• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

How could it? Same chip, less cores, higher clock (easily matched by clocking the Titan XP), less memory.. :confused:

It is easy to assume they will follow the same path that they did with the 900 series, but what if they were to follow the path of the 700 series with a ti card faster and with more cores than the current Titan.

We won't know till it happens, which hopefully won't be too long away now.

I just can't get excited for more nvidia overpriced tat.

giphy.gif

:D

I believe it will be faster than TXP.

But what worries me is the price they'll charge for it,

Quite a lot of TXP's clock to 2000+, Roughly in the same ball park as the 1080's overclocked clocks so I can't see the "Ti" being faster than the TXP given it's going to have less cores, Less bandwidth and probably clock to around the same as the 1080 and TXP.

Quite a lot of TXP's clock to 2000+, Roughly in the same ball park as the 1080's overclocked clocks so I can't see the "Ti" being faster than the TXP given it's going to have less cores, Less bandwidth and probably clock to around the same as the 1080 and TXP.

Only way it'll be faster that the current TXP is if they refresh that too making it faster than the current TXP but I can't see that happening

I don't think we should bring overclocking into the picture either, ie, Ti overclocked faster than TXP (stock) is a rubbish comparison. Core count means a lot.

Isn't that just because they are all voltage starved? Wouldn't better cooling + more volts solve the problem of being stuck at 2.1Ghz?

Pretty sure most people expect them to be equally fast with the GTX 1080 Ti having higher stock clocks due to having less "cuda cores".
And those folks can dream on.I feel we have peaked with this gen.If the 1080Ti can match or even surpass the TXP and cost less that is excellent,but it won't happen.

Last edited:
Pretty sure most people expect them to be equally fast with the GTX 1080 Ti having higher stock clocks due to having less "cuda cores".

Which is exactly why overclocked performance is what should matter.

There's no physical reason TXP couldn't have shipped with the same boost clock as 1080, but 250W is a lot more marketable than 300W, as is 40dB than 50dB.

It's very telling that every Pascal GPU can hit ~2000MHz, and the same could be said of ~1400MHz on Maxwell.

Which is exactly why overclocked performance is what should matter.

There's no physical reason TXP couldn't have shipped with the same boost clock as 1080, but 250W is a lot more marketable than 300W, as is 40dB than 50dB.

It's very telling that every Pascal GPU can hit ~2000MHz, and the same could be said of ~1400MHz on Maxwell.

Yeah, but lower clocks (and lower TDP) also requires less expensive cooling solutions, which is why anyone buying a TXP should invest in a decent water cooling setup to get the most out of it.

Yeah, but lower clocks (and lower TDP) also requires less expensive cooling solutions, which is why anyone buying a TXP should invest in a decent water cooling setup to get the most out of it.
I once read here that if you can afford a TXP you can afford a good cooling solution for it.Tbh I wasn't happy spending the extra cash to cool it but as the previous statement went,if you can afford a TXP you can afford to cool it.

I once read here that if you can afford a TXP you can afford a good cooling solution for it.Tbh I wasn't happy spending the extra cash to cool it but as the previous statement went,if you can afford a TXP you can afford to cool it.

Thats a silly argument, What people can afford or want to spend is upto them and if someone chooses to spend all there money on a TXP and cant afford/Want to cool it thats their choice no one elses.

Affording and doing is another thing. I have all the cooling bits but currently cooling my CPU with an AIO and cooling my GPU with the stock custom cooler. It can be a chore watercooling and having done it for so long, I can't be bothered to do it for now.

And those folks can dream on.I feel we have peaked with this gen.If the 1080Ti can match or even surpass the TXP and cost less that is excellent,but it won't happen.

erm 780ti was faster and cheaper that the original Titian due to it having a fully unlocked GK110 (but less ram), took 4 months to for the Titian black to show up with fully a unlocked chip.

Heck we could see it again, a fully shader unlocked 1080ti with full or slightly neutered bus with GDDR5X, laters a new Titian (let's call it the XP+), with a unlocked GP102 with 12/16gb of HBM2 :D

How possible that's up for debate but it very much possible. IMO

Affording and doing is another thing. I have all the cooling bits but currently cooling my CPU with an AIO and cooling my GPU with the stock custom cooler. It can be a chore watercooling and having done it for so long, I can't be bothered to do it for now.

Just buy a quick disconnect block from EKWB and it's easy peasy. ;)

At £1100 for a super-duper premium card I'd expect a more capable stock cooler to begin with. I'm hoping that we'll at least get some decent coolers fitted to the 1080 Ti

Back
Top Bottom