• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
IMHO its all about yields and how many P100 chips NVidia have stockpiled since they started producing them in Q1 2016 (?). Somewhere in Nvidia the finance team got their calculator out and they already know how many chips Nvidia need to shift prior to Volta launching when considering the competition from Vega, this will determine the price of the 1080ti.

If stock pile is low then prepared to got rinsed, if stock pile is big then prices will move downward once Vega launches because they will need to shift volume prior to Volta arriving. My suspicion is that the 980ti launched with a big inventory of chips to shift and thats why the price was reasonable.

Soldato
The point I am making is that 1080ti will be expensive...1080's wont suddenly drop massively in price like some in MM seem to think :p

Definitely agree... we've been here before, it's 980/980Ti all over again. I don't know why people think different. I still laugh at all that talk a while ago when people though you would be getting a 980Ti for under £200 in the MM haha! Hilarious. The price the 1080 is today is going to pretty much remain where it is for the foreseeable future, and the 1080Ti will be the most expensive 'mainstream' consumer GPU in history (Titan excluded of course), circa £800-900 I am quite sure.

I am also keeping a close eye on VEGA, and with an X34 as well, I would certainly consider selling that and going AMD/Freesync if they bring a powerful enough product to market at the right price. Coupled with the cheaper Freesync monitors, that could represent a whopping saving over the Nvidia/G-Sync route.

Caporegime
Definitely agree... we've been here before, it's 980/980Ti all over again. I don't know why people think different. I still laugh at all that talk a while ago when people though you would be getting a 980Ti for under £200 in the MM haha! Hilarious. The price the 1080 is today is going to pretty much remain where it is for the foreseeable future, and the 1080Ti will be the most expensive 'mainstream' consumer GPU in history (Titan excluded of course), circa £800-900 I am quite sure.

I am also keeping a close eye on VEGA, and with an X34 as well, I would certainly consider selling that and going AMD/Freesync if they bring a powerful enough product to market at the right price. Coupled with the cheaper Freesync monitors, that could represent a whopping saving over the Nvidia/G-Sync route.

To be fair it was more because of the lacklustre performance increase pascal offered over an overclocked 980ti. I did some some sell for £250 though.

This time round because of the exchange rate which has kept 1080 prices higher than they should and even now with Gibbos special offer some cards are still more than what you could have bought them for on launch day, this will keep 1080 prices high.

As I have said before when the 1080 launched the was $1.45 to the pound and is now $1.25. Even if Nvidia launched the 1080Ti at the same price as the 1080 was at launch it would make them £671+ here. And I doubt they will launch at that price anyway.

It will all depends how good and what price Vega is. Nvidia will have a pretty good knowledge as to hwo it will perform and what the price will be. Occasionally Nvidia get caught out on AMD's pricing and have to drop the price to match.

You have to remember that any card released today will be 17% more expensive to UK buyers than last May. On dollar price alone if Nvdia released a 1080ti at only $50 or $100 more than a 1080 then people would be cheering but with the exchange rate change that extra $100 will put them £150 more than the 1080.

Then add EVGA and Asus tax and you will see some 1080Ti being over £800.

Caporegime
To be fair it was more because of the lacklustre performance increase pascal offered over an overclocked 980ti. I did some some sell for £250 though.

This time round because of the exchange rate which has kept 1080 prices higher than they should and even now with Gibbos special offer some cards are still more than what you could have bought them for on launch day, this will keep 1080 prices high.

As I have said before when the 1080 launched the was $1.45 to the pound and is now $1.25. Even if Nvidia launched the 1080Ti at the same price as the 1080 was at launch it would make them £671+ here. And I doubt they will launch at that price anyway.

It will all depends how good and what price Vega is. Nvidia will have a pretty good knowledge as to hwo it will perform and what the price will be. Occasionally Nvidia get caught out on AMD's pricing and have to drop the price to match.

You have to remember that any card released today will be 17% more expensive to UK buyers than last May. On dollar price alone if Nvdia released a 1080ti at only $50 or $100 more than a 1080 then people would be cheering but with the exchange rate change that extra $100 will put them £150 more than the 1080.

