OCUK Body Builders: Post your Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capodecina
Permabanned
Thanks, means a lot. Although I don't have motivation issues it gives you a little bit more when you know you're heading the right way.

I basically want to keep the shape i've got, just bigger!

I'm natural and smaller framed so i'll never get to a stupid size anyways.

Caporegime
Thanks, means a lot. Although I don't have motivation issues it gives you a little bit more when you know you're heading the right way.

I basically want to keep the shape i've got, just bigger!

I'm natural and smaller framed so i'll never get to a stupid size anyways.

Indeed, it always helps to get good comments :]
Unless you really really want to push for competition standard, there is no need for you to go huge.
Keep that v-taper, it will get the mung (i cannot believe i am using that word!).

Associate
Keep that v-taper, it will get the mung (i cannot believe i am using that word!).

I just had to google "mung" and I don't like what I just read!! :eek::(

haha same

'to mung is to consume the bodily fluids of a corpse, preferably that of an old woman, and typically by direct mouth-on-orifice contact while a buddy jumps on the corpse's stomach'

Dont wana be doin that now :eek:

Man of Honour
http://www.wmr.me.uk/files/200kgdl.3gp

A vid of me doing 200kg deadlift. I did 205 straight after. This is after 4 full sets I just felt like doing a 1RM (though I can actually do a couple at 200). My arse is actually lower than it looks in the vid, I don't use a belt either as I have a pretty decent core strength :)

I'm sure there will be some comments but I welcome them. I need some pics of my squats as I'm sure I can get lower (on 160x8 at the moment).

Soldato
With deadlifts, does the full movement not consist of the lift AND the lowering down of the weight? Surely, as the video is showing the guy only lifting the weight (then dropping it) and not lowering it, he is doing half a dead lift?

Another point of note is gym etiquette - is it seen as "ok" to simply let such a heavy weight drop down to the floor like that?

Sorry Freefaller, I'm not picking on your video, I genuinely want to the answers to my questions.

Caporegime
It's called a Deadlift not a deadlower :p

In all seriousness, it was a perfectly acceptable lift. He did lower the bar in a controlled fashion which would've passed in a competition.

As far as gym etiquette goes, if people don't like listening to heavy weight being thrown about they should really stick to doing their dumbbell curls at home or wear headphones.

Edit: Having said it would've passed in a competition I would've still failed him for his choice in music :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I didn't choose the music! :p Besides, what's wrong with Queen?! :D

2 things. Firstly I was on a mat (about 2 inches thick) to absorb the shock and the noise a little. Secondly, it was lowered in a very control manner (compared to a lot of people who just let them drop and bounce) IMO, and it wasn't a BOR as well! ;) And lastly (ok so it's 3 things) that's how you do deadlifts!!!

It's the free weights room, people bang crash weights around all day. I'll get a vid of me doing a BOR and I'll show you how I pick up/lower the weight in such an instance if you want :)

PK's explained it all anyway - I wouldn't call my DL a textbook version, but apart from a bit of showboating (holding the bar for a while) the lift and lowering of the bar was IMO reasonable.

Soldato
With deadlifts, does the full movement not consist of the lift AND the lowering down of the weight? Surely, as the video is showing the guy only lifting the weight (then dropping it) and not lowering it, he is doing half a dead lift?

Another point of note is gym etiquette - is it seen as "ok" to simply let such a heavy weight drop down to the floor like that?

Sorry Freefaller, I'm not picking on your video, I genuinely want to the answers to my questions.
I'd say it actually dangerous to lower the bar slowly on deadlifts once you get to a certain weight. From a bodybuilding point of view it can be usefull to lower the weight slowly using a moderate weight allowing higher reps to try and stimulate maximum hypertrophy.

For someone lifting heavy then the bar should be lowered exactly as Freefaller does in that clip ;)

Nice lift btw mate... looked easy ;)

Man of Honour
Cheers buddy :D Shame I didn't get the 205kg on vid, but it wasn't much different, but definitely more of a struggle.

I agree about the lowering part of ANY exercise is extremely important for size development - to a certain point. Negs are great, but some exercises they are just not feasible. BORs and Bench are 2 really good types of exercises where negs or the lowering part is very important - rather than letting the bar "go" you fight it's return path and keep pressure on your muscles to control the speed of the bar.

On DLs unless you're using relatively light weights say around 100kg, doing continuous lifting/lowering isn't going to be possible without injury.

At least I didn't just let it go or throw it down like some clowns at my gym do :rolleyes: I really hate that.

Soldato
On DLs unless you're using relatively light weights say around 100kg...

Alright alright...:D

These days I'm lifting around 100KG on the deadlift, 10 reps, but perfect form when lowering the weight down to the ground - you can barely hear the weights touching the ground. I always tend to perform my lifts - any and all of them - in that fashion. But thats just me.

And for some reason, I always thought that Freefaller would be totally covered in hair, but he doesnt appear to be outrageously hairy to me. Even his head is shaved.

Soldato
At least I didn't just let it go or throw it down like some clowns at my gym do.

Ive never seen anyone do that at my gym. At any decent weight, I would imagine that it would make quite a racket.

For some reason, at my gym, I hardly see anyone doing deadlifts. Even I'm not totally into them, as I find that exercise makes my waist look thicker, which is not what I want.

Man of Honour
On most exercises I would agree that the lowering part is important - but doing low rep high weights on a DL is not really feasible. :) On light DLs I do them in a more "rep" fashion so that they just kiss the floor and then I bring them back up again. However for DLs you don't REALLY need to do that :)

As I said, bench or BORs or any other exercises (except squats where you have no choice! :p) the negative part of the rep is just as important performed as part of the rep keeping a good tempo. There's no need for tempo on DLs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom