*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Did you by any chance buy it at a well known Hight St store, as they swapped my old quest (dead Pixels) a few weeks short of the 12 months running out for a new one, best time to try this I think is near closing time when they want to finish the shift.

Soldato
Hi all, how does the framerate work in Quest 2? Im trying to configure MSFS to get the best out of it. I set my framerate to 72 Hz, I get 36 in game. I set it to 80 Hz, I get 40 fps in game.

I know its something to do with reprojection, but I don't know how to get the best out of this?

Soldato
Hi all, how does the framerate work in Quest 2? Im trying to configure MSFS to get the best out of it. I set my framerate to 72 Hz, I get 36 in game. I set it to 80 Hz, I get 40 fps in game.

I know its something to do with reprojection, but I don't know how to get the best out of this?

This is because your hardware can't run the game at the headsets refresh rate. Not many PCs can, unless you get a 4090.

As juddery frame rates in VR can make you feel ill, the Quest uses a system which halves the framerate and generates interpolated frames to make it look and feel smooth. L

So it's normal to run the game at 80hz and get the game running at 40fps. In these cases it's best to set the refresh rate to the highest you can while maintaining half the frame rate, as 90hz will interpolate to 45fps and 120hz to 60.

Soldato
This is because your hardware can't run the game at the headsets refresh rate. Not many PCs can, unless you get a 4090.

As juddery frame rates in VR can make you feel ill, the Quest uses a system which halves the framerate and generates interpolated frames to make it look and feel smooth. L

So it's normal to run the game at 80hz and get the game running at 40fps. In these cases it's best to set the refresh rate to the highest you can while maintaining half the frame rate, as 90hz will interpolate to 45fps and 120hz to 60.

No i don't expect 72 FPS obviously. So this system can't be disabled at all, the headset does it on its own, so it's 36/72, 40/80 or 45/90 and nothing in-between?

It makes it hard to optimise game doesn't it, if no matter what I change I can't break half the FPS setting.

I'm also getting an issue with buildings popping into the near distance. For example I can be flying over an area quite low, looking at a row of houses for example, and then a new building pops in to the terrain right in my direct vision. I'm not using all the VRAM so not sure how to improve this?

Last edited:
Soldato
No i don't expect 72 FPS obviously. So this system can't be disabled at all, the headset does it on its own, so it's 36/72, 40/80 or 45/90 and nothing in-between?

It makes it hard to optimise game doesn't it, if no matter what I change I can't break half the FPS setting.

I'm also getting an issue with buildings popping into the near distance. For example I can be flying over an area quite low, looking at a row of houses for example, and then a new building pops in to the terrain right in my direct vision. I'm not using all the VRAM so not sure how to improve this?

All VR reprojection systems work in the same way. If you can't sustain the required framerate it will run at half the refresh rate and interpolate to prevent VR sickness.

I think you can turn the reprojection off in the Oculus debug tool. You can certainly turn off the native headset reprojection.

Flight Simulator is known for bringing even high end VR systems to their knees. If you can't sustain the refresh rate and don't want to reproject then you'll have to drop to the game settings, and/or drop the resolution quality as set in the Oculus Desktop App settings.

The slow loading of scenery may be due to streaming speed. Are you running off an SSD?

What CPU and GPU are you using? As far as I know only a 4090 has a chance of running this in VR without reprojection.

Soldato
I think I'm still not understanding reprojection.

I know I won't get 72 FPS, obviously.

So what I would expect is to get say 20 FPS on ultra, 30 on high, 40 on medium, 50 on low. Like you would with a monitor.

But I'm getting 36fps no matter what I set the quality to. So for this reason I can't tell what difference any of the settings are making. I can't dial in settings to get a smooth 25fps or whatever target I'm aiming for.

So I'm not trying or expecting to be able to run the game at 72fps, I just want it to run at whatever FPS my hardware can do smoothly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you by any chance buy it at a well known Hight St store, as they swapped my old quest (dead Pixels) a few weeks short of the 12 months running out for a new one, best time to try this I think is near closing time when they want to finish the shift.
I bought mine from John Lewis a few days before the prices went up as they were a) one of the few retailers who didn't immediately bump the price when Meta announced the jump in cost from August last year and b) had some immediately available stock*. DHL are coming to collect mine tomorrow and send it back to Meta, and then I have to wait for them to send me a new/refurbished headset (hopefully the former).

*Not that it mattered much because I didn't activate it until well into August so I could benefit from the free Beat Saber game and not need a Facebook account :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'm still not understanding reprojection.

I know I won't get 72 FPS, obviously.

So what I would expect is to get say 20 FPS on ultra, 30 on high, 40 on medium, 50 on low. Like you would with a monitor.

