*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Hi all.

My 8 year old son has been going on and on about Meta Quest 2 VR. We're thinking about getting it as a family Christmas present for us all to share, rather than just for him.

Is there any reason why buying this from John is a bad idea? Is it OK for 8 year olds? Any other tips or thoughts on buying / deals or appropriateness are gratefully received.

Sounds like it could be fun for the whole family if I stream it to our big TV etc. and we can all watch what's going on.

Meta don't officially allow under 13s to officially use the Quest 2. You can only create a Meta account to use one if you are 13 or over.

Also some games and experiences are not suitable for children due to age ratings and the intensity.

It's also not a good idea for children to use VR for long periods as their brains and visual systems are still developing.

That said there's no harm in children playing VR for short periods for the less intense games and experiences.

So it's fine to have a Quest 2 as a family device, providing the child's usage is limited and monitored.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rav has pretty much nailed it. Plus if you know someone with a headset already be sure to get a referral from them, free credit in the store for both of you. You can also get referrals for some games which is a discount for you and a little credit for them.

If you don't, just ask here and people can DM you if you have it open.

Associate
Check your child's IPD (the distance between their pupils). If this is below the lowest IPD setting on the Quest 2, it will not be good for their eye development to use the headset.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meta don't officially allow under 13s to officially use the Quest 2. You can only create a Meta account to use one if you are 13 or over.

Also some games and experiences are not suitable for children due to age ratings and the intensity.

It's also not a good idea for children to use VR for long periods as their brains and visual systems are still developing.

That said there's no harm in children playing VR for short periods for the less intense games and experiences.

So it's fine to have a Quest 2 as a family device, providing the child's usage is limited and monitored.

Guilty for being that guy who slapped on Resident Evil in VR and told my 12yr old cousin its a exploration adventure game :cry:.

Soldato
Guilty for being that guy who slapped on Resident Evil in VR and told my 12yr old cousin its a exploration adventure game :cry:.
I put my then teenage daughter into my CV1 playing Robo Recall. In the intro of the game a bunch of robots jump right at you and she screamed and burst into tears! It really freaked her out.

Soldato
Luckily it didn't put her off entirely. She just hates games that invade your personal space. She loved the Wolves In Your Walls experience, Beat Saber and Walkabout Minigolf.

Soldato
Luckily it didn't put her off entirely. She just hates games that invade your personal space. She loved the Wolves In Your Walls experience, Beat Saber and Walkabout Minigolf.
Thats good to know, first impressions of VR is so important i feel. It can make or break it for some.

Soldato
My biggest concern is the extra weight on their neck.
It's not so much the weight on the neck but the back of the head. I found if you mount the headset in a certain way it can really strain the back of your head and in turn the back of your head. I found this out while using the official battery strap.

Associate
Well apart from the fact that controllers can be broken easily and cost £90 each I believe, no reason not to buy it, the whole family will enjoy it.

Maybe better to have your son sitting down while playing while you sit beside him, ready to grab anything that's about to fall.

That's what I do with a special needs child., who really enjoys the headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom