*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Mine has just turned up, surprising as I only ordered it yesterday! Bought the pc link cable too.

Be interesting to compare it to the original rift that I use in my sim rig.

Soldato
If you're sweating then try a bandana or thin sweat band. I use a thin spandex runner's cap when exercising in VR and that keeps sweat off the headset. I also have different facial covers. I'm waiting for VR cover to offer their Quest 2 version for sale, as I really need that too.

Soldato
I assume the black circles at the very far left and right of your peripheral vision is perfectly normal?

It was the same on the PSVR. Assume it's just the limitations of the current technology.

You soon forget after a while.

The reviews were all saying that the onboard audio was crap, but I think it's pretty good. Have to say, all in all, for £300 this is absolutely brilliant.

Soldato
I was flying the blimb then trying to shoot rockets at it, the rockets were coming back, so I batted them away :D.

I could quite happily mess about playing the free stuff for a while before buying any games.

Wasn't very good with the bat and ball lol although I did spend a worryingly long amount of time punching the hovering ball thingy.

Soldato
I assume the black circles at the very far left and right of your peripheral vision is perfectly normal?

It was the same on the PSVR. Assume it's just the limitations of the current technology.

You soon forget after a while.

The reviews were all saying that the onboard audio was crap, but I think it's pretty good. Have to say, all in all, for £300 this is absolutely brilliant.

I'm no audiophile, but I'm absolutely in no rush for a better solution now. It's loud, it's clear. Perhaps with something like Beatsabre I'll start worrying.

I could quite happily mess about playing the free stuff for a while before buying any games.

Wasn't very good with the bat and ball lol although I did spend a worryingly long amount of time punching the hovering ball thingy.

Superhot was on a big sale (maybe on rift and crossbuy?), so I grabbed it, otherwise I'm enjoying the free stuff too. Managed to bounce the ball up a fair few times. Punched the hanging ball, but then did a big uppercut and smacked the light, so stopped playing with that as much :D. Had great fun shooting rockets off, and watching them flying around and trying to throw cubes at them as they came back.

Soldato
I played it a bit more during lunch, and had a quick go on a few games. It's definitely a step up from the Quest 1 in most ways. Probably the only two annoyances are the IPD setting which works ok, but could have done with a couple of more 'notches', and the FOV which seems a bit less than Quest (though I'm not sure if my prescription inserts might affect this).

I think the reviews saying the audio wasn't better are wrong - it's noticably better, louder with more bass. Not nearly as good as the Index or a set of good headphones, but perfectly acceptable, especially given the convenience of not having to fiddle with headphones.

The black levels are on a par with my Index, which again is acceptable.

Tonight I'll try sideloading Virtual Desktop, and compare it with Oculus Link, and also get some sideloaded games on there - HL1, Castle Wolfenstein, etc.

Soldato
The black levels are on a par with my Index, which again is acceptable.

Its not noticeable in games but I did notice the greyness in the skybox cinema and moon environments trying out a film. Will soon get used to it hopefully.

Gonna need a strap I think...red marks on face. Just whether to hang on for third party solutions.

Associate
Great, thanks. Got a Wifi 6 router on its way, so I will give both a go eventually. What's the difference between the VD app in Steam and the one in the Oculus store? Presumably, the only one I'll need is in the Oculus store?

Associate
To be specific you need the one in the Quest section of the Oculus store.
You'll also need to setup side loading by creating a developer account and installing Sidequest.

https://uploadvr.com/sideloading-quest-how-to/

What will I need sideloading for? Can I not just run games from my PC in Steam, and have that run in my headset? I mean, I'm interested in looking at other applications and tools so will probably look at sideloading in future, I just didn't realise I needed it, if I wasn't actually going to copy any software across to the Quest from the PC.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I can now join this merry band of Quest 2 owners. I'm back at work now but I've had enough time to set it up and buy Virtual Desktop and install Sidequest.

Back
Top Bottom