But I'm getting 36fps no matter what I set the quality to. So for this reason I can't tell what difference any of the settings are making. I can't dial in settings to get a smooth 25fps or whatever target I'm aiming for.

So I'm not trying or expecting to be able to run the game at 72fps, I just want it to run at whatever FPS my hardware can do smoothly.

If your framerate drops below the half-refresh rate then you will see slowdown and judder. So you can see then that you're not even achieving the minimum playable rate. The trick is to find the highest refresh rate you can run at without experiencing judder or frame drops. It's very similar to running on a fixed refresh rate on PC, where if you can't make 60fps it drops to 30.

Soldato
30fps should be good enough for a flight sim as long as it's smooth? Or does that not work for vr?

Have you played it @Ravenger ? There are so many settings in 3rd party tools I'm a bit lost where to go first.

Oculus debug tool.
Oculus tray tool (encode resolution, bitrate)
Open xr toolkit (various things that not sure what they all do)
Settings in oculus airlink software
DLSS on or off and at what setting
Quality settings in msfs itself

I want the game to look as beautiful as possible for the framerate which looks smooth.

Last edited:
Soldato
30fps should be good enough for a flight sim as long as it's smooth? Or does that not work for vr?

Have you played it @Ravenger ? There are so many settings in 3rd party tools I'm a bit lost where to go first.

Oculus debug tool.
Oculus tray tool (encode resolution, bitrate)
Open xr toolkit (various things that not sure what they all do)
Settings in oculus airlink software
DLSS on or off and at what setting
Quality settings in msfs itself

I want the game to look as beautiful as possible for the framerate which looks smooth.
72 is about as low as you want to go in vr, it'll cause nausea below that. As you can't hit 72, it's doing it at 36 and doubling.

If you can hit 45, then you could aim for 90.

Soldato
My refurbished Quest 2 headset arrived today. I can't fault the speed as my old headset was only picked up on Tuesday. That said, after setting the 'new' one up there are two light coloured dots right in the middle of my field of view which look like two tiny robot eyes staring back at me and is very distracting. I've already cleaned the lenses and rebooted the headset after seeing mention of stuck pixels.

Soldato
Following a chat with support I've also now completed yet another factory reset, to no avail. Add to that, almost as soon as I turned hand tracking on I started getting the 'Your space might be too dark and could cause loss of hand tracking' message again, which rather suggests that it's a software issue and returning my headset for an even worse refurbished replacement was rather a waste of time :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
Following a chat with support I've also now completed yet another factory reset, to no avail. Add to that, almost as soon as I turned hand tracking on I started getting the 'Your space might be too dark and could cause loss of hand tracking' message again, which rather suggests that it's a software issue and returning my headset for an even worse refurbished replacement was rather a waste of time :(.

Unlucky dude :( It sucks when a replacement is worse than what you returned. I would return this one too. Stuck pixels are a no no. Means more waiting, but don't settle until you get a fully functioning one.

Soldato
I have initiated another ticket with Meta support, who have been useless this time round and can't even read what's in their chat logs. I've just seen another reply as I type this checking that my details haven't changed in the last 3 days ... so it looks like I may be getting another RMA soon.

Soldato
2nd refurb arrived today. Hopefully this one's better than the last. Watched a film on it earlier and didn't spot any obvious dead pixels this time so that's good, and did enable hand tracking again and haven't seen the 'it's could be too dark' message yet. Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong :)

Soldato
I spoke too soon:

So that's now three devices with the same problem. Anyone else think it's not a hardware fault at all (which I've suggested to Meta multiple times now)? The only thing I can think of is that the backup of my profile it keeps restoring has a corruption in it somewhere as nobody else seems to be reporting this.

I'm also not convinced there isn't something wrong with the lenses as I'm seeing a blurriness/halo effect that's quite noticeable around text. I was watching The Empire Strikes Back earlier and it's very noticeable on the intro and credits. I'm not seeing it when playing games so it could be they're all like this and I just hadn't noticed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I spoke too soon:

So that's now three devices with the same problem. Anyone else think it's not a hardware fault at all (which I've suggested to Meta multiple times now)? The only thing I can think of is that the backup of my profile it keeps restoring has a corruption in it somewhere as nobody else seems to be reporting this.

I'm also not convinced there isn't something wrong with the lenses as I'm seeing a blurriness/halo effect that's quite noticeable around text. I was watching The Empire Strikes Back earlier and it's very noticeable on the intro and credits. I'm not seeing it when playing games so it could be they're all like this and I just hadn't noticed.
Could you create a quick and dirty temp meta account to confirm that a profile may be corrupt or do you know someone with a meta account that you could log on with?

Back
Top Bottom