• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

IMHO - the FE edition under water is a great card but you can clearly see that it is hitting the Power limit even at 1850-1950 range, very and often. To replicate this just fire up Elite Dangerous, set res to 1440p and supersample in game to x2.00. Sit back and watch afterburner blink up the limits like a mofo.

My conclusion on this is that the custom cards don't really need higher clocks to be quicker than the FE, they just need higher power limits. So, this is one of the main things to be looking for in a 1080ti AIB card if you want to water-cool it, if the power limits do not go beyond the FE then you might as well look elsewhere.

Looking back at the 1080 cards it was actually Zotac who came to the party with the most over-engineered board (the Zotac PGF with a huge 16 phases) but the card was not sold in the U.K. This leaves the Classified and the Hall of Fame as the main two with top end power. The classified will definatley bring the tools to the table but it took them an age (months!) to release them for the 1080 card.

one reason I thought the MSI sea hawk EK x @ 859 was a good price considering it will have a higher Power limit custom PCB & nice waterblock/backplate already attached for pretty much the same price as a FE with waterblock/backplate

ok i will give a warning to all those pre-ordering the msi 1080ti Seahawk. the 1080 seahawk used a founder edition reference pcb.

for this reason, unless someone has seen pcb photos, the 1080ti seahawk will not have a 150-180% power limit and will boost just like an FE card with an EK block.

this is not the droid you are looking for.

the 1080 AIO card with the best PCB was the 1080 Gigabyte Xtreme Waterforce and the 1080ti edition has not even broke cover yet. the 2nd best choice will be the EVGA 1080ti FTW Hybrid and that one probably does not yet have a CAD diagram completed never mind a production date :)

just to clarify, under water you will hit the power limit before the voltage limit this is why getting a board with better power delivery is more important in more respects than how much raw voltage you can put though the gpu.

if (big if) the form stays as per the 1080 the only way to bypass the 1.09v limit will be to have a custom board and if the 1080 debacle is repeated this will be limited to the asus strix OC, half of fame and the classified cards only. just these three.

you will be able to flash the bios outside of these models however you probably will not be able to set higher than 1.09v even if you can set it on the slider.

Last edited:
guys what am i doing wrong? I just installed my brothers 1080ti with fresh drivers, anyway benched wildlands on 1440p max settings and all we get is a 15-20pfs difference, did the bench 4 times, exactly the same system same settings, also the witcher 3 on max settings is only getting 15 fps difference, so installed the classy 1080 back in, just one card benched it again to compare with the 1080ti and its only behind by an absolute minimum.

The 1080 classy is NOT overclocked and benched at stock levels.

We was expecting at least a 50fps difference, are we expecting too much ? So is it early drivers or do we need to overclock the 1080ti?

same thing happened with my 1070 sli vs 980ti sli kingpins, I only got an absolute minimum.

Plz advise on how i can get better performance.

Sometimes you have to cut all the noise off and and face hard facts, Many reviewers will say its a top performing card the best there is and its true, Very impressive gains even over the GTX 1080, but realistically speaking the 1080 is also a great card, maybe owners of the 1080 will be better off saving up for the next generation of cards. But if you have to have that extra level of performance the TI does that nicely....decisions its not easy being a enthusiast :) ;)

if you can take a benchmark off your brothers 1080ti rig that will help. i can give you some stock numbers if you let me know what games you got.

I'm talking about flashing a FE card with a custom bios not a custom board.

Well again it might give you one or two percent, fe boards don't have dual bios so if you mess up you have turned a £700 card into a doorstop etc.

Aib boards with dual bios might be worth the risk. I could understand wanting to do it if you gained 10% performance or something but with pascal the days of needing modded bios have gone.

Also last I heard is that the bios is encrypted and nobody has broken the verification encryption yet.

Well again it might give you one or two percent, fe boards don't have dual bios so if you mess up you have turned a £700 card into a doorstop etc.

Aib boards with dual bios might be worth the risk. I could understand wanting to do it if you gained 10% performance or something but with pascal the days of needing modded bios have gone.

Also last I heard is that the bios is encrypted and nobody has broken the verification encryption yet.

I get what you are saying. Its always a risk to flash a card but its something I have done on the last few cards I have owned and its given me a bit of a boost which is always nice. I just don't like seeing voltage or power limits in place when I have a water block and can push things a bit further than if I was on air, hence why I will tend to favour flashing a card to find the limit of the silicone rather than the limit set in place by Nvidia for what is an air cooled card.

Yes Pascals Bios hasn't been cracked which is a surprise as its been out a while.

Last edited:

As long as you have access to another card or cpu with igp you can reflash a card even if it looks "bricked"

Dual bios just achieves the same thing slightly easier

ok i will give a warning to all those pre-ordering the msi 1080ti Seahawk. the 1080 seahawk used a founder edition reference pcb.

for this reason, unless someone has seen pcb photos, the 1080ti seahawk will not have a 150-180% power limit and will boost just like an FE card with an EK block.

this is not the droid you are looking for.

the 1080 AIO card with the best PCB was the 1080 Gigabyte Xtreme Waterforce and the 1080ti edition has not even broke cover yet. the 2nd best choice will be the EVGA 1080ti FTW Hybrid and that one probably does not yet have a CAD diagram completed never mind a production date :)

just to clarify, under water you will hit the power limit before the voltage limit this is why getting a board with better power delivery is more important in more respects than how much raw voltage you can put though the gpu.

if (big if) the form stays as per the 1080 the only way to bypass the 1.09v limit will be to have a custom board and if the 1080 debacle is repeated this will be limited to the asus strix OC, half of fame and the classified cards only. just these three.

you will be able to flash the bios outside of these models however you probably will not be able to set higher than 1.09v even if you can set it on the slider.

surely you must be talking about the gtx 1080 ti seahawk AIO? I can't see the EK Seahawk X coming with a reference design because its based off the MSI gaming X? if you have any source id love to have a read because thats the only card thats tempting me atm :D

Back
Top Bottom