*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
When channels like GN or HUB test GPUs, they get framerates over 60fps at 4k ultra on the top tier GPUs.

Your point about optimisation notwithstanding, is this not roughly equivalent to vr resolution?

It's quite frustrating that vr visuals are not equivalent to flat screen 4k, or even 1440p, quality and I don't understand why this is.

Take dcs as an example, if you've played it. It's looks fantastic in screenshots, but rather 90s flat textures when I play it on my system. The cockpit looks great to be fair, but the world outside looks so flat and plain.

A lot of the techniques which give 3D detail to 2D textures don't work in VR - parallax bump mapping for example, which is why VR textures of 2D games converted to VR often look flat compare to the flatscreen equivalents.

There are VR equivalents that can be used, or geometry can be used instead, but that hits performance.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm no longer a Quest 2 owner as I've just sold it via Ebay, mainly in preparation for buying the Quest 3 when it releases. I hope it's released this year!

Associate
yeh that's what i've read too. i'll buy the Q3 as soon as it's available it'll be a no brainer for me i won't wait for reviews i'll be F5'ing whatever site it's available to buy on, i bet it'll be a decent upgrade over the Q2 which is already a great vr headset imo.
thought i'd sell my Q2 now while used prices are holding up plus i haven't used it for a while.

Soldato
I'm holding onto my 2nd q2 for now, want to be sure that the q3 is worth the upgrade, almost certainly will be, but it'll be the little things that determine if it's a pre-order or a wait until there's a cheap 2nd hand headset available option.

Soldato
yeh that's what i've read too. i'll buy the Q3 as soon as it's available it'll be a no brainer for me i won't wait for reviews i'll be F5'ing whatever site it's available to buy on, i bet it'll be a decent upgrade over the Q2 which is already a great vr headset imo.
thought i'd sell my Q2 now while used prices are holding up plus i haven't used it for a while.

I'm planning on doing the same when the Quest 3 is out but happy to hang onto my Quest 2 until I have an order placed for the Quest 3. I'd rather have the Quest 2 headset for the next 6+ months even if it means I get ~£50-75 less when I come to sell it.

The Quest 2 headset will still be supported and still works well with PCs so I don't expect the drop in value to be that large anyway. Plus there are rumours the the Quest 3 will be a £500-600 headset so if that's the case it may not impact the pricing for second hand Quest 2 headsets anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm planning on doing the same when the Quest 3 is out but happy to hang onto my Quest 2 until I have an order placed for the Quest 3. I'd rather have the Quest 2 headset for the next 6+ months even if it means I get ~£50-75 less when I come to sell it.

Same, i've been using it on and off for some time now and it's still a nice addition to everyday life even if im not gaming on it.

Soldato
I've kept my Quest 2 even though I got a Quest Pro as it's good for local multiplayer. I've had three player Walkabout Minigolf games in my house.

Associate

The Quest 2 headset will still be supported and still works well with PCs so I don't expect the drop in value to be that large anyway. Plus there are rumours the the Quest 3 will be a £500-600 headset so if that's the case it may not impact the pricing for second hand Quest 2 headsets anyway.
If i'd been using my Q2 regularly i would have definitely hung onto it longer but as i hardly use it and the used prices will probably drop when Q3 comes out just like Q1 used prices dropped when Q2 came out i thought i'd get rid now.

Soldato
I have a 30% code so was considering pre-ordering Breachers which is it this week? Figured I can always refund it off the reviews/game is rubbish!

Anyone else considering buying it? Looks like the meta version of the PlayStation game firewall and that was my favourite vr FPS!

Edit : Actually I’ve just realised you can’t use the code for pre-orders so I’ll just wait until the reviews are out in a few days time!

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 30% code so was considering pre-ordering Breachers which is it this week? Figured I can always refund it off the reviews/game is rubbish!

Anyone else considering buying it? Looks like the meta version of the PlayStation game firewall and that was my favourite vr FPS!

Edit : Actually I’ve just realised you can’t use the code for pre-orders so I’ll just wait until the reviews are out in a few days time!

Played the Alpha (Or beta, can't remember which) and it was very promising.

Soldato
I'm no longer a Quest 2 owner as I've just sold it via Ebay, mainly in preparation for buying the Quest 3 when it releases. I hope it's released this year!
Just sold mine on eBay as well. Currently have no plans to get the 3 but will see what it has to offer.
I bought the 2 a year ago for PCVR and it’s been a love/hate relationship.
The premise and the results (when working) are superb however I just grew tired of always having to tweak it and fix things.
I have 2 little ones in the house so, now more than ever, I need something I can jump into and enjoy for 30-60mins. Unfortunately there were just too many inexplicable problems with the setup. Too many times I’d have it dialled in and (having changed nothing on the PC) the next time it just wouldn’t run as smooth. The last time it wouldn’t launch at all and just started throwing up error messages - possibly due to a windows update but it still shouldn’t need setup every time.
I haven’t seen the 3’s specs but if it happens to come with a proper video input (eg displayport) then I could be tempted.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought the 2 a year ago for PCVR and it’s been a love/hate relationship.
The premise and the results (when working) are superb however I just grew tired of always having to tweak it and fix things.

This was the reason I abandoned PC VR and bought PSVR2/PS5 as I can be sure thing will "just work" ! Though I do enjoy playing stand alone titles on the Quest 2 my attempts at connecting it to my PC more often than not met with nothing but frustration.

I would add that my PC is below the recommended spec for most VR titles so perhaps I'm not being entirely fair with my comparison!

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh apart from a few initial issues i found the Q2 very easy to get along with. can't wait for Q3.
I had some issues with VD (can't put that on meta), just switched to airlink. Overall though, my experience has been really smooth too. Not the best clarity graphics on pcvr, but I'm more one for gameplay anyway, and my graphics card is never going to give the best quality regardless.

Soldato
This was the reason I abandoned PC VR and bought PSVR2/PS5 as I can be sure thing will "just work" ! Though I do enjoy playing stand alone titles on the Quest 2 my attempts at connecting it to my PC more often than not met with nothing but frustration.

I would add that my PC is below the recommended spec for most VR titles so perhaps I'm not being entirely fair with my comparison!
Yes I'm seriously considering a switch to the PS5 myself - the first console I'd have owned since the PS2.
I've reached that stage in life where I just want things to work - as I eluded to above.
The other reason is, while I upgraded from a GTX 1080 to RTX 3070 last year when prices dropped which did give a decent boost in VR performance, my CPU and mobo are 8th gen (8600k) so are getting a little long in the tooth. And while I've had many happy years of PC building and upgrading I just can't be bothered any more. So once this one has served its time it'll be console for me!

Last edited:
Associate
I think the Quest 3 will probably come down on price some time after its released, (rather like the pro) so I will probably hold off until after Christmas before buying it.

I will keep the Quest 2 as a backup, I think just having one headset means that if anything goes wrong then if you have to send it away, you will be unable to experience VR for a while. What's a few hundred pounds anyway, if you have to for a month or so to get a replacement of the Quest 3 if it develops a fault.

The first Quest 2 got March 22, developed a few dead or stuck green pixels within a few weeks of the guarantee about to run out, Luckily a well known high st store swapped it over for me with a new one year warranty.

Soldato
I've started getting a warning message over the last week or so when using my Quest 2 saying "your space might be too dark and could cause loss of hand tracking". This is happening in daylight hours and in the evening when the light is on in the room. Has anyone else seen this/have any idea what I can do to remedy it? I thought maybe one of the cameras may be dirty but when using pass-through mode everything looks fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom