#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Caporegime
Here's a thought:

Do you think a politican has ever purposley paid someone to spread lies about an opponent? Sexual lies I mean.
Does seem a very easy way to get rid of someone, and I'm sure there's plenty of women out there who need the money.

would be a hugley risky thing to try.

for one you havr to find a person who was a lone and can be proved to have been alone with your target in private at specific times and dates.

then you have to approach that person and hope to **** they dont say no and out you, as once they do the whole plan is scuppered and the target is going to soar against you as the victim.

Soldato
now the authorities sided with Serena Williams, overecompensating;
seems we need a video assistant referee like the football

Man of Honour

But the WTA did, many media outlets did and she's been given a free platform to portray herself as the hero-victim and demand preferential treatment for women.

Can you provide examples of high profile male tennis players recently who have called the umpire a liar and a thief and smashed rackets on court and demanded the umpire apologise for applying the rules and told the umpire they wouldn't be allowed on their court again...and then been portrayed as a hero-victim fighting for men to have equality, as standing up for strong men?

One example?

One example from any point in time, not just recently?

No?

Soldato
edit: as angilon said

ok that's new news bbc had been saying

However, Williams' claims have been backed by the governing body of women's tennis, the WTA.

Chief executive Steve Simon said: "The WTA believes that there should be no difference in the standards of tolerance provided to the emotions expressed by men versus women.

"We do not believe that this was done."
whether wta will modify opinion

Soldato
But the WTA did, many media outlets did and she's been given a free platform to portray herself as the hero-victim and demand preferential treatment for women.

Can you provide examples of high profile male tennis players recently who have called the umpire a liar and a thief and smashed rackets on court and demanded the umpire apologise for applying the rules and told the umpire they wouldn't be allowed on their court again...and then been portrayed as a hero-victim fighting for men to have equality, as standing up for strong men?

One example?

One example from any point in time, not just recently?

No?

I have been thinking the same, when has a top 4 male player in this century been allowed to make such statements?
In fact, this century has anyone branded a ref a liar and a cheat on a court at all?

Soldato
oh and after her vehement public denial in the papers of sleeping with the under age actor Asia Argento has been dropped in it after her friend went to the police with tests she sent her admiting she slept with him when he was under age.

again her defenders in the metoo movement are saying that just because she publicly lied about raping a child this does not mean that this should cause people to question her claims about Harvey winestien because they are two separate cases and "should be treated individually"....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/22/metoo-actress-asia-argento-now-admits-sex-under-age-boy/

Lol...

This is why I struggle to take any of these people seriously...the stuff they preach about then you hear stories like that.

Just lmao........ lmao lmao lmao.........

Man of Honour
Lol...

This is why I struggle to take any of these people seriously...the stuff they preach about then you hear stories like that.

Just lmao........ lmao lmao lmao.........

You shouldn't struggle to take them seriously because they have power. Power is the only thing that matters in politics. Nothing else matters except in the context of how it affects how much power a person has. Other authoritarian ideologies have also used irrational prejudice to gain power and cause harm. It's a common technique that has been used for at least all of recorded history because it works. The target groups vary - jews, men, protestants, catholics, "black" people, etc - but the basic idea is the same and it works. It's ridiculous in itself, especially with the blatant hypocrisy, lying and double standards that usually come with it, but the degree of harm it causes means that it's not at all ridiculous in the real world. In abstract, it's ridiculous. In application, it's very dangerous.

Man of Honour
I don't really have a dog in this fight, I don't watch tennis and so have nothing useful to add.

I was just pointing out that it's not all gone Serena's way.

At a miniscule cost to herself, well under 1% of the money she was paid for that game alone, she has gained a lot of power and status and done a lot to promote sexism. So yeah, it has pretty much gone all her way.

Soldato
Need to become increasingly sceptical about news sources too, comment I made in tesla thread
- Aside -
maybe others said this .. but who reads the Telegraph behind its targetted advertising/social-media membership wall ?
if the innumerate Telegraph cannot evaluate the statistical significance of surveys then shame on them - the proverbial fake-news,
maybe they wil be able to spot when their circulation numbers admit them to the annals of history.
[ BTW why do they pay Boris for his junk ... let him post it on his twitter thread like Trump ]

Guardian has similar reputation, and just scanning their asia argento article
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...aying-off-actor-metoo-weinstein-jimmy-bennett
Bennett says in the notice that he had sex with Argento in a California hotel in 2013. The age of consent in California is 18. The notice says the encounter traumatised Bennett, affected his mental health and damaged his career, the Times reported.
....., the Times reported.
they just repeat other articles - so click-bait - no independant verification ?
an abdication of responsibility for content.

...maybe Serena (or is that her sister) should just retire to her Tempur mattress

Soldato
I thought Serena overstated her case and took away all the limeight from the Osaka. I didn't actually realise though the chair umpire took a whole game of her as punishment for coaching which led to her having a meltdown.

Rules are rules but they should be consistently enforced so I can understand why Serena felt victimised but I don't see this as sexist just poor umpiring.

Soldato
I thought Serena overstated her case and took away all the limeight from the Osaka. I didn't actually realise though the chair umpire took a whole game of her as punishment for coaching which led to her having a meltdown.

Rules are rules but they should be consistently enforced so I can understand why Serena felt victimised but I don't see this as sexist just poor umpiring.

My understanding is that she was deducted a point for the coaching, it was the resultant verbal abuse that cost her a game.

Soldato
My understanding is that she was deducted a point for the coaching, it was the resultant verbal abuse that cost her a game.

The thing is, she was penalized for three things:

On court coaching warning

Racket violation

Arguing with the umpire

Now the on court coaching was harsh but fair enough. The racket violation is inconsistently given in every day games and there is some truth that men generally are more spirited on the court. I found it very odd it was given in a grand slam final as well as the game deduction. Yes she behaved poorly but the umpiring was unusually harsh and took away more from Tennis than added. Carlos Ramon has a habit of being a stickler for the rules, if inconsistent at times and a few top players have commented that he goes on power trips and likes to use his umpiring to steal the show.

Serenas behaviour was childish and understandable, while Carlos could have umpired much better and not ended a grand-slam final early. The umpiring took away from Osaka, Williams, the tennis fans and the sport in general.

Back
Top Bottom