*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Caporegime
I swear every time I turn my back, Walkabout has a new update. 2.7GB one today. Even better - Audio Trip had an update with 9 new songs :).

Edit - @ShiWarrior seemingly so, though it may be new for me as I haven't played my Q2 for a week or two. Menu system looks revamped, new maps and there looks to be be additional paid content.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hooked it up via USB cable again, went through the setup again, added the programs as exceptions in Window Firewall, and everything now appears to be working via Airlink again.

On another note, what's the best way to stream video files from PC to headset? Is there a file browser in the Quest somewhere that will allow me to stream files on my PC?

Soldato
Hooked it up via USB cable again, went through the setup again, added the programs as exceptions in Window Firewall, and everything now appears to be working via Airlink again.

On another note, what's the best way to stream video files from PC to headset? Is there a file browser in the Quest somewhere that will allow me to stream files on my PC?

You have to use apps like Skybox, Virtual Desktop or Bigscreen.

Soldato

As you're quite sure you don't have VD, then you can just play it on your PC and select the desktop option from the oculus dash menu. Note there may be some background noise from your PCVR home room depending on how you have it set up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. Hard to believe that there's no native way to do that but if I have to pony up, what I'm intending to use it for is so worth it.

The native way is to use airlink to stream the oculus home room to the headset and select the desktop icon from the dash menu. Then you get a virtual desktop to play your media on. Full screen, enlarge screen size or curved screen.

You'll have to move to the rear right of the home room where there are no sounds from the fire or the wind in the trees.

Try it, it's free!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The native way is to use airlink to stream the oculus home room to the headset and select the desktop icon from the dash menu. Then you get a virtual desktop to play your media on. Full screen, enlarge screen size or curved screen.

You'll have to move to the rear right of the home room where there are no sounds from the fire or the wind in the trees.

Try it, it's free!
Thanks, I've tried that - it seems to show a 2D desktop in the 3D world, i.e. 3D videos wouldn't be immersive.

Anyway I've installed Bigscreen Beta, which seems to be free, so I'll try that later too.

Soldato
For 3D films you'll need side-by-side encoded content. A 3D bluray will not stream to the headset.

When properly encoded at a decent quality a 3D film looks incredible when viewed on an Imax sized virtual cinema screen.

Soldato
For 3D films you'll need side-by-side encoded content. A 3D bluray will not stream to the headset.

When properly encoded at a decent quality a 3D film looks incredible when viewed on an Imax sized virtual cinema screen.

VR is easily the best 3D movie experience when setup correctly with a decent 3D film, Avatar is one example.

Soldato
VR is easily the best 3D movie experience when setup correctly with a decent 3D film, Avatar is one example.

I've been showing Avatar in 3D on my Quest Pro and my daughter was legitimately amazed. She said she understands now why I watch most of my movies in VR.

I've been going out of my way to buy as many 3D blurays as possible to convert them for viewing in VR. Found loads in charity shops and CEX for really cheap prices. Just got Jurassic Park 3D (the original) for £3.

Soldato
Oh? So if I have a 3D Blu-ray file of Avatar for example, I can't play it on my Quest 2 over Airlink? How do you watch them then, by transferring the file directly to the headset?

You have to convert them. I can't go into details on here as it could break forum rules on copyright.

You can find out easily enough how to convert them to 3D SBS format via an internet search.

Once you have a file in the correct format you can either play it on your desktop and stream via Virtual Desktop or Big Screen, or copy the file onto your headset and play locally using those, which is what I do for best quality.

I think Skybox can also access network shares to stream content from your PC.

It is a massive shame that Meta doesn't have a streaming service for 3D movies, as VR is the best way to watch them outside of an Imax.

Back
Top Bottom