*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Does anyone use the quest for just PC steam games?
I am looking at buying new VR setup after my Rift CV1 died.

But I only want it to play steam games on from my PC like H3VR, Blood trails, dead effect 2 and other shooters.
so I don't know if the best options is use the quest 2 with link cable or try over wireless?
My router next to my PC if that helps much.

I read compression and lag can be an issue?
Thank you.
If I was going to buy a new headset just for PCVR without caring about standalone stuff, and didn't already have a Quest 2, I would wait till 18th October and get the Pico 4 when it launches in the UK. Virtual desktop looks good and has less haloing from the fresnel lens. You do get compression but NVENC with virtual desktop looks good. Relatively cheap until Valve gets their next gen headset out.

Check out this comparison:

There is a lot of really cool standalone stuff that only works on Quest 2 though, and the ecosystem gets better support from devs in general so I'll wait for a Quest 3. Sideloading Quake2, Quake3, Doom3, PSP emulators and cool mod projects the Quest 2 is worth it for me. The comfort improvement and lens upgrade on Pico 4 is nice, shame it doesn't have a display port connection like Pico Neo Link 3 but you do get the trade off of the better fit. No 120 FPS support on the Pico 4, but the Quest 2 didn't have that at launch as well. Quest Pro will be good but likely to cost more than 1k.

Last edited:
Underboss
Does anyone use the quest for just PC steam games?
I am looking at buying new VR setup after my Rift CV1 died.

But I only want it to play steam games on from my PC like H3VR, Blood trails, dead effect 2 and other shooters.
so I don't know if the best options is use the quest 2 with link cable or try over wireless?
My router next to my PC if that helps much.

I read compression and lag can be an issue?
Thank you.

Hp reverb g2
OR
pico 4

Associate
Does anyone have a video that shows the compression on wifi or link cable so that I have an idea of what it looks like?
Thank you.
for me, i don't know what people are on about when they say they see compression or artifacts with a quest 2 wifi/link cable link. the only time i've seen something off is when my quest 2/pc/router link isn't working correctly (usually because i have changed a setting somewhere). airlink looks the same as link cable to me, and quest 2 looks the same as other wired pcvr headsets i've owned (apart from obvious differences like resolution, fov etc).

Soldato
for me, i don't know what people are on about when they say they see compression or artifacts with a quest 2 wifi/link cable link. the only time i've seen something off is when my quest 2/pc/router link isn't working correctly (usually because i have changed a setting somewhere). airlink looks the same as link cable to me, and quest 2 looks the same as other wired pcvr headsets i've owned (apart from obvious differences like resolution, fov etc).
Have you tried No Mans Sky or Skyrim?
Noticeable artefacts for me, even when standing right next to the router.
Skyrim in particular can look very smeary in densely foliaged areas when using wireless.

I have an index too and it can sometimes look sharper than Quest 2 due to the non compressed image despite being lower resolution.

Associate
Have you tried No Mans Sky or Skyrim?
Noticeable artefacts for me, even when standing right next to the router.
Skyrim in particular can look very smeary in densely foliaged areas when using wireless.

I have an index too and it can sometimes look sharper than Quest 2 due to the non compressed image despite being lower resolution.
ive played both of them, only skyrim in the Q2 though. i didn't notice anything but i'm not saying it's not there, it's just i don't notice it, i suppose we all have different sensitivities etc.

Soldato
ive played both of them, only skyrim in the Q2 though. i didn't notice anything but i'm not saying it's not there, it's just i don't notice it, i suppose we all have different sensitivities etc.
Also different routers, etc.

That said, the vast majority of PC VR games look great when played wirelessly. It's only really 'busy' or fast moving games where i notice it. Also reprojection can also look like compression artefacts.

Soldato
I've finally made a Meta account and unlinked my FB account! Not put the headset on for months and finally did it, wasn't as much of a hassle as i thought it would be. Just needed a couple of restarts and updates and it was done.

Caporegime
Oh man the Pico4 looks like such a big upgrade over the Quest 2, with the only slight downside I have seen possible slightly reduced black levels. The clarity of the pancake lenses is on a completely different level to the fresnel lenses on the Quest 2.

I am going to wait until Q4 to see how the Pico 4 Pro and Quest Pro are, but I am certainly going to upgrade to something else as while the Quest 2 has been decent for the price, the visual quality is way behind pancake lenses and also the headsets with eye tracking should enable foveated rendering which will improve performance.

Back
Top Bottom