*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
have you tried new batteries. possibly try new non rechargables.

the hand controllers on the quest can track in pitch black (the headset can't) so if anything it is bright light which is your issue.

that makes no sense with your error message but try it if you do not believe me. the headset won't work but your hands will be ok in the dark

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. I've noticed the message mostly when I start watching something on Skybox VR. It usually pops up 2 or 3 times after I start watching a film but then they message tends to stop appearing a few minutes after I've put the controller down, though I have seen it just in the normal home area a few times. If I pick the controller back up again I start getting the messages again. The AA batteries are rechargeable and not flat but I've got some others I can try.

Other than that, you could start your headset and go into start up mode and see if there is anything you can select like resetting the controllers
How do you get into startup mode? Is that a power & volume buttons startup (like an Android phone)?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. I've noticed the message mostly when I start watching something on Skybox VR. It usually pops up 2 or 3 times after I start watching a film but then they message tends to stop appearing a few minutes after I've put the controller down, though I have seen it just in the normal home area a few times. If I pick the controller back up again I start getting the messages again. The AA batteries are rechargeable and not flat but I've got some others I can try.

I'd say make sure the camera covers/lenses are clean, and make sure the controller rings are clean too.

Underboss

How do you get into startup mode? Is that a power & volume buttons startup (like an Android phone)?

yeah, its something like that

i think its power on, then press power button in again and hold it until it pops up

Last edited:
Soldato
I gave the headset & controllers a clean today and swapped out the batteries. Sadly no difference. The message still popped up shortly after I started watching a film. I haven't managed to get in to 'startup mode' yet. I had a quick go as the Quest was booting but either I was too slow or it's something other than just holding the power button in after you've switched on. I haven't restarted it to try again yet.

Associate
Ok a question if anyone knows the answer, I have disabled the quest 2 firmware updater, v50 is working fine for me, and I believe the next update is a big one from android 10 to 12.

Now I as I understand it, if the quest firmware updater is disabled that remains so even when you reset the headset, so just wondering if quest firmware updater is still disabled at a reset, would that cause the reset not to complete fully and the Quest might get stuck on checking for software updates?

Thanks if anyone has an idea or knows the answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok a question if anyone knows the answer, I have disabled the quest 2 firmware updater, v50 is working fine for me, and I believe the next update is a big one from android 10 to 12.

Now I as I understand it, if the quest firmware updater is disabled that remains so even when you reset the headset, so just wondering if quest firmware updater is still disabled at a reset, would that cause the reset not to complete fully and the Quest might get stuck on checking for software updates?

Thanks if anyone has an idea or knows the answer.

Not that I'm going to try it out, but I think the updater setting would be reset to factory default, as the first thing the headset does after a reset is look for the latest firmware. Otherwise you'd be stuck on ancient firmware that was current when the headset was manufactured.

Associate
Having a bit of a weird issue with my Q2

Haven't had any issues before the latest update but now my Q2 won't connect too my pc through the link cable!! It can detect my pc as it brings up the box allowing file transfer and the oculus software on my pc detects that there is quest connected (and it charges) but when I try to connect through link section it won't show my pc. have tried everything including resetting it back factory settings and uninstalling re-installing the oculus software and even updating nvidia drivers but didn't improve.

Running windows 11 and I am wondering if an update has ruined something? There's been a number of them in the past few weeks

Soldato
Having a bit of a weird issue with my Q2

Haven't had any issues before the latest update but now my Q2 won't connect too my pc through the link cable!! It can detect my pc as it brings up the box allowing file transfer and the oculus software on my pc detects that there is quest connected (and it charges) but when I try to connect through link section it won't show my pc. have tried everything including resetting it back factory settings and uninstalling re-installing the oculus software and even updating nvidia drivers but didn't improve.

Running windows 11 and I am wondering if an update has ruined something? There's been a number of them in the past few weeks

Will it connect via AirLink or Virtual Desktop?

Associate
Are you able to successfully connect to sidequest with the cable. Do you have another cable to try?

Haven't tried side quest so will give it a go, also don't have another cable but I am thinking the official quest cable has got damaged somehow. Really don't want to fork out for another quest cable, any recommendation for a cheaper alternative?

Associate
Associate
Not that I'm going to try it out, but I think the updater setting would be reset to factory default, as the first thing the headset does after a reset is look for the latest firmware. Otherwise you'd be stuck on ancient firmware that was current when the headset was manufactured.
Thanks for that, probably best way for me to ask, does anyone remember if the Quest 2 does a check for firmware during Setup after a reset, Even though I have reset once I can't remember, did have a look at an youtube video and it seems it doesn't.

Soldato
I'm fairly certain mine checked for updates when I factory reset it over the weekend, but I have slept since then so may have imagined it :)

I gave the headset & controllers a clean today and swapped out the batteries. Sadly no difference. The message still popped up shortly after I started watching a film. I haven't managed to get in to 'startup mode' yet. I had a quick go as the Quest was booting but either I was too slow or it's something other than just holding the power button in after you've switched on. I haven't restarted it to try again yet.

Quoting myself. I've only done a quick test since the factory reset but it looks like it may have cleared up the hand tracking warning messages. Now all I need to know is how to correct the clock because it's now an hour behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that, probably best way for me to ask, does anyone remember if the Quest 2 does a check for firmware during Setup after a reset, Even though I have reset once I can't remember, did have a look at an youtube video and it seems it doesn't.

I've not tried to set up my Q2 without internet, but it may let you proceed after you've connected via bluetooth to your phone with mobile data off and put in your activation code. The headset then requires a wifi signal, not sure about what would happen if there was wifi without being connected to the internet. It may let you run the headset with the firmware it was shipped with until it's able to update.

Soldato
Quoting myself. I've only done a quick test since the factory reset but it looks like it may have cleared up the hand tracking warning messages. Now all I need to know is how to correct the clock because it's now an hour behind.
Quoting myself again (it's all about me! :p), the 'it may be too dark' message hasn't gone away though hand tracking has been perfectly fine every time I've tried it. I've been speaking to Meta support for the last week or two and they've just sent me an RMA confirmation so I guess I will be sans VR for a few weeks :(. As I've only had the device for about 8 months I'm also a bit miffed at Meta's suggestion that I may get a refurbished item as a replacement, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom