*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Just seen a youtube video with leaked spec of the quest 3, not that impressed to be honest, same old elastic strap it seems and battery at front. OK pancake lenses and colour passthrough, I'm thinking if that is really what its going to be like, I am not sure if I would upgrade to it from Quest 2. I was probably expecting something along the same lines as the Pico 4, with strap and battery at back. Not sure if I have already asked but has anyone tried the Pico?

Do you think will some smart geek ever invent a mod for the Pico so that we will have access and be able to run apps from the Quest store?

Al legal I would think much in the same way that the fire tablet doesn't have the Google play store or apps but it can be legally sideloaded and the apps will work.

Soldato
Just seen a youtube video with leaked spec of the quest 3, not that impressed to be honest, same old elastic strap it seems and battery at front. OK pancake lenses and colour passthrough, I'm thinking if that is really what its going to be like, I am not sure if I would upgrade to it from Quest 2. I was probably expecting something along the same lines as the Pico 4, with strap and battery at back. Not sure if I have already asked but has anyone tried the Pico?

Do you think will some smart geek ever invent a mod for the Pico so that we will have access and be able to run apps from the Quest store?

Al legal I would think much in the same way that the fire tablet doesn't have the Google play store or apps but it can be legally sideloaded and the apps will work.

What video?

Elastic strap and battery at the front allow for customisable and replaceable headstraps, potentially even reusing your q2 ones, it's a positive for me. Also means I can put a powerbank on the back for good weight balance and play time.

Pancakes would be really nice. The main thing I'm honestly looking for is eye tracking. Improved FOV over the q2 would be nice too.

It should still have AV1 decoding as well, which potentially makes it truly fantastic if paired with eye tracking in my mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, though I like the Pro's headstrap, I can see the benefit in the Quest 2's system of replacable straps because it gives way more options.

Everyone's head is a different size and shape, and it's difficult to make a strap that works for everyone.

Personally I really like the Q2 Elite battery strap which despite its tendency to break, either the strap or the ratchet, balances out the headset nicely and makes it more comfortable as well as adding more battery life.

Soldato
It's been over a year since I properly used pc vr, other than the occasional dabble. Today I fired up Project Cars 2 and was very impressed. I do have a bit of new hardware (CPU upgrade) which I guess is helping but maybe also some behind the scenes improvements to the link software and quest software have helped too in the year or more I've not done much with it.

Now need to sit down and run through some settings options to try and see what level of quality it's capable of reaching and what frame rates.

Soldato

the thing i am waiting for RE the quest 3 is will the new self tracking controllers be included. if they are then i will probably bite. if not then i hoped the leaked designs are wrong....... becasue it will have rubbish above the head tracking

look at the 5 cameras on it, 3 forward facing and 2 down. there are 2 black things on the plastic part of the head strap but not sure they can be cameras as a persons head will occlude them.

Soldato
The main advantage with the cloth strap is it's detachable and can be replaced with alternate straps which can provide more comfort and balance.

The Pro has an integrated strap with rear battery and though it's pretty balanced it can be uncomfortable for some people. I had to add a top strap to make it comfortable, but removing the main strap and replacing it with a different style isn't possible - or at least not practical.

The big thing about the Q3 is what display will it be using? If it's a single panel then we get the same problems the Q2 has of limited IPD, small FOV, and unused pixels, plus its unlikely to be a QLED display like the Pro.

We know it I'll have pancake lenses which will make IPD less of an issue though as there are no sweet spot issues as the whole lens is sharp.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also think it's very unlikely the Q3 will use the Pro controllers. My guess is it'll use new 'semi-pro' controllers using tracking rings, but with the pinch sensor, trigger sensor and haptics of the Pro controllers as that'll be the new standard in Touch controllers.

Soldato
I also think it's very unlikely the Q3 will use the Pro controllers. My guess is it'll use new 'semi-pro' controllers using tracking rings, but with the pinch sensor, trigger sensor and haptics of the Pro controllers as that'll be the new standard in Touch controllers.
do you think the 3D leaks are wrong then? or will tracking at the extremes be sacrificed to encourage people to pay extra for the pro controllers separately?

Soldato
The Pro controllers are far too expensive to be bundled with the Q3. Though they have said the Q3 will be a bit more expensive than the Q2, so maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think we've seen any leaks of Q3 controllers have we?

I've heard the Pro controllers will be compatible with Q3 though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Virtual desktop has been playing up a bit for me. Black flickers, sometimes the left eye glitches and gets a second delay on the right. Weird stuff.

Switched to airline for now, it looks like it has a grainy effect though. Increased link speed to 350. It's helped, worth pushing higher on 6700xt?

Back
Top Bottom