even a stage 1 remap, so check if it's been re-mapped.

There wasn't a great deal of extras on the ST, none ever came with cruise, so walk away from any adverts claiming their ST had cruise! Climate control and sat nav are probably something I would like in my ST, but I easily live without them. However the leather seats I couldn't, I really don't like the grey cloth seats with the colour inserts!

Other things:
Bushes - these are known to wear quite easily, so budget in powerflex polybushes at some point
CV Joint - The housing is known to split and leak, more common on the drivers side, only £40ish to fix tho.
Alloys - Pre-facelift have weak alloys and may buckle. Check for any signs such as a slow puncture, or alloy weights scattered everywhere on the inside rim.

Really good advice thanks, yep the cloth seats are a real let down, I will most likely hold out but as the car is around the corner I may go give it a drive to see how it feels.

How much is it for a set of polybushes?
I feel if it had leather and everything checked out I would snap it up, but I have the time to be patient for the right car.
I was surprised how low this thread had dropped! :eek: I use to love stalking this thread. :D

Yep, as above. I have a mate which can do them for a decent price, look up Advanced Performance Parts on Facebook :)

I've got just plain grey cloth seats, suppose that's down to having a peasant spec ST-1 :p

Main options to have:
Sat Nav
Global Close (One touch up windows, otherwise it's just one-touch down and manual back up. Also makes the rear windows in a 5 door electric)
Climate Control
Sun Roof - Rare as rocking horse poop!
Bluetooth

I've always thought they look like the kind of seat style you would have found in a mid 90's dentists/GP's waiting room. I'm not a fan, that's why I went specifically for an ST3.

Back
Top Bottom