NEARLY 2 WEEKS WAITING: Nissan GT-R is finally mine!

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Wonderful for the person behind on a big straight :eek:

I would also worry about the flow out of those.

Points for trying though :)

There is an inside lip which the bolts catch onto to prevent them being blown out.

The design is such that the perforations on the inner section equal the size of the standard pipe but if theres too much pressure it can actually flow around the outside edge :)

Man of Honour
The design is such that the perforations on the inner section equal the size of the standard pipe but if theres too much pressure it can actually flow around the outside edge :)

Neat!

There is an inside lip which the bolts catch onto to prevent them being blown out.

I can see, but I would definitely secure those bolts in some way and test it well. As Havana_UK says, the exhaust will vibrate like crazy and although unlikely, they could genuinely injure someone.

Soldato
I would still bung and extra nut on to each bolt to lock them up tight...I wouldn't be surprised to see the vibrations work those bolts undone in fairly short order.

Definitely.

The nut on my db killer for my bike worked it's way loose and then I fired the db killer out at speed on the motorway never to be seen again! That was a noisy month whilst I got a new one shipped over from Italy :(

It's caked in thread-lock now.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Hey hey hey all!

What a day! Absolutely buzzing and the only thing thats happened is the car is booked in for the brakes to be done in 2 weeks time :D:D

Not just any brakes though, CCX brakes.

i.php

:D:D:D:D:D:D

The hard part is a 2 week wait! God damn it. Want to go play with the new toys now!!! :(

Caporegime
Niiiiice. They're awesome when you can afford them. When i was looking at m4s the dealer was telling me how loads of people were part xing the cars when it was replacement time simply because of the cost! Sure he said they were something like a 5k option but you were looking at more than that at replacement time.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Niiiiice. They're awesome when you can afford them. When i was looking at m4s the dealer was telling me how loads of people were part xing the cars when it was replacement time simply because of the cost! Sure he said they were something like a 5k option but you were looking at more than that at replacement time.

These are the proper CCST carbon-ceramics, not the cheaper chopped fibre versions.

So in this case, once they get to a certain wear level, I can send them back (upto 5 times) and they can refurb the discs at a fraction of the cost.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Hey all!

I cant even tell you how excited I've been all week, but today finally drove down to litchos for the new discs :D Went in, dropped the workshop lads off 2 big packs of doughnuts before heading into the office to speak to Iain Litchfield and Neil.

i.php

Everything all on track as planned, so the car was pulled right onto a ramp waiting for me :)

i.php

Wheels off, have a quick inspect of how the alcon discs have stood upto the abuse.

Fronts were in good condition, slightly worn but ooodles of life left in them:

i.php

Pads were a bit shagged though from the track work, DS2500's just cant cope with a GTR.

i.php

Other side the same

i.php

The rears however were still good as new, on both the pads and the discs!

i.php

i.php

Poking head over the caliper revealed what I feared.... 10 years of brake dust buildup.

i.php

Also a good time to have a check for any issues, but everything in surprisingly good condition

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

So calipers and discs off

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

While there, found this "alcon" disc (not off my car)... that puts even @Gibbo to shame!

i.php

Yikes!

The offending pad

i.php

Calipers outside for some brutally vicious cleaning...

i.php

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
New discs! New discs! New discs!!!!! *runs around room screaming*

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND

Fitted :D

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

The brake lines are due this upcoming service, so while everything was off, used the opportunity to have them changed to braided lines

i.php

i.php

Calipers cleaned as best possible, short of a full refurb or buying a new set, they still look 100x better than before...

Took the opportunity to apply a high temp ceramic coating to them.

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

The coating need a good 12 hours to dry, so tomorrow we finish up :)

i.php

i.php

i.php

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So! Just drove home and got to try the new discs out... and sweet baby jesus, what stopping power. It is absolutely MENTAL. Even a light touch is just an instant 0.5G of stopping.

I cant even begin to describe the grinning and fangirling going on right now, I keep going outside to look at them :D

So first thing, checking the coating on the calipers. all cured, looking lovely.

i.php

New pads ready, Pagid RSC1

i.php

Spacers for the calipers to take the new disc size (400mm, rather than stock 380mm).

i.php

Prepare thyself for pure filth....

ready?

Calipers on :D :D :D

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

And shes home :)

i.php