• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Firstly, where does it say that the 1080tis are failed chips.

What is the Titan XP? It in itself is actually a cut-down chip. Thus the 'magic' that could make a 1080ti faster would be figuring out a way to do the full chip without failing. I.e. then the Titan XP would be a cut down version of the 1080ti.

No hard feelings buddy, I know what you're trying to say, but you've forgotten what the Titan XP is. I'll admit it's not the same way the Titan X was, that was a full chip and the 980ti was cut-down.

Please do post your evidence where Nvidia has confirmed this.

I'm not saying that the 1080ti outright will be faster than a Titan XP. Only someone at Nvidia who is actually working on the chip could know that. But I am suggesting that the idea is possible. It could happen, key word being 'could'. If it doesn't, I'll be disappointed. And it wouldn't make sense to me since the Titan XP already is a cut-down chip that isn't all that much better than a regular 1080.

Regardless of what the 1080ti does end up doing, I know my next GPU will be whichever one manages a solid 4k60. Whether it's a 1080ti, Vega or something further on down the line.

Even as a full chip with faster stock clocks, it would still max out at the same overclock so effectively it might in theory end up being 2 to 5% faster than a Titan XP.

Again nowhere near to the 20% gain people are demanding.

Last edited:
Firstly, where does it say that the 1080tis are failed chips.

What is the Titan XP? It in itself is actually a cut-down chip. Thus the 'magic' that could make a 1080ti faster would be figuring out a way to do the full chip without failing. I.e. then the Titan XP would be a cut down version of the 1080ti.

No hard feelings buddy, I know what you're trying to say, but you've forgotten what the Titan XP is. I'll admit it's not the same way the Titan X was, that was a full chip and the 980ti was cut-down.

Please do post your evidence where Nvidia has confirmed this.

I'm not saying that the 1080ti outright will be faster than a Titan XP. Only someone at Nvidia who is actually working on the chip could know that. But I am suggesting that the idea is possible. It could happen, key word being 'could'. If it doesn't, I'll be disappointed. And it wouldn't make sense to me since the Titan XP already is a cut-down chip that isn't all that much better than a regular 1080.

Regardless of what the 1080ti does end up doing, I know my next GPU will be whichever one manages a solid 4k60. Whether it's a 1080ti, Vega or something further on down the line.
Having being stuck with a 1080 for 2 weeks while my titan xp system was down I disagree.Looking at figures and actually experiencing the performance is totally different.A Titan XP is a nice jump up from the 1080.

I'm sticking with the 1080, If the 1080 Ti is going to clock to around the same as the 1080 or Titan XP which they seem to be in the same ball park clock wise, Then the 1080 Ti should be around 20% faster than the 1080 and personally I'd rather wait for the next new iteration of cards for a nice big perf boost and not just a slight increment.

I'm sticking with the 1080, If the 1080 Ti is going to clock to around the same as the 1080 or Titan XP which they seem to be in the same ball park clock wise, Then the 1080 Ti should be around 20% faster than the 1080 and personally I'd rather wait for the next new iteration of cards for a nice big perf boost and not just a slight increment.

Exactly. It isnt going to give you a big enough fps boost to make games that wont run full pelt on 4k any better.

For 1440p 1080 is already enough.

They are sort of stuck without a market this time round. Next gen is meant to be the ground shaker and be 50% faster (potentially).

Agreed. Although I'm considering skipping this gen altogether if the 1080 Ti is priced as stupidly as I expect it to be.

If I had a 980 TI, I would have definitely kept it for a couple more years at least. There would have been no point upgrading.

But if you are coming from a 970 like I did, there was quite a bit of extra oomph there :)

Exactly. It isnt going to give you a big enough fps boost to make games that wont run full pelt on 4k any better.

For 1440p 1080 is already enough.

They are sort of stuck without a market this time round. Next gen is meant to be the ground shaker and be 50% faster (potentially).

Plus this thing is quite likely to be kinda pricey and not very far off TXP money.

I'm going to wait for Volta or whatever new series comes next :)

Back
Top Bottom