#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Soldato
I had some disgusting old woman grab me from behind while I was singing at the pub when I was about 19, she was drunk but I was genuinely repulsed. I told my mum and she laughed and dismissed it. I don't feel the need to go and ruin her life 11 years on funnily enough.

Caporegime
I had some disgusting old woman grab me from behind while I was singing at the pub when I was about 19, she was drunk but I was genuinely repulsed. I told my mum and she laughed and dismissed it. I don't feel the need to go and ruin her life 11 years on funnily enough.

She's probably 6ft under #PlayingItLikeSaville

Soldato

She might be rich? Take her to the cleaners.

Joke!

V F

V F

Soldato
I imagine it is different for men and women. Should it be different? Not at all but in the past up until recently, advances generally come more often and more aggressively from men rather than women.

With that in mind, some men will likely take the rare time they get a pat on the bum or a crude gesture as a funny, complimentary advance (as shown by some replies in this thread :p) if it was from someone who was not horrendously bad looking. I think if you were a woman, that advance can be added to the number of other unsolicited advances you have received and filed away under annoying because the guy is full of himself or full on harassment depending on the guys moves.

The times are changing and so are the attitudes towards courting but we still have a few old school attitudes when it comes to dating/relationships/advances.

Have they really? All I’m seeing is exploitative opportunities and mob mentality hidden behind twisted viewpoints to justify whatever their actions see fit.

Granted there are people out there that genuinenly had horrible events but sadly as I said all I’m seeing now is opportunities made possible because of Internet trends these days and mob mentality with peer pressure. That and all men are apparently labelled awful cretins. Everyone put into big categories to demonize whoever it is, if not completely assassinate their character. Everything has to be a trending bandwagon these days to generate stories and whip up a storm to report even more stories. Rinse and repeat media frenzy. Ad revenue oorah.

Funny though how much of the public aren’t aware how the media/tv news channels trolls them to antagonise and instigate people to provoke a reaction to generate and report stories but too many love gossip and get sucked into the trap of the storm.

Caporegime
When I was a student I flitted between jobs. Pushing trollies in a supermarket, working behind a bar in busy town centres, doing sales part time.

At the supermarket I had some strange experiences. On my first day training they decided I should get till training so we had to group up and I was grouped with some older girls. I was 18, these girls ranged from 24 to late 40s. When I was on the till they all turned up with their mock shopping baskets. It was all condoms, lubricant gels and lingerie. It was done specifically to embarrass me and it did because I was a pretty quiet, naïve lad at that age.

Working in bars I was regularly corralled by boozy hen parties and pinched from behind, then when I turned my head a hand would go down the front. At staff parties I've had female staff sit themselves on my knee and then make inappropriate suggestions about what was going on down my trouser. It's all just a bit of fun though. Right!!!!

I guess the difference is that the girls could never force themselves upon me and so it doesn't get seen as harrasment in the same way.

There seems to be a trend with middle aged women acting up towards young males. I guess for the same reason young women are more likely to be targeted by older men.

I’ve also had girls try and stick their tongues in my mouth when wearing a mask at fancy dress nights as well as the inappropriate comments and bum pinching.

As you say though in all those situations, as much as some were a bit off putting, there was never any danger of the older middle aged woman overpowering me. And some you just laugh off because there’s no worry about the situation, even if it is wrong.

I don’t think it happens as much from women to men as well. The power men have “over” women in these situations, and the amount it happens is why it’s generally treated the way it is, even though both sexes can be just as bad as each other. Perhaps is more men turned round and told them it was inappropriate then things may change, rather than just laughing it off.

Caporegime
No one will because of you know that thing called political correctness.

If you say that touching a lady's leg doesn't amount to any form of noteworthy sexual harassment then the assumption will be that you believe its also ok to flash your todger to work colleagues and send random women d*k pics on whatsapp and SMS.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

You’re still thinking binary.

In what context is the touch? Is it just an accidental touch as you walk past them, or is it resting your hand on a stranges leg on the bus?

Yes, there may be the very occasional woman going #metoo at the former, but in reality they are in a very minor minority. On the other hand do you think the latter is acceptable? Is pinching or patting someone’s bum (especially someone you don’t know) acceptable?

How would you feel in all these circumstances if you have had do endure it constantly throughout much of your teens-40s?

The reality is, as much as it does happen to men - as many of us have shared - it really isn’t as consistent as with many women.

Are some people going over the top? Sure, but it’s very few in reality and really shouldn’t change your outlook on life. Unless of course you are that person that thinks patting a non sexual/consenting partners bum, or wolf whistling/pressing your car horn at a random woman on the street is acceptable. It’s not. It’s things like that (and worse) that are the issue, not a random jovial comment to a friend, accidental touch or singular offer of a date.

Soldato

Where is your #MeToo like the rest of us?

That story qualifies you.

Soldato
This got me thinking the other day when they discussed it on the radio. I have drunkenly pinched a blokes bum before as he's walked by and it's true it shouldn't be 'acceptable' just because I'm a woman.

A colleague made a good point today, if someone unattractive did it to her she would probably feel uncomfortable but if it was a good looking guy she'd likely not think much of it.

Soldato
#MeToo story...

Ooh its so horrible, the time I was totslly so much brutally sexually assaulted.....

Well, there I was leaning over an engine bay, with my trousers slipping down just a bit in true Tradesman's Bum fashion.

And what happened??

A little tickle just at the top of my Bum crack.

I turned round and found myself looking at a pair of little old ladies giggling like schoolgirls.

Obviously the fact that I found this hilariously funny too is simply evidence as to how traumatized I must have been at the time.

