I have been suspended from work today.

Caporegime
Because what type of conversation am I going to have with my own colleague?

"Hey Jimmy, I have some feedback from somebody else who was present at that meeting last Tuesday. I know I wasn't there to witness first hand, but here goes..."

Not sure that gives my colleague the opportunity to improve? If said colleague had ignored or disregarded the feedback provided by another manager then I'd be more interested.

Because then they immediately now have two managers and it gets messy when trying to decide who gets priority.

If you and a colleague at the same level both manage staff, and a member of your colleagues team has an issue about one of your team then the complaint goes to your colleague, across to you, and then you take whatever action is appropriate - which could be defending the guy and ignoring the grievance if that's appropriate.

It might be that managers 'managing' staff that they aren't managers of (confused yet?) is common in certain industries but I can't see how it wouldn't lead to confusion and issues.

Soldato
i think the point is, and I had this at the job i've been talking about, that 2 adults can have a conversation with each other instead of running off and telling.

We had a manager come in between the 2 sets of terrible managers who openly said "stop telling on each other, speak to each and sort it out, if you can't, then come to me". It was a revelation and the only people that didn't like it where those who always tried to drop others in it to make themselves feel better.

In this case, the employee that didn't like the video approaches the op and says

"Hi, I've seen the video and although i understand it's in jest it's kind of bothered me and I'd like you to take it down"

"Oh so sorry, didnt mean for it to bother you, it was just a bit of banter and yes, of course i'll take it down!"

"thanks"

So much easier than making complaints like little kids.

Soldato
OP
I have obviously seen the statements from the people who were offended. Sorry but, **** em. From what I have seen and been part off over the last few years this is pretty petty ****.

Not blowing my own trumpet I think i will get a new job Monday before I go for the disciplinary if so i will be leaving any how. I will most likely post video and ALL scanned versions of the statements for your judgement. It would be interesting to see how you guys would deal with this. I will give some back story to each person involved

Soldato
I have obviously seen the statements from the people who were offended. Sorry but, **** em. From what I have seen and been part off over the last few years this is pretty petty ****.

Not blowing my own trumpet I think i will get a new job Monday before I go for the disciplinary if so i will be leaving any how. I will most likely post video and ALL scanned versions of the statements for your judgement. It would be interesting to see how you guys would deal with this. I will give some back story to each person involved

I wouldn't be posting scanned statements anywhere.

Soldato

Do you not think that this is a repeat / escalation of the behaviour that got you into this position in the first place?

Caporegime
So it's ok for the person who has health issues to take the **** out of it (himself) and also take the **** out of me over 12 years give or take, for example, my parents died when I was young in a car accident, I wear glasses, I am going bald (losing hair in general) and not have perfect teeth. He takes the **** out of all those and I laugh about as I am not a pussy. I give as good as I take and he does (DID by the looks of it now). It's all just friendly **** taking and general 'bantz'.

Not once did I make complaint against him for, I guess you or some would call it bullying. It's ****ing work place jokes and banter.

Anyway, I am into typing my massive statement that explains everything in the video and also pointing out ACTUAL bullying against me from another of the offended pussys that was reported many times and **** all done about it. I will drag this **** out for weeks if needed.

You just don't get it, at all. However, see where you end up in 10 years and maybe then you'll realise. :)

Soldato
OP
A bit of an update. My wife works in the staff canteen at the same store i do. this morning she heard the duty manager (the one who will be at my disciplinary tomorrow) discussing the investigation and in public with two other staff members. this discussion was heard by another member of staff as well as my wife. I have talked about this to someone in the union and I now have grounds to mention this at the start of my hearing tomorrow. Also, the suspending manager is taking the disciplinary tomorrow, I had a different manager at my first meeting on Wednesday. Now, under ACAS guides iirc and if understand/read the guide properly, the suspending manager CANNOT do the disciplinary only under certain circumstances such as a small company that does not have enough people to carry out an investigation.

As I have done wrong, I admit, I am still allowed to have a fair and just hearing and having the attending manger discussing in public the case, and also should not be holding the hearing I feel I cannot have a fair hearing. I am calling ACAS again tomorrow as they are closed now to clear this up before I attend.

Fingers crossed I get to know if I get the job or not before I go to work.

Associate
A bit of an update. My wife works in the staff canteen at the same store i do. this morning she heard the duty manager (the one who will be at my disciplinary tomorrow) discussing the investigation and in public with two other staff members. this discussion was heard by another member of staff as well as my wife. I have talked about this to someone in the union and I now have grounds to mention this at the start of my hearing tomorrow. Also, the suspending manager is taking the disciplinary tomorrow, I had a different manager at my first meeting on Wednesday. Now, under ACAS guides iirc and if understand/read the guide properly, the suspending manager CANNOT do the disciplinary only under certain circumstances such as a small company that does not have enough people to carry out an investigation.

As I have done wrong, I admit, I am still allowed to have a fair and just hearing and having the attending manger discussing in public the case, and also should not be holding the hearing I feel I cannot have a fair hearing. I am calling ACAS again tomorrow as they are closed now to clear this up before I attend.

Fingers crossed I get to know if I get the job or not before I go to work.

I work for quite a large company, and was asked to attend a disciplinary hearing for a colleague to act as a witness. I told my colleague to bring this up as our LM was acting as Judge/Jury and if they followed ACAS's guidelines (Note: These are guidelines) They said they did.

They didn't on this occasion and proceeded to drop everything, after a few other bits of evidence that cleared him of any wrong doing.

But should have it gone badly, not following the guidelines is a bad thing for a company to do.

Soldato
The best thing you can do rather than trying to tie your current employer in knots with technicalities over process is to put all of your effort into trying to get this other job then gracefully bowing out before your disciplinary tomorrow.

If you raise the point of the manager openly discussing it then it won't change how you are handled, they will also have to investigate that separately.

Soldato
OP
Just got back from work. The disciplinary was arranged for 2:30 I went in at 2 to speak to the HR manager. I told her about people discussing the investigation and I wanted a new manager taking my hearing as I felt I would not got a fair and just hearing. I also quoted my letter with this concern and handed it to her. It hit her like a bombshell. Not expeccting it at all.

They are now looking for a new manager to take my hearing. There is only one left at store and hes on nights so they will have to adjust his rota to get him back on days which will tale a day or too at least. So my actual disciplinary hearing is postponed until further notice and still full pay.

I had my job interview today and looks very promising I will hear if I get it or not by Wednesday, which will be the earliest I will get correspondence from work stating the date and time of the new informal investigation meeting. As the new manager will have to have a day or two to go over statements and possibly interview others. If I get the job I will more than likely go in and hand my resignation in and cut a deal regarding references without pursuing two other inconsistencies regarding the whole investigation they don not know about but I do have and I also have evidence to support the inconsistency if I get dismissed. .

The best thing you can do rather than trying to tie your current employer in knots with technicalities over process is to put all of your effort into trying to get this other job then gracefully bowing out before your disciplinary tomorrow.

If you raise the point of the manager openly discussing it then it won't change how you are handled, they will also have to investigate that separately.

I know raising this point wont change the disciplinary. I know its a separate investigation. The point is it was discussed by two senior mangers.

Back
Top Bottom