*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
ANY HELP WITH ISSUES PLEASE..
1st..Constantly have no audio, windows says the device is 'realtek 2' only way to get it on is combinations of reconnect the usb & WMR restarting, never seems to correct itself the same way twice.
2nd..randomly loose 'Z-movment' in headset, by this i mean if I physically move forward & back the view moves with me, again to correct it takes a random restart to sort.
Lots of times start WMR,out on the headset & have the 'please put your headset on' message & the beach hut place wont appear (cant be certain but I'm sure the Z-movement issue is present as well when in this state)
Ive tried all USB's, 3 & 3.1 makes no difference
Im using a 3080, Asus M/B, 7700k
This is the same crap I put up with at the early 1st release period of the Rift-S (that never misses a beat now)

Soldato
ANY HELP WITH ISSUES PLEASE..
1st..Constantly have no audio, windows says the device is 'realtek 2' only way to get it on is combinations of reconnect the usb & WMR restarting, never seems to correct itself the same way twice.

I have the issue of audio not always working. The only constant is that if it sets itself up as “headphones” it doesn’t work, if it sets itself up as “speakers” then it does...

I have not yet been able to ascertain any rhyme nor reason as to why it decides to start as one or the other, but it is infuriating and sometimes just requires a couple of power cycles, sometimes I have to fully uninstall the device and drivers and reboot. Just now in fact I spent 20 minutes of my precious play time before putting the kids to bath and bed just trying to get the damn audio to start.

My assumption is that it is related to the numerous USB issues and was hoping it would be resolved at some point through bios/driver updates.

2nd..randomly loose 'Z-movment' in headset, by this i mean if I physically move forward & back the view moves with me, again to correct it takes a random restart to sort.
Lots of times start WMR,out on the headset & have the 'please put your headset on' message & the beach hut place wont appear (cant be certain but I'm sure the Z-movement issue is present as well when in this state)
Ive tried all USB's, 3 & 3.1 makes no difference
Im using a 3080, Asus M/B, 7700k
This is the same crap I put up with at the early 1st release period of the Rift-S (that never misses a beat now)

Sounds like USB issues too - have you tried disabling pcie 4.0 for everything in bios as that resolved some wacky behaviour for me.... again hoping for a bios fix.

Last edited:
Associate
1 - I and others also get this. For me it's pretty consistent - first time I power up the G2 it gives me 'USB 2.0 Realtek Headphones' and I get no sound. I switch off the power on that USB port on my hub and power it back on and it's fine form there. Small inconvenience. It used to be much worse, but a Realtek driver for my motherboard (Gigabyte x570 Aorus elite) seemed to stabilise things a lot. This driver also seemed to coincide with a lot less issues with USB being picked
2. I also get this. I believe it's a tracking issue, and there's lots of info out there on how to improve that on WMR. With some trial and error I've reached a point where it rarely happens, and it does seem to be lighting that affects it the most for me. Definitely helps if there's no direct light source very close to the headset, ambient/indirect light appears to work best (in my case anyway).

3080 is possibly very relevant also, I've been round in several circles with my 3080FE and there's definitely some driver fine tuning to come I feel. I've reverted back to 457.51 for the time being.

Associate
I did roll back the driver but didnt make any difference. When I'm talking about the 'Z-movement' Im only refering to the headset, i thought lighting conditions only apply to the controllers tracking? The most anoyying part is I cant narrow down what makes it just work correctly sometimes??

Soldato
The headset too. Thankfully there's zero light bleed for myself so keeping the light on isn't a problem. Audio oddly not a single problem with the G2, though the Index is quite prone to having to manually flick the audio, and always buggers up when VorpX drops out.

Soldato
1 - I and others also get this. For me it's pretty consistent - first time I power up the G2 it gives me 'USB 2.0 Realtek Headphones' and I get no sound. I switch off the power on that USB port on my hub and power it back on and it's fine form there. Small inconvenience. It used to be much worse, but a Realtek driver for my motherboard (Gigabyte x570 Aorus elite) seemed to stabilise things a lot. This driver also seemed to coincide with a lot less issues with USB being picked

This is driving me sufficiently bonkers wasting my time that I’m eager to try something new - could you advise which hub you are using? I also updated to a more recent Realtek driver [6‎.0.9054.1] from gigabyte’s page but still get the issue, sometimes it’s quick to sort sometimes it takes ages.

