*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
OK, I've spent a couple of hours trying games with Local Dimming and on the whole it's an amazing improvement.

It does work better for some games than others. Blooming can be an issue, making it seem like the lit part of the image is washed out slightly, though I imagine tweaking the brightness and constrast would help.

Standouts are Elite Dangerous, where the cockpit when not lit goes almost completely black, and space looks noticably darker, Cosmodread, where anything outside of the flashlight looks pretty dark, The Blu, where the abyss section was pitch black until the bioluminescent creatures came out to play, and Skybox VR movie player, and the movies looked amazing with darker blacks and higher contrast.

Also with the dimming you get almost OLED levels of contrast which makes brightly lit logos and light sources blinding in places.

Caporegime
I'm proper geeking out tonight after work. There is supposedly some VR club here at the university where they test out new/prototype software and hardware in the VR space :D.

Edit - really good fun. Got a history tour of VR headsets dating back all the way to 1987. One of which was massive, the eyes were two Sony portable TV screens with a humongous lens system, multiple PCBs and wires and it weighed a ton. I played Pacman in VR whilst shuffling on a stationary treadmill thingymajig. Also tried something called the box (powered by a monster of a workstation, 2 separate computers just for the tracking and 4 cinema DLPs) which projected VR onto the walls - the glasses you wore then did the tracking and moved the images accordingly. It was pretty cool, apparently some former PhD students got Quake running in it but made themselves so sick, they gave up. Annoyingly I missed out on a chance to try the PSVR2 - next time. But I did try a unit (X3 I think), which had an additional camera assembly at the front so it could do full passthrough and AR. Tried a human anatomy demo there - very impressive. And then a demo of the graphical horse power, wondering around an artist's studio but boy the rendering was insane. It used photogrammetry and easily rivaled top end PC graphics.

Edit - what a twist. Just won a Google Daydream VR headset at a work raffle.

Last edited:
Soldato
A mate of mine had a go of my rift a few years ago. He's decided to get a quest 2. But he's saying it looks like he's in a tunnel and it's nothing like the rift.

With the rift, it's like everything is your eyes and no black boarder around the edges. Is he doing something wrong ?

Underboss
A mate of mine had a go of my rift a few years ago. He's decided to get a quest 2. But he's saying it looks like he's in a tunnel and it's nothing like the rift.

With the rift, it's like everything is your eyes and no black boarder around the edges. Is he doing something wrong ?

the quest 2 has a bit more FOV

but i can only think that his eyes are slightly further back on the quest 2 than the Rift
does he wear glasses ?

Soldato
the quest 2 has a bit more FOV

but i can only think that his eyes are slightly further back on the quest 2 than the Rift
does he wear glasses ?

No, no glasses.

It's hard to explain. The rift is just your eyes. And you can see nothing else but the screen/lens/game if you know what I mean

He's saying it's not like that. It's black around the outside and looks like tunnel vision. He's very disappointed and sending it back.

When I put the rift on. There's no black at all. It's just the game is my eyes and you just feel immersed

Last edited:
Underboss
No, no glasses.

It's hard to explain. The rift is just your eyes. And you can see nothing else but the screen/lens/game if you know what I mean

He's saying it's not like that. It's black around the outside and looks like tunnel vision. He's very disappointed and sending it back.

paging @Ravenger as he owns a quest 2, quest pro, rift etc

I own a pico 4 myself (Quest 2 user too)

from my experience they all do that, not sure about the rift though

Last edited:
Soldato
paging @Ravenger as he owns a quest 2, quest pro, rift etc

I own a pico 4 myself (Quest 2 user too)

from my experience they all do that, not sure about the rift though

Yeah from good it does seem that way.

The rift is old now. And he's saying it's just much better. He's not even a pc gamer or console gamer. He just wanted to play VR and was totally miffed about it not being like the rift.

I've not had a go of anything other than the rift and a quick go of a vibe years ago. But that wasn't my experience.

Soldato
No, no glasses.

When I put the rift on. There's no black at all. It's just the game is my eyes and you just feel immersed
that does sound like the limitations of the FOV. the quest 2 FOV isn't brill and you can see the limit of it ..... but it's on a par with the rift CV1 so possibly a case of rose tinted specs and miss remembering.

either that or the quest 2 was not fitted correctly

there are plenty of headsets with a larger FOV but they cost more. the Pico 4 as a slightly better fov and far better lenses.... it would be an improvement but not night and day I fear.

does he have an extreme IPD? or an odd shaped head? if his eyes are super close or super far apart perhaps the single screen of the quest 2 is over it's limits. the rift CV1 has 1 screen per eye rather than shared so is a little better at the extremes of its supported IPD

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty impressed with their CS, told them my unit had a stuck pixel. Even though it’s over 2 years old and out of warranty they provided a shipping label and now a replacement is on it’s way.

Soldato
either that or the quest 2 was not fitted correctly

He said it was on tight and that it felt like his face should have been closer so it closed the gap/got rid of the black

We have spent hours on my rift. We swapped and changed without changing settings.

He's all Seton sending it back. He's saying it's that bad compared to the rift I have.

Soldato
Pretty impressed with their CS, told them my unit had a stuck pixel. Even though it’s over 2 years old and out of warranty they provided a shipping label and now a replacement is on it’s way.
Mine had a stuck pixel out of the box. Probably also 2 years old.

Did yours have a stuck pixel from new or a recent development?

Need to get my story straight, if I say it been there since new and not really bothered me, they might not give me an exchange :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine had a stuck pixel out of the box. Probably also 2 years old.

Did yours have a stuck pixel from new or a recent development?

Need to get my story straight, if I say it been there since new and not really bothered me, they might not give me an exchange :)

I noticed it monhs ago so assuming it's been there for a while.

Anyway they didn't ask about that. All I said was it had a stuck pixel. They wanted a picture which was a pain to get.

Soldato
He said it was on tight and that it felt like his face should have been closer so it closed the gap/got rid of the black

We have spent hours on my rift. We swapped and changed without changing settings.

He's all Seton sending it back. He's saying it's that bad compared to the rift I have.

Did you change the IPD? Does he know his IPD?

EDIT: The Rift Civ1 doesn't have a much bigger FOV than the Quest 2. You get the same binocular effect on both. All I can think of, outside a faulty Quest 2, is that the IPD of the Rift worked better for him that the IPD that the Quest 2 was on.

Last edited:
Soldato
No idea what that is

It's the distance between the pupils of your eyes. There are phone apps that can measure it roughly for you.

Check the edit of my last post.

There is a dial on the Rift Civ1 to change the IPD to best suit the person using the headset. On the Quest 2, you change it by pushing the lenses on the headset.

Back
Top Bottom