#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Permabanned
I am and she's in total agreement with me actually. She works for a medical company and hears banter everyday, but deals with it without recourse to HR, with a few cutting remarks, or by issuing a warning to stop it out if it goes too far. Simple.

Caporegime
Brilliant. So women who get harassed are asking for it because they're probably dressed like a ****, and women who don't get harassed are probably dresses like a Victorian puritan and should probably get their **** out a bit more.

Hmm. Can't say **** or ****. How about tart and boobs?

Sorted.

Permabanned
Anyone who thinks that females should just 'take it on the chin'... despicable really.

Yes, spurious claims will be made. Some people are just ****ed up like that. But to suggest that it's all part and parcel of any given working environment is so unbelievably archaic. Then to further suggest that women who don't receive those sorts of remarks need to reflect on who they are... that's just unbelievable to me.

Don't make pig headed, unwarranted advances, verbally or otherwise. Be a decent human being who thinks before they speak. That's about the long and short of it.

Soldato
'Banter' that is one way and unwanted is not banter, the same way that shouting at someone is not a conversation...

Obviously trying to ruin someones career over something like a passing remark is stupid but suggesting people just get over it and that it is their lack of social skills which caused the issue is ridiculous.

How hard is it to go to work and not say a derogatory comment to someone who does not engage in banter? If you can't do that then there lies the problem and proof of poor social skills.

'Oh, she didn't like my unsolicited, crude and belittling remark? She must have poor social skills'

Soldato
Had to get the Dr in for the good lady who is a COPD sufferer so prone to chest infections. A very attractive young female doctor turned up a little while ago and I inadvertently touched her on her back.
One might say I COPD a feel, boom boom.
Should I report myself for inappropriate behaviour?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had to get the Dr in for the good lady who is a COPD sufferer so prone to chest infections. A very attractive young female doctor turned up a little while ago and I inadvertently touched her on her back.

It depends largely on which side of the political spectrum she sits as to whether it is interperated as an innocent touch or full blown sexual assault and battery. If she is right wing hopefully there were no left wingers present who can be offended on her behalf.

Caporegime
It depends largely on which side of the political spectrum she sits as to whether it is interperated as an innocent touch or full blown sexual assault and battery. If she is right wing hopefully there were no left wingers present who can be offended on her behalf.

You must have missed the part where the right wing Tory party is turning itself inside out over sexual harassment issues.

Soldato
Have the police been round yet? If not you might still be ok. Could still cause you some issues a few decades from now though.

Associate

Ban.

Associate
Women demanded equality in this country and are now present in workplaces where they would never have had access not very long ago. They need to accept some banter, even if near the knuckle, is a facet of the real world and either learn to deal with it in a professional manner or consider taking the veil and staying at home unless chaperoned. The situation is totally out of hand and wasting valuable time of those who would be much better employed bringing real criminals to justice. that dreadful Leadson woman claiming a risqué remark is akin to true sexual harassment is an insult to women who have suffered genuine trauma from a genuine sexual predator. if a woman hasn't had a remark like "I know where you could warm your hands" a few times by her age, from different red blooded males she should consider just what's wrong with her looks or personality. Women should have a few months job experience in a factory where ribald comments abound and see if they have the necessary social skills to deal with them before burdening our government with their precociousness. This trend will make employers even more loathe to take on young women, what with the cost to the company when they decide to have children but expect to have a job to come back to months later, and the potential legal costs fight specious claims of trauma from unguarded comments or the odd bit of ribald bawdiness. If you can't stand the heat, stay in the kitchen.

I get where you're coming from. Today at work for example a table of women near me where having a right laugh about an innuendo one of them made suggestive of male genitals (not directed at me I might add). I was sat there thinking to myself would this be seen as funny or appropriate if the genders were reversed?

TL : DR the above post:

Some women are now doing what was a mans job, so they should just get over it, especially if they keep in mind that they're burden to everyone else when they decide to pop out a baby.

You're conflating two things. Chris is talking about 'comments'. In the case of physical assault or repeated harassment nobody is saying anyone should 'get over it'.

Part of the problem is wooly definitions. 'Harrassment' seems to cover everything from a 'you look nice today' comment all the way up to full blown stalking.

Soldato
I might be incorrect but my understand was the #metoo has been suitably hijacked in many places.
The American's used to use # as the symbol for 'pound' as in weight and occasionally British currency.
so #metoo means 'pound me too' which can be misconstrued in a whole manner of ways, and it obviously getting adopted all over the place for hilarious hijinks in addition to the original campaigns.

This may have been mentioned on the thread already but I wasn't going to read 10 pages.

Associate
and now thanks to her, I have record for 12 months- if not longer. So if there is FT position or promotion aspect, who do you think gets it? Me or her?

It's a joke.
Well if you don't fight it then you deserve it. You need to speak to a solicitor now and be prepared to pay out some money. As soon as a solicitor's letter hits the company's desk they will just rescind everything. It's a big game of poker and you need to call a bluff when you see one.

If you aren't prepared to fight then you need to accept your fate. You have no future with this employer now as it stands so go after them, go after her and cause as much damage as possible.

Permabanned
I get where you're coming from. Today at work for example a table of women near me where having a right laugh about an innuendo one of them made suggestive of male genitals (not directed at me I might add). I was sat there thinking to myself would this be seen as funny or appropriate if the genders were reversed?

You're conflating two things. Chris is talking about 'comments'. In the case of physical assault or repeated harassment nobody is saying anyone should 'get over it'.

Part of the problem is wooly definitions. 'Harrassment' seems to cover everything from a 'you look nice today' comment all the way up to full blown stalking.

Thank you! The wife asked the girls and women in the office today what they thought of all the coverage of alleged sexual harassment and the overwhelming answer was the world had suddenly gone crackers about it, and it was being blown out of all proportion in 99% of cases. And if Harvey could make them the next big name actress they were all ears as to what his current peccadilloes were, they'd be most accommodating ;)

Caporegime
Thank you! The wife asked the girls and women in the office today what they thought of all the coverage of alleged sexual harassment and the overwhelming answer was the world had suddenly gone crackers about it, and it was being blown out of all proportion in 99% of cases. And if Harvey could make them the next big name actress they were all ears as to what his current peccadilloes were, they'd be most accommodating ;)
I'll take things that never happened for $200, Alex.

Permabanned
With this being the 200th post on the subject why do you sound sceptical similar discussions don't take place elsewhere? And why is Vonhelmet working in Dollars? :) I would have expected Euros to be his de facto currency....

Back
Top Bottom