Then add EVGA and Asus tax and you will see some 1080Ti being over £800.

A 1080ti will be far more than £150 more expensive than a 1080

Caporegime
A 1080ti will be far more than £150 more expensive than a 1080

Again all depends on Vega. Look at the £130 4850 and £180 4870. They werent the fastest card but were so much cheaper than Nvidia's tha it didnt matter.

If AMD launch a 1080 beating card for £500, Nvidia wont be able to charge £800+ for the 1080Ti.

Soldato
Again all depends on Vega. Look at the £130 4850 and £180 4870. They werent the fastest card but were so much cheaper than Nvidia's tha it didnt matter.

If AMD launch a 1080 beating card for £500, Nvidia wont be able to charge £800+ for the 1080Ti.

I am more inclined to think we'll be in a scenario where VEGA is priced closer to the 1080Ti at the high end than people are expecting or will react kindly to. The market has proven high priced GPUs sell, so it is quite possible AMD will simply follow Nvidia in this regard, rather than undercut them massively. It may be wishful thinking that AMD will adopt the same strategy with VEGA as they have Ryzen. We shall see I suppose...

easyrider you'll be pleased to hear my offer was so derogatory it was accepted.

I don't know why you believe the 1080 second hand value wouldn't plummet, it happens pretty much every time a new card is about to be released.

Plummet? Depends on your definition. As I mentioned earlier, some people predicted (or rather wanted) the 980Ti to be a £200 second hand GPU last year when the 1070/1080 were released... it STILL isn't lol! Yes prices always fall, but I'd be interested to know what you expect second hand 1080's to be going for in a month's time when the 1080Ti is out?

Caporegime
easyrider you'll be pleased to hear my offer was so derogatory it was accepted.

I don't know why you believe the 1080 second hand value wouldn't plummet, it happens pretty much every time a new card is about to be released.

To be fair the prices holds up well until the new card is released and people know the price and the performance. Its like when I sold my card the week before the 8800GT came out. I got £145 for a 2nd hand card which was then replaced by a new £119 card which was faster. A week later my card was only selling for £80.

Caporegime
Plummet? Depends on your definition. As I mentioned earlier, some people predicted (or rather wanted) the 980Ti would be a £200 second hand GPU last year when the 1070/1080 were released... it STILL isn't lol! Yes prices always fall, but I'd be interested to know what you expect 1080's to be going for in a month's time when the 1080Ti is out?

If you sold up a week or so back you could get £550 for a high end 1080, now being let go for £450. That's a drastic drop imo.

V F

V F

Soldato
I wonder what sexy cooler the 1080 Ti will come in... Come on, I need this so badly! Getting sick of nursing the 5870's.

V F

V F

Soldato
I was thinking of the monster 3rd party coolers like AMP Extreme... Or something along that line. Something big the fans don't kick in for a while.

Soldato
If you sold up a week or so back you could get £550 for a high end 1080, now being let go for £450. That's a drastic drop imo.

I think I've only seen one go that low, and it was let go easy at that price. Most people won't want to go that low, and you'll always get more on the bay or Gumtree than the MM... it's not always the best indication of true value. And that really is BOTTOM price, I simply cannot see them going any lower for a while yet.

I picked up a 1080 on the bay not long after release for £550, EVGA FE, so it's been possible to get them at that price for ages, so even at £450 it's not a sudden plummet.

Caporegime
If an EVGA classy and HoF have went for £450 I can't see anyone with a bit of common sense paying more, most people check previous threads to see what cards have went for recently.

An FE is a bit different to models that retail for around £700 currently. You also bought before the price hike. £100 drop in recent weeks is most certainly a sudden plummet.

Also I'm not interested what they go for elsewhere, eBay has fees and is always overpriced and gumtree is a scammers haven and you're relying on people in your area having the card you want.

Caporegime
If an EVGA classy and HoF have went for £450 I can't see anyone with a bit of common sense paying more, most people check previous threads to see what cards have went for recently.

An FE is a bit different to models that retail for around £700 currently. You also bought before the price hike. £100 drop in recent weeks is most certainly a sudden plummet.

980ti last week went for 270 in mm

Back
Top Bottom