• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

tbh i don't mind the founders edition. if you could increase the fan speed without software. to 65%

i dont want to run afterburner just to plays games without throttling. its silly for nvidia to do. i guess its to make it silent.... silent.... LOL

MSI stance officially
So I wouldn't have direct issue with MSI but it appears their CS is a little hit and miss at moment and even Gibbo mentioned to be a little wary of them.

Rule no.1 if it ain't in writing it cannot be relied upon when you need it.

If OCUK were to state their position to effectively "underwrite" the Warranty of their suppliers in these cases then that would be a good thing, but I don't expect nor blame them for not doing so. At the end of the day there are risks associated with dismantling GPUs and risks have costs.

MSI stance officially

So I wouldn't have direct issue with MSI but it appears their CS is a little hit and miss at moment and even Gibbo mentioned to be a little wary of them.

MSI Customer support is terrible from my experience. It's been one week since I raised a support ticket and still no answer, another ticket was made a few days later and that has also been ignored. It has totally put me off buying their products.

Last edited:
So given this is a 1080Ti thread the question should be.... Does anyone know which manufacturers/suppliers categorically (100% and without ambiguity or obfuscation) publically state in their T&Cs which 1080Ti FE cards can have their cooler removed without voiding the warranty?

So given this is a 1080Ti thread the question should be.... Does anyone know which manufacturers/suppliers categorically (100% and without ambiguity or obfuscation) publically state in their T&Cs which 1080Ti FE cards can have their cooler removed without voiding the warranty?
So far Gigabyte and EVGA allow it. But by removing the cooler and attaching your own in the process if you cause any damage you void the warranty.
Zotac do not have any warranty sticker but thier stance is unknown.

MSI seem to allow it in USA but Gibbo said their CS can be funny about it in the UK.
Don't know about ASUS but i would like to say nope lol.

EVGA are the only ones that openly say that cooler removal wont voud your warranty. Gigabyte, Asus and MSI have all put out statements that are a bit wooly or given people the run around on an RMA, Zotac Gainward etc categorically state that cooler removal will void the warranty

10+ in stock of Zotac as of time of posting this message (Monday 18:51).

Yep, I was mistaken. For some reason on my iPad they were all showing as pre order. But when I checked on my PC I could see the Zotac's. I do want one that doesn't void warranty with cooler removal, though.

EVGA are the only ones that openly say that cooler removal wont voud your warranty. Gigabyte, Asus and MSI have all put out statements that are a bit wooly or given people the run around on an RMA, Zotac Gainward etc categorically state that cooler removal will void the warranty

Exactly... "wooly" = at your risk, honoring the warranty is at their disgression and judgement not yours and if there is a dispute they will point to their T&Cs and you will not have a leg to stand on. For a £300 GPU ok risk is manageable, for a £700 - £750 GPU its no laughing matter even 2-3yrs from now.

Zotac are actually quite helpful in this regard because we do know where they stand and the answer is Warranty is VOID. If you take the cooler off of one of their cards and RMA it and they suspect anything had been tampered with you are in trouble, after 3yrs and with their extended warranty you have next to no recourse as you are dealing with a company outside the UK.

Last edited:
Yep, I was mistaken. For some reason on my iPad they were all showing as pre order. But when I checked on my PC I could see the Zotac's. I do want one that doesn't void warranty with cooler removal, though.
Yea i'm starting to have second thoughts now because of reading up on Zotac's warranty. They do not allow any modification of the product or removal of the GPU cooler fan. Basically removing the cooler will insta void warranty. I'm thinking of cancelling my order and just waiting for EVGA.

To be fair, a five year warranty as standard is unrivalled so it's understandable that they forbid any tampering with the product.

If I wasn't interested in putting my cards under water, then Zotac would be near the top of my list.

To be fair, a five year warranty as standard is unrivalled so it's understandable that they forbid any tampering with the product.

If I wasn't interested in putting my cards under water, then Zotac would be near the top of my list.

Yes it is I agree, all I'm saying is its important to know where you stand and for things to be transparent. Personally I am seriously considering a Zotac AIB solution for 1080Ti, but I won't touch a Zotac 1080Ti FE because having lived through an AMD reference R9 290x I know I'd want to replace the cooler pretty damn quick thus you would lose that 5yr warranty which is Zotac's value prop.

Yes it is I agree, all I'm saying is its important to know where you stand and for things to be transparent. Personally I am seriously considering a Zotac AIB solution for 1080Ti, but I won't touch a Zotac 1080Ti FE because having lived through an AMD reference R9 290x I know I'd want to replace the cooler pretty damn quick thus you would lose that 5yr warranty which is Zotac's value prop.

Fair comment.

If you want to put a FE under water and retain warranty then it's EVGA or nothing IMO.

do people actually try and RMA cards with 3rd party coolers or waterblocks on them?

only Asus and MSI that i know of have those stickers on the screws

Gigabyte and Zotac do not. as long as return the stock cooler before you RMA what's the issue?

if you physically damage the card in the process of removing it and its evident then you deserve to lose your warranty
and even if the company "allows" removal it I doubt the would honour it anyway if its physically damaged

do people actually try and RMA cards with 3rd party coolers or waterblocks on them?

only Asus and MSI that i know of have those stickers on the screws

Gigabyte and Zotac do not. as long as return the stock cooler before you RMA what's the issue?

if you physically damage the card in the process of removing it and its evident then you deserve to lose your warranty
and even if the company "allows" removal it I doubt the would honour it anyway if its physically damaged
Problem is that if they can see you removed the cooler. See the screws have paint stripped. I dont know if they check the die to see if its thier own thermal paste. But if they can tell then theu can insta refuse to do anything further. Im in two minds to try my luck with zotac but just be extra careful. Or just cancel/ send card back and wait for evga. 20 quid more and probs a long wait but peace of mind.

Problem is that if they can see you removed the cooler. See the screws have paint stripped. I dont know if they check the die to see if its thier own thermal paste. But if they can tell then theu can insta refuse to do anything further. Im in two minds to try my luck with zotac but just be extra careful. Or just cancel/ send card back and wait for evga. 20 quid more and probs a long wait but peace of mind.

if you use correct screwdrivers you wont strip the paint off the screws but i must admit that is someone to look out for just be careful or use a black marker pen ive done that before with great results :D ;)

as for the thermal paste Chill Factor 3 closely matches most stock TIM in colour but its not hard and dry I guess that might also be an issue also

maybe you can get cheap TIM off eBay that dry s out hard

tbh will they really go that far unless it was physically damaged

if you use correct screwdrivers you wont strip the paint off the screws but i must admit that is someone to look out for just be careful or use a black marker pen ive done that before with great results :D ;)

as for the thermal paste Chill Factor 3 closely matches most stock TIM in colour but its not hard and dry I guess that might also be an issue also

maybe you can get cheap TIM off eBay that dry s out hard

tbh will they really go that far unless it was physically damaged

Well i thought they checked the pcb for damage and core. So id imagine they could tell if the tim was replaced. I was just thinking of doing something like that for the screws. Or just use electrical tape to help cushion the screw head when inserting any hex/screw driver. Still a risk a risk i guess.

Back
Top Bottom