OCZ VERTEX 2E FIRMWARE 1.28 + GUIDE

Soldato
Can you not just use the OCZ tool?

EDIT:

I say this naively; I'm going to attempt to use it for the first time tonight to resolve an issue with the drive sometimes not being picked up AT ALL on my laptops sata ports (the port is fine, it picks up my other HDD's no problem).

Last edited:
Soldato
bunyan i got it to work

i have got as far as secure erasing my ssd.

now when i go to update the firmware my ssd doesnt show up where i mount my usb....any ideas?

also can i update my fw at a later date even when w7 is
installed on it?

Soldato
kona786

Have you tried "hot plugging" your SSD for a few seconds (count to 10)? This can sometimes cause your drive to appear. Same trick as if the drive is in a frozen / locked state.

PS. Once Windows installed... Yes you can use Partic Magic method to update the firmware. Or the toolbox with your primary drive attached as a secondary.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

As I said in my PS. (though I added that later so you might have missed it). yes you should be OK to try and update the firmware on your SSD using either of the avalable ways. Though rather like life, nothing is guaranteed.

Though if things OK at the moment. I would be tempted to wait a couple of weeks and see if the much talked about "latest" firmware release puts in an appearence. Though as DragonQ has already said... just don't hold your breath!

Good luck.

Associate
OP
bunyan i got it to work

i have got as far as secure erasing my ssd.

now when i go to update the firmware my ssd doesnt show up where i mount my usb....any ideas?

also can i update my fw at a later date even when w7 is
installed on it?

Strange issue as that would appear to be a problem with a connection, IDE or AHCI is should appear in there.

Try a different sata port and post back mate, i will try and help you as much as i can.

Soldato
The firmