Masters of the Air 2023

Associate
Half way through the first episode. Good so far. However, there is one thing I can't quite put my finger on, which I will try to explain after my thoughts on The Pacific.

The wife got my the BluRay steel box of The Pacific as I have not seen it since its release way back when. I remember watching it first time, thinking, this is no BoB, BUT it is good in its own right. Now, having watched half the series this last few days since years ago, The Pacific, to me, was a little too 'Hollywood' compared to BoB. The love story didn't bother me, it was sort of needed, but could have been cut shorter but why does it need the sex in it? Did it try to tick a few boxes that were relevant back when it was made? BoB had a sex scene (maybe 2, Holland?), literally a few seconds of boobs, OK, fine. The Pacific scenes where too long and ruined that episode for me. That out of the way, the rest of the series was great. Not quite up to BoB standards, but what is? the acting in The Pacific was nearly as good as BoB, but there was a feeling its was over acted in some places. Whereas BoB, the cast seemed as though they didn't act. It all seemed so natural. Not forced.

this is where I carry on about MOTA.

The acting is, dare I say it, theatrical, hammed up, over acted. It doesn't sit right with me. Is it because the actors seem as though they are from a modelling agency? Compare these actors to BoB actors, maybe TP actors too, its night and day. BoB had a mixed bag, attractive, ugly, young, old, personalities. Arrrgh its a hard one to explain.

Not knocking MOTA as I am literally half way into episode 1, but I can't get over some of the acting. Not saying they are bad actors, just saying, it seems 'off'.....

that said, I will continue this show and carry on watching The Pacific in between. Once all done, Band of Brothers again.

The Michael Bay-esque trailer told the tale, it doesn't mean it can't be a good show, but it's never going to be anything like as "important" or memorable as BOB.

Associate
Watched episode 1, I really enjoyed it. I recognise Austin Butler from Elvis (which I think he did a great job in), and Barry Keoghan from Banshees of Inisherin, so they're not all completely unknown to me. That said, I basically don't know any of the other actors, but then I didn't know any of the actors from BoB when it released other than maybe David Schwimmer and a handful of others. I think the mini squads within each bomber might make it easier to remember or connect with those groups as we go, but overall I think it was a decent intro to the main characters, and the action was nail biting.

I'm trying not to get into the pointless comparison to BoB just yet, given how unbelievably biased it'll be comparing literally one of the greatest mini series ever produced with decades of rewatching and able to digest it vs. literally 2 episodes so far.

Soldato
Watched the first 2, entertaining and definitely building more of a connection with the main 2 characters which I never got with the Pacific, plus it being Europe it's all places you know which always helps. Shall see how it progresses.

Soldato
I've only seen the first two episodes - the scene with the RAF officers was really cringeworthy, but after that it was pretty good.

I don't know why the yanks keep feeling the need to belittle us in WW2 shows.

Britain stood alone against the Nazi's for years while the yanks twiddled their thumbs.

And even then they only joined because of Pearl Harbour.

Man of Honour
Saw both eps. and it definitely has the ‘slow burn’ style of not really giving any emotional weight to the characters - just glimmers of hanging out and setting the scene, letting the story tell itself rather than laying the emotions on thick.

It’s a different approach. It can feel aloof, but you suddenly find yourself caring when they are up there in a tin can heading into the flak…

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Soldato
I think it the colour palette they are going with. It's far to glossy and colourful very little contrast in the images etc. Also everyone seems a bit too good looking as daft as that might sound. Also no training, they took their first encounter pretty much in their stride, no weight put into losing people so fast or any impact of what being shot at is like.

Man of Honour
I think it the colour palette they are going with. It's far to glossy and colourful very little contrast in the images etc. Also everyone seems a bit too good looking as daft as that might sound. Also no training, they took their first encounter pretty much in their stride, no weight put into losing people so fast or any impact of what being shot at is like.

Buck and Bucky were already officers by the time they were first on screen. They also had a scene of Bucky being drunk / unable to process his grief and talked about writing the letters to the family of the dead.

If I were to add my own niggle, I find it a little off-putting that so many shots of the planes taking-off / landing are CGI… but really, what else were they going to do?! I do find it a little distracting, but I’ll have to get over it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Buck and Bucky were already officers by the time they were first on screen. They also had a scene of Bucky being drunk / unable to process his grief and talked about writing the letters to the family of the dead.

If I were to add my own niggle, I find it a little off-putting that so many shots of the planes taking-off / landing are CGI… but really, what else were they going to do?! I do find it a little distracting, but I’ll have to get over it.
Yes but you are missing all of the forming together relation of the crews etc. In fact the crews are as they would be very fluid so we are not getting really attached to any of them. It's feels they have gone with the Marvel photography to be honest. I get we all got burn out of muted washed out colours in BOB and video games etc but it just seems really off in this setting. Also the immaculate hair makeup etc.

Man of Honour
Yes but you are missing all of the forming together relation of the crews etc. In fact the crews are as they would be very fluid so we are not getting really attached to any of them.

Oh - I see what you meant now, and yes, it is more ‘aloof’ and less ‘hooking you in with emotions’ by putting less emphasis on relationships in training etc.

I presume it’s just trying to be it’s own thing, rather than re-doing what we’ve seen before.

Soldato
Oh - I see what you meant now, and yes, it is more ‘aloof’ and less ‘hooking you in with emotions’ by putting less emphasis on relationships in training etc.

I presume it’s just trying to be it’s own thing, rather than re-doing what we’ve seen before.
Is they did lil things, like after the first mission he took a minute to be alone then threw up from the shock of it etc.

Back
Top Bottom