LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
so for the first time i am using a tv as my monitor and have got the LG OLED42C24LA model but am confused by the resolution, all the specs and stuff say its 3840x2160 but this gives me black bars down both sides, window allow me to use 4096x2160 and it fits the screen perfect. am i missing something?
as above check windows settings\display but also check advanced display as wel and make sure 120hz is set, assuming the pc can do 120hz. Mine would default to 60hz

R3X

R3X

Soldato
thank you what about the reduce blue light setting?

Alternative to blue light.

Its much easier with this tool and does the same thing, you have much better control like assigning hot key to toggle it on and off, or only enable blue light for full screen apps or only on 1 or 2nd display. Basically its much better then LGs or windows blue or night light which is a headache to switch on and off.

imo blue light/night mode is very important to eye health, headaches and your overall well being, I guess the alternative is take regular breaks and step away from the screen but I am not sure anyone does that much!

Associate
as above check windows settings\display but also check advanced display as wel and make sure 120hz is set, assuming the pc can do 120hz. Mine would default to 60hz
its fine in windows, its the Nvidia control panel i scroll down to pc resolutions which is what gives the 120hz option but 3840 crops the screen and 4096 fits full width. cant seem to get it sorted out. even the info button on the tv remote says 4096x2160.

Man of Honour
its fine in windows, its the Nvidia control panel i scroll down to pc resolutions which is what gives the 120hz option but 3840 crops the screen and 4096 fits full width. cant seem to get it sorted out. even the info button on the tv remote says 4096x2160.
check in the TV's menu for the scanning / aspect ratio options, that might be impacting it. should def be set to 3840 x 2160 in windows :)

Associate
I think mine did something similar but at 3840x2160it went slightly over the edge, don't really remember what I did to fix it, thought it was set display to correct one, set refresh to 120hz. May also have something to do with enabling game mode in the tv menu. Maybe just do a TV factory reset ?

Man of Honour
Also make sure HDMI deep colour/ 4K is enabled (I think from memory that’s what it was called) on the TV for the HDMI input you’re using.

Soldato
Make sure the aspect radio isn't set to something odd or something it shouldn't be

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’m interested in the 42C2 but I’ve read that LG have been shipping TVs with the older panel type (WBC) amongst TVs with the newer style.

From my research, they’ve advised that they’ll be shipping the newer WBE panels on all 42C2 from Q2, but I’m wondering if anyone has bought one lately and can confirm what panel you’ve had?

Would prefer to get the 42 over the 48 for improved pixel density but at least the 48 has the WBE panels… don’t really want to wait and wait and there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to check which panel you have (without a service remote).

Caporegime
I’m interested in the 42C2 but I’ve read that LG have been shipping TVs with the older panel type (WBC) amongst TVs with the newer style.

From my research, they’ve advised that they’ll be shipping the newer WBE panels on all 42C2 from Q2, but I’m wondering if anyone has bought one lately and can confirm what panel you’ve had?

Would prefer to get the 42 over the 48 for improved pixel density but at least the 48 has the WBE panels… don’t really want to wait and wait and there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to check which panel you have (without a service remote).

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHICH PANEL YOU HAVE FROM WHAT I HAVE READ.

Associate

I was in the same boat earlier this year. Worrying about panel tech.
Without a way to identify the panel easily you will be for many months/years to ensure the old panel is fully drained from stock
Decided to buy now and enjoy it. The new panel is supposed to be more resistant to burn but that will take years to find out the difference on a normal usage.

Associate

The reason why LG shipping older panels with new is to clear the WBC old stock it an on going panel lottery again, but the new WBE panels will be branded OLED-EX after the Q2:)

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Am going against the collective here, even if vincent has said he did not notice any difference between WBC vs WBE even but if you see his 48C2 and 42C2 very limited side by side comparisons to me the WBE looks better during near black and black shadow detail. See the dark details in the trees, hills and bottom of the cliffs and mountains.

comparison-WBE-vs-WBC-1.jpg

comparison-WBE-vs-WBC-2.jpg

Course could be wrong, cameras are highly subjective but to me I see better shadow detail and near black detail in the WBE (48") panels.

I think sadly you have answered your own questions, its a total lottery at this point some, American owners have worked out a bit more with that service code numbering system but its not 100% or accurate, there are multiple WBE types in the wild (yes there is more then 1!)

So its a lottery and even then you need an 7K spectrometer device just to check what panel type you have.

Only other work around imo is wait till this fall (still a gamble but lesser one) or 2023 LG series which should be all WBE (according to LG)

Panasonic are releasing all their 42/48 OLEDs with confirmed WBE only but due September and October, Sonys 42" is due 11th July id reckon they have an WBE in there due to their master series. There are reasons why Sony, Panasonic and Philips waited till late Summer and Fall to avoid this mess.

Yes there is the, there is always something better around the corner case and WBC vs WBE no difference case, one could wait till 2023 OLED series but then they might start mentioning QD-OLED 42" TVs or LGs newer blue light OLEDs. I think an LG 42C2 @ 1.2-1.3K is still not too bad for now given cost of living etc but it does feel like that hits 1k in 6-7 months time.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I was in the same boat earlier this year. Worrying about panel tech.
Without a way to identify the panel easily you will be for many months/years to ensure the old panel is fully drained from stock
Decided to buy now and enjoy it. The new panel is supposed to be more resistant to burn but that will take years to find out the difference on a normal usage.
I’ve just bought a 42” from Amazon. If it’s particularly bad (bad uniformity) AND the panel is the older tech I’ll send it back.

Got a service remote arriving Monday and I’ll check the panel info straight out of the box, before wall mounting.

The lower 92ppi density of the 48 was the kicker for me. I’m coming from a 38” ultrawide with a 111ppi and I’ll be sitting about 3ft from the screen. I just felt that it was too much of a drop YMMV.

Associate
I’ve just bought a 42” from Amazon. If it’s particularly bad (bad uniformity) AND the panel is the older tech I’ll send it back.

Got a service remote arriving Monday and I’ll check the panel info straight out of the box, before wall mounting.

The lower 92ppi density of the 48 was the kicker for me. I’m coming from a 38” ultrawide with a 111ppi and I’ll be sitting about 3ft from the screen. I just felt that it was too much of a drop YMMV.

Good luck with the hunt. I know there are a few in this thread that had to return multiple times due to uniformity issues.

Im fortunate that I didnt have any such issues. Or may be my eye sight is just awful that I dont see it.

Soldato

Best of luck with it. Am normally about 3 feet from mine and its exceptional 48" for me IMO would be too big, got used to it very quickly coming from a 34" UW. So PPI is not to dissimilar, but all the OLED goodness, deep blacks and pretty vibrant colours in HDR.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Best of luck with it. Am normally about 3 feet from mine and its exceptional 48" for me IMO would be too big, got used to it very quickly coming from a 34" UW. So PPI is not to dissimilar, but all the OLED goodness, deep blacks and pretty vibrant colours in HDR.
Cheers. I’ll keep you posted.

The physical width of the 42 is about 3cm wider than my 38”UW, so it’s really just vertical real estate that I’m gaining. I’m sure the wife won’t even notice the difference!

I am reeeeeeeally tempted to go 48” but I just can’t justify buying it and finding out the hard way that it’s too big and faffing about sending it back… that said, if there’s any issues with the 42 I’ll end up getting the 48 anyway :cry:

Soldato
so for the first time i am using a tv as my monitor and have got the LG OLED42C24LA model but am confused by the resolution, all the specs and stuff say its 3840x2160 but this gives me black bars down both sides, window allow me to use 4096x2160 and it fits the screen perfect. am i missing something?
I believe this might be the feature where the image is shifted around to prevent burn-in. Are the black bars that noticeable?

From what I can tell, the panels are roughly 4k in order to let a standard 3840x2160 image be shifted around by some pixels.

Soldato

I would say say mess around with Nvidia control panel "Adjust desktop size and position" page. Had similar issues before whereby native 3840 shrunk down while 4096 fit but was not correct. in my case related too a second audio out causing havoc, but similar principles. Messing with that tab resolved it.

I believe this might be the feature where the image is shifted around to prevent burn-in. Are the black bars that noticeable?

From what I can tell, the panels are roughly 4k in order to let a standard 3840x2160 image be shifted around by some pixels.

There are very thin black bars around the TV. However 3840 vs 4096 option will remain the same in terms of black bar spacing for most the part. Will just scale down the 4096 option to fit with usually 3840 being native. Will only be few spare pixels around the edge anyways for it to move into.

Man of Honour
That may well be the case, but I’d prefer to get the newer panel if I’m investing money in a new display.

Why the caps?
You’d also have to live with a more noticeable off angle link tint from the WBE panels if you specifically go for one of those. It makes no difference to anything meaningful on the 42” and 48” models as there is no brightness booster used on the smaller models and that’s the main difference with the new WBE panel tech

Back
Top Bottom