Soldato
2. I also get this. I believe it's a tracking issue, and there's lots of info out there on how to improve that on WMR. With some trial and error I've reached a point where it rarely happens, and it does seem to be lighting that affects it the most for me. Definitely helps if there's no direct light source very close to the headset, ambient/indirect light appears to work best (in my case anyway).

3080 is possibly very relevant also, I've been round in several circles with my 3080FE and there's definitely some driver fine tuning to come I feel. I've reverted back to 457.51 for the time being.

Have you tried the latest BIOS? F31q is what Gigabyte is showing as their most recent update for the Aorus Elite.

My MSI Pro Carbo would not work with the G2 until I updated my BIOS to their most recent release. The G2 now works great on my rig. (Only from the front-panel USB 3 ports....but still)

Associate
This is driving me sufficiently bonkers wasting my time that I’m eager to try something new - could you advise which hub you are using? I also updated to a more recent Realtek driver [6‎.0.9054.1] from gigabyte’s page but still get the issue, sometimes it’s quick to sort sometimes it takes ages.

It's on the rainforest, nothing special, there's a few similar which I imagine would do the same job - "USB Hub Powered RSHTECH 7 Port USB 3.0 Data Hub Aluminum USB Extension Splitter with Individual On/Off Switch". Definitely much easier just turning off and on rather than unplugging and replugging all the time though.

Have you tried the latest BIOS? F31q is what Gigabyte is showing as their most recent update for the Aorus Elite.

My MSI Pro Carbo would not work with the G2 until I updated my BIOS to their most recent release. The G2 now works great on my rig. (Only from the front-panel USB 3 ports....but still)

Yeah I've been watching for updates fairly religiously, clearly there are still X570 issues so I would hope at some point an update would fix them. F31q is what I'm currently running though.

Associate
I've noticed that when my sound decides not to work an 'other device' appears in device manager called RTK Boot, definitely related to the G2 as it appears when I connect the power cord, windows sound device switches to 'Headphones(Realtek USB2.0 Audio)' but no sound from G2. Most relevant thing I can find is on the Asrock site (I have an Asus M/B):

https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=488

This is over a year old??

After reading through this forum think I'm just going to have to wait for firmware/software/driver updates. On another note I'm considering updrading to 5600X from i7 7700k (also new M/B & ram etc) so will cost me about £500 ish, anyone got any comment on if I'll see much difference in VR performance? At the moment with the 3080 & 7700k I can just about max-out most games in 4k in pancake view but again struggle in VR due to the G2 res upgrade from the Rift-S (night & day difference & cant go back now)

Associate
I've noticed that when my sound decides not to work an 'other device' appears in device manager called RTK Boot, definitely related to the G2 as it appears when I connect the power cord, windows sound device switches to 'Headphones(Realtek USB2.0 Audio)' but no sound from G2. Most relevant thing I can find is on the Asrock site (I have an Asus M/B):

https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=488

This is over a year old??

After reading through this forum think I'm just going to have to wait for firmware/software/driver updates. On another note I'm considering updrading to 5600X from i7 7700k (also new M/B & ram etc) so will cost me about £500 ish, anyone got any comment on if I'll see much difference in VR performance? At the moment with the 3080 & 7700k I can just about max-out most games in 4k in pancake view but again struggle in VR due to the G2 res upgrade from the Rift-S (night & day difference & cant go back now)

I went from 3700x to 5900X. Definitely a noticeable difference, but not going to suddenly make everything run at 90fps. There's a video earlier in the thread ith some sim racing benchmarks, going from 3700x to 5600 and it was a nice jump, something like 20% iirc.

I hear you with the 'can't go back'.. G2 has been frustrating me, have also got a Quest2 and was questioning the logic in having both, given that the Quest has zero issues. Couple of laps in AMS2 in both HMDs and there's no question, can't deal with the lower clarity of the Q2 in Sims now that G2 box has been opened!

Associate
I can make the 'RTK Boot' disappear which corrects the G2 audio by unplugging & reconnecting the G2 power several times - but shouldn't have to do this, when it works correctly windows shows 'Speakers (2 Realtek USB 2.0) as the current device. I'm thinking this down to a specific sequence required to time the drivers loading with the device.
A 3700x is similar to my current 7700k for comparison, just not sure if its worth the £500 it'll cost. I've gone back to the original Assetto Corsa, I can crank the res way up & still get 90fps with frame times less than 9ms easily & looks incredible - SOL is a big perf. hit though.