Wheres my compo?.....:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
I didn't say all men are powerful or that all women are weak. The OP asked what the difference was and I explained the most important difference is power and control. Your conclusion has nothing to do with the rest of your rambling, particularly when one considers that I literally said that laws should be applied in the same way.

Which you obviously didn't mean since it contradicts your absolute position that all men are powerful and all women are powerless. Which you're repeating, since you're stating again that all men have power and control over all women. And you are saying exactly that, since you're saying that the difference between men and women is power and control. You're applying that in a blanket fashion as being synonymous.

There's another contradiction, obviously - if you think that the same thing is completely different depending on the sexes of the people involved, you do not think that the laws should be applied in the same way. Because you think it's a completely different thing. Why on earth would you think that the laws should be applied in the same way to completely different things?

Of course, what you're actually doing is rationalising your sexism by pretending that you're not judging solely by sex. That's why you don't care about being consistent even with yourself, since a rationalisation doesn't need to be consistent either internally or externally.

I explained why it's different when men do it to women rather than the other way around but I wasn't speaking in absolute terms nor did I claim other situations can't/don't happen.

Yes, you were. Unless you're also arguing that not all men are men and not all women are women.

Man of Honour
A pass is not harassment even if it's unwelcome, in the eyes of the law harassment requires a series of events and the 'accused' MUST (or should know) know that it is unwelcome, so if you don't tell them that it's unwelcome how will they ever know? that's the weird thing about the Michael Fallon resignation, as soon as she made clear it wasn't welcome he stopped so in a legal sense he has not committed any crime.

Even if that is what the law says, how would it be relevant? Guilt is determined by the media and gossip, not the law. There's nothing weird about Michael Fallon's resignation - in the middle of a witchhunt he was publically accused of being a witch, which made him a political liability to his party and degraded his social status and public image (which are key things in politics). So he resigned.

Soldato
You’re still thinking binary.

In what context is the touch? Is it just an accidental touch as you walk past them, or is it resting your hand on a stranges leg on the bus?

Yes, there may be the very occasional woman going #metoo at the former, but in reality they are in a very minor minority. On the other hand do you think the latter is acceptable? Is pinching or patting someone’s bum (especially someone you don’t know) acceptable?

How would you feel in all these circumstances if you have had do endure it constantly throughout much of your teens-40s?

The reality is, as much as it does happen to men - as many of us have shared - it really isn’t as consistent as with many women.

Are some people going over the top? Sure, but it’s very few in reality and really shouldn’t change your outlook on life. Unless of course you are that person that thinks patting a non sexual/consenting partners bum, or wolf whistling/pressing your car horn at a random woman on the street is acceptable. It’s not. It’s things like that (and worse) that are the issue, not a random jovial comment to a friend, accidental touch or singular offer of a date.

Perhaps my comment did not come across the way I intended.

My point is (similar to what you mentioned) that there are a vast number of woman now equating anything they see fit as 'sexual harassment' because its the flavour of the month and will guarantee them some air time.

These women are genuinely dangerous to this whole **** show we are seeing unravel in the media. It dilutes credibility and integrity. The fable of boy that cried wolf, and when it does really happen no one takes them seriously.

In respect to the leg touching, this was in reference to Fallon. From the information that we have so far he briefly touched her leg. How he did this, why he did this....who knows? Perhaps he read her signal the wrong way, perhaps it was accidental, perhaps he was trying to comfort her, perhaps he is on the spectrum and struggles with how to interact correctly?Perhaps he is a pervert? Or maybe she is a lying b**** with some sort of attention seeking disorder. So many variables to this and if it makes Fallon 'guilty' or an innocent bystander caught in the headlights of the media fury.

To come out and call it how it is though, that a significant proportion of these #metoo ladies are just chancers automatically puts you in the headlights as some sort of enabler to stuff like this when that simply isnt the case.

This always tends to happen with whatever makes the headlines. How dare we question the media tsumani!!!!!

On a less serious note (for me anyway), have I had my bottom groped? Yes by a homosexual man and a MILF. Did it bother me?The first punchlined example is in fact a long and elaborate story that always breaks the ice at parties, and it didnt bother me.

Soldato
Which you obviously didn't mean since it contradicts your absolute position that all men are powerful and all women are powerless. Which you're repeating, since you're stating again that all men have power and control over all women. And you are saying exactly that, since you're saying that the difference between men and women is power and control. You're applying that in a blanket fashion as being synonymous.

There's another contradiction, obviously - if you think that the same thing is completely different depending on the sexes of the people involved, you do not think that the laws should be applied in the same way. Because you think it's a completely different thing. Why on earth would you think that the laws should be applied in the same way to completely different things?

Of course, what you're actually doing is rationalising your sexism by pretending that you're not judging solely by sex. That's why you don't care about being consistent even with yourself, since a rationalisation doesn't need to be consistent either internally or externally.

Yes, you were. Unless you're also arguing that not all men are men and not all women are women.

Nice rant but ..

A woman does not usually have that option, she often isn't in control, she is powerless

Caporegime
As has been pointed out, a pass at the opposite sex is only harassment when they're not interested, else it's a welcome ice breaker. The cartoon on the previous page sums it up perfectly.

Even most women would agree that Fallon should still be in a job.

But how can they say that? His letter implies it’s not about about the knee but about several incidents which people would find unacceptable. These are oncidents which we are yet to know about.

So will these women be saying the same thing if it comes out he abused his position as a senior MP and sexually assaulted several young researchers? Not saying he has but clearly you don’t resign from the cabinet unless there are a few serious things

Back
Top Bottom