• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

How can they launch a card that hardly has any stock. 18:00 Boom! 5% stock, 95% preorders? It boggles the mind? I don't remember the 1080 being this bad?

So if you want to buy a 1080Ti your **** out of luck. Forget custom coolers, It's Time to wait months again.
Hope not I had evga card my basket at 6pm then the website shafted me and wouldn't let me checkout the order eventually went through at 6.29pm.
The website should tell you if there is any stock of that card.
If that information was there I could have changed my order and got a zotac as they was still stock of this till about 6-45.
Very in unhappy customer.

I am quite happy paying for my Pre-order on my CC and it will be paid in full when I get the bill in. I have been saving for a few months, so happy days. OcUK have done me proud over the many years I have used them and even though I almost went elsewhere when the website locked up, I am so glad I didn't.

You guys really could do with better servers when it comes to GPU launches though :(

I could buy 2 x 1080 ti if if I want on a debit VISA card...But I'm not having a company holding £1400 from my bank for 8 weeks lol

Would you walk into a shop hand over 1400 quid and leave with nothing?

lol

NO WAY!

Why does it risk warranty when you can just clean it off??

Sure the power circuitry will be fine with the voltage you have available.

If you do it wrong and put too much on (which is easy) it can then short out things which shouldnt be shorted out. We really shouldnt have to resort to solder or inductive paste to removes TDP limits.

Also because your are faking the TDP readings to make the card think that its getting less power than it really is, you can increase the resistance too much and very easily totally fry your £800 card if you aren't careful.

Once you have put the paste on, it might allow you apply much more power than the card can handle and you have basically bypassed the safety cut out measures. I know the power circuitry is pathetic on the Titan XP and it although it looks improved on the FE 1080ti it still isnt that great. A high end AIB board with proper overkill power circuitry I would feel a lot more confident in doing the shunt mod.

I can confirmed the Gigabyte 1080Ti Turbo image is INCORRECT, it should infact be an image of a blower cooler as its same cooler as found on 1080 Turbo which is single fan blower.

I was on a plane, I shall kill my padowan on Monday and pop into work tomorrow to fix that. Those who have ordered one, do not cancel because I shall try to sort you a deal on Gigabyte Gaming card which has a tri-fan style cooler. :)

That or double confirm if it's the same PCB like the 1080 version was, make a cheap but solid water cooled card :)

Another option

If you do it wrong and put too much on (which is easy) it can then short out things which shouldnt be shorted out. We really shouldnt have to resort to solder or inductive paste to removes TDP limits.

Also because your are faking the TDP readings to make the card think that its getting less power than it really is, you can increase the resistance too much and very easily totally fry your £800 card if you aren't careful.

Once you have put the paste on, it might allow you apply much more power than the card can handle and you have basically bypassed the safety cut out measures. I know the power circuitry is pathetic on the Titan XP and it although it looks improved on the FE 1080ti it still isnt that great. A high end AIB board with proper overkill power circuitry I would feel a lot more confident in doing the shunt mod.

So initially you're saying you shouldn't shunt mod then at the end saying doing the same to an aib is fine? Lulz.

You're not going to void any warranty unless you send it it still covered in LM or solder.

Which 'safety cut out measures' are you specifically talking about....?

Which part of the power circuitry do you deem as inadequate for the card...?

Even if you increased the power to 1000w or 500%, whatever the figure is! It will only draw what it needs and voltage limitations will be the capping factor so i highly doubt damage would be done. But yes your right you dont wanna be getting liquid metal anywhere else as that could be fatal, you could have course try and mask off the surrounding area.

I can confirmed the Gigabyte 1080Ti Turbo image is INCORRECT, it should infact be an image of a blower cooler as its same cooler as found on 1080 Turbo which is single fan blower.

I was on a plane, I shall kill my padowan on Monday and pop into work tomorrow to fix that. Those who have ordered one, do not cancel because I shall try to sort you a deal on Gigabyte Gaming card which has a tri-fan style cooler. :)

i've pre-ordered the turbo one today and its the blower crap apparently , how do i get in touch with you to arrange the tri-fan version?

Last edited:
Even if you increased the power to 1000w or 500%, whatever the figure is! It will only draw what it needs and voltage limitations will be the capping factor so i highly doubt damage would be done. But yes your right you dont wanna be getting liquid metal anywhere else as that could be fatal, you could have course try and mask off the surrounding area.

Not true. By reducing the resistance of the shunts you are allowing the card to potentially draw more power than the components can handle esp on the Nvidia cards.

I could buy 2 x 1080 ti if if I want on a debit VISA card...But I'm not having a company holding £1400 from my bank for 8 weeks lol

Would you walk into a shop hand over 1400 quid and leave with nothing?

lol

NO WAY!
Why buy with debit card when you can pay with credit card and get cashback? :p

Back
Top Bottom