Soldato
The 5600X will be a significant performance gain in mainthread bound sims like ACC, Flightsim 2020, DCS etc... however most of those games will also probably end up with you operating at 45fps due to the GPU requirement at G2 resolutions, at which point your current CPU can probably manage 45fps anyway in most of them.

If you want to hit 90fps and are willing to get a massive GPU and/or turn down resolution and settings to get there then yes, the 5600X will help in those situations. If flight sim 2020 is a goal then it will also help because even at 30fps sometimes my CPU (3900x) is actually the limiting factor for frametime.

In steam, go to wmr settings and display the reprojection overlay. You can see a light blue square for CPU limited and a dark blue square for GPU limited. If it’s displaying both then both your GPU and your CPU are failing to run at 90.

Oh and I get the RTK boot thing too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone had any luck with the x570 USB issues? My PCI USB card has decided it doesn't want to run at superspeed any more, and since I'm on a x570 none of the built in ports work (the headset connects and disconnects constantly, or just isn't recognised). I know HP acknowledged it a couple months ago but it doesn't look like they ever actually fixed it.

Been driving me up the wall all day.

Soldato
Anyone had any luck with the x570 USB issues? My PCI USB card has decided it doesn't want to run at superspeed any more, and since I'm on a x570 none of the built in ports work (the headset connects and disconnects constantly, or just isn't recognised). I know HP acknowledged it a couple months ago but it doesn't look like they ever actually fixed it.

Been driving me up the wall all day.

What MB are you on? The beta BIOS MSI rolled out got the front panel USB ports (only) working with the G2. Danswan is running a Gigabyte board and the latest BIOS from them did *not* fix the G2 issues for him. I suspect we will eventually all end up with BIOS offerings that fix this.

On another note, the latest BIOS has made game boost work very well. My voltages have dropped and performance has improved a good bit. My TS CPU score went from 109xx to 11271 and my Cinebench MT score has increased to 5294. CB ST is still okay at 509.

Voltages are sitting at 1.100v most of the time but dropp all the way to 0.200 when I don't do anything for a bit. Max voltage on any core is 1.294. (Was 1.4xx max before)

*edit* I was looking at VID which was lower with game boost, but actual core voltage was 1.36V. Must be some crazy LLC. Anyway, it's not a crazy bump in voltage, but also not something I want to run 24/7.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just fired up elite briefly (no time to play) to test out my reverb G2 mod. (Removing the faceplate and replacing with velcro and an odyssey VR cover. It really is impressive both how good it is and how comfy it is now.... And mind boggling how much FOV is wasted in the supplied faceplate. Very very pleased with it now. Initially FOV was on a par with quest 2. Now it is noticably larger.
Btw I have an MSI 570 tomahawk on latest beta bios (16/11 iirc) and it didn't detect my G2 using the usb a-c adapter but does seem to work ok (albeit not tried it that much) in the usb c

Associate
Just fired up elite briefly (no time to play) to test out my reverb G2 mod. (Removing the faceplate and replacing with velcro and an odyssey VR cover. It really is impressive both how good it is and how comfy it is now.... And mind boggling how much FOV is wasted in the supplied faceplate. Very very pleased with it now. Initially FOV was on a par with quest 2. Now it is noticably larger.
Btw I have an MSI 570 tomahawk on latest beta bios (16/11 iirc) and it didn't detect my G2 using the usb a-c adapter but does seem to work ok (albeit not tried it that much) in the usb c

Where did you get your odyssey cover from? Cant find any in stock...

Associate
Anyone with a 3d printer after a new lower profile facial interface, have a look at this one:

HP Reverb G2 face gasket by Jewcookie - Thingiverse

I'm printing it at the moment, as long as the print works I'll let you guys know how it works out!

Have you try this ? I'm finding the original face gasket to be very tight on the sides of my face and my eyes seem too far away from the lenses. If I remove it and hold the headset nearer my eyes, the amount of clear image across the lenses increases and so does the fov. I have no idea where to get one printed or what the cost might be ?

Back
Top Bottom