*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

I think the jump from the 3GS to the iPhone 4 was a very notable one. They completely changed the design (for the better, in my opinion) and pretty much improved on every aspect of the phone.

• The screen, while the same size, was excellent and sharp.
  • The design was all new, looked excellent and felt very premium.
  • The camera was one of the best around, and a huge step up from the 3GS, as was the video recording.
  • It had a front facing camera - and a fairly decent built in service to use it (FaceTime).
  • The battery life was a big step up.
  • It was quite a lot faster, and just generally better to use.
True, the form factor change from 3GS -> 4 was significant. The camera was an improvement, but it's something I feel Apple have never lead the field with when I reckon they could easily do so. The front facing camera was something that other phones already had for a while. And yes it was speedy.

I'm just a bit dubious as to the 'quality' of the upcoming iPhone 5 upgrades. Still not too sure about the screen in terms of the dimensions/aspect ratio adopted, even though a bigger screen on the whole will be nice. The point in that article about how iOS is still mostly unchanged, save for a few refinements here and there is quite valid I think, but on the other hand- if it ain't broke etc... I think some change in the UI would be very refreshing. Even if it's superficial things like icons/transitions, I dunno.

It is an extremely refined product, which is obviously very welcome, however I do feel that Apple could and should innovate more than they are (like with the Retina display).

Yeah, it seemed like it's going to be more refinement than anything else with the thinner screen technology and screen size.

I'm glad they're keeping the device small-ish though compared to what i regard as a tablet, the SGS3.

Eh?

Did you read my post?

I didn't say Apple invented anything. I was implying Apple take features on other devices and technologies out there and put them all on one device.

I know that and I agree that is what they are doing, they seem to be playing constant catchup with everyone and don't introduce any new features which are not already available on other smartphones.

Yeah, it seemed like it's going to be more refinement than anything else with the thinner screen technology and screen size.

I'm glad they're keeping the device small-ish though compared to what i regard as a tablet, the SGS3.

I think you'll find as a iPhone user your phone is small rather than the SGS3 being a "tablet" . I found the dimentions of the S2 to be ideal for me even though I now own a S3. Let's see what apple bring tonight .

I think you'll find as a iPhone user your phone is small rather than the SGS3 being a "tablet" . I found the dimentions of the S2 to be ideal for me even though I now own a S3. Let's see what apple bring tonight .

SGS3 is just about 'phone' sized I reckon. But those who think that the Galaxy Note is a perfectly acceptable size for a 'phone' are deluded.

I've jumped ship from Apple - and whilst there's no denying the design and the "it just works" thing is true, I'm never going back. Apple and I will be friends, but there was just no chemistry.

However, that said, I shall be interested in seeing how it looks and how it performs.

The lack of external SD card, and dependence on itunes was too much of a deal breaker for me.

I shall be watching this space. :)

I've jumped ship from Apple - and whilst there's no denying the design and the "it just works" thing is true, I'm never going back. Apple and I will be friends, but there was just no chemistry.

However, that said, I shall be interested in seeing how it looks and how it performs.

The lack of external SD card, and dependence on itunes was too much of a deal breaker for me.

I shall be watching this space. :)

Thats a fair argument :)

Hmm other problems I've been considering (that come up with every iPhone release I suppose)- If I get one sim free, Orange are going to bully me into getting an 'iPhone' tariff. I worked around this last time by not telling them I was using an iPhone and just cut the sim card. But nano sim card, hmm... If I get one on contract, the tariffs will be even more shocking. Meh.

If I get one sim free, Orange are going to bully me into getting an 'iPhone' tariff.

I still wonder how they get away with doing this...

I have a phone. I want one of your phone free contracts. I've already forked out for the cost of the phone. Regardless of my phone, I should get to choose whichever phone free contract I want.

I really hope rather than trying to improve the Megapix rating of the camera, they focus on software/image stabilisation, lens quality etc... instead. I don't need more than 8mpx on my Phone. Just give me one of the Carl Zeiss Lenses in the Sony phones please xD

kd

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom