*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
It's the distance between the pupils of your eyes. There are phone apps that can measure it roughly for you.

Check the edit of my last post.

There is a dial on the Rift Civ1 to change the IPD to best suit the person using the headset. On the Quest 2, you change it by pushing the lenses on the headset.

Ah yeah. He tried that. I found it didn't do much anyway

Soldato
Ah yeah. He tried that. I found it didn't do much anyway

If you have an extremely small or extremely large IPD outside the ranges of the headset then changing the IPD will make no difference.

However, if your friend is getting binocular vision when looking through the Quest 2 and not the Rift Civ1, then there is something wrong. The difference in FOV is very small and certainly not enough to account for that big of difference. He is either doing something wrong, or misremembering his experience on the Rift.

Soldato
If you have an extremely small or extremely large IPD outside the ranges of the headset then changing the IPD will make no difference.

However, if your friend is getting binocular vision when looking through the Quest 2 and not the Rift Civ1, then there is something wrong. The difference in FOV is very small and certainly not enough to account for that big of difference. He is either doing something wrong, or misremembering his experience on the Rift.

Or has a strange face shape that pushes the q2 lenses further away than the rift lenses?

Soldato
No, never had a issue with the rift. We had goes and turns without changing anything.

But, If I am reading your posts correctly, he tried out the Rift a long time ago? He hasn't tested the Quest 2 and Rift side by side?

And you are not reading Unseul's post correctly, he isn't saying that your Rift had a problem, just that the fit of the Rift suited your friend's headshape better.

Associate
With that Silicone protector on the Quest 2 and its default facial interface FOV may look a little narrow, I got a cheap interface on Aliexpress with a 8mm velcro foam, I use it all the time, really does make a difference to FOV.

Ok when I got the interface it was actually cracked at the nose part, but still clicks into place on the Quest.

I have even heard my partner say, that she isn't that fussed on VR because the headset is too close to your face, but how are you going to experience VR otherwise.

Associate
I understand that there is a big update on the way V51 a jump from Android 10 to 12.
Also that it can hide specific folders within the Quest 2.
Anyone got the update as yet? I'm still on 50.

Soldato
I understand that there is a big update on the way V51 a jump from Android 10 to 12.
Also that it can hide specific folders within the Quest 2.
Anyone got the update as yet? I'm still on 50.

If you join the public test channel then i believe you get the updates a bit earlier. I joined and got v51 straight away.

Associate
No idea what that is

Ep-Ux-CHd-W8-Ac-Ka-Cx.jpg

Hope this helps

Soldato
I don't think any GPU can do that, though the 4090 can come close. Many games, especially flatscreen to VR games aren't well optimised too.

When channels like GN or HUB test GPUs, they get framerates over 60fps at 4k ultra on the top tier GPUs.

Your point about optimisation notwithstanding, is this not roughly equivalent to vr resolution?

It's quite frustrating that vr visuals are not equivalent to flat screen 4k, or even 1440p, quality and I don't understand why this is.

Take dcs as an example, if you've played it. It's looks fantastic in screenshots, but rather 90s flat textures when I play it on my system. The cockpit looks great to be fair, but the world outside looks so flat and plain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just out of interest, does anyone have a GPU powerful enough to run sims (driving, flight) on highest settings in vr?
depends on the game but my 3090 can manage some games on full bubble.

I play dirt rally 2 and ASsetto Corsa ***** on full bubble

***** AC some details cause crashes in VR (can't remember which and am 1000s of miles from my PC) so they are off. but it's as full bubble as I can go.

Last edited:
Soldato
When channels like GN or HUB test GPUs, they get framerates over 60fps at 4k ultra on the top tier GPUs.

Your point about optimisation notwithstanding, is this not roughly equivalent to vr resolution?
4k may not be far off resolution wise (if you go full resolution you have to render significantly higher than the res of the panel.

but you are still looking at 60fps which is too low for VR without ASW

Back
Top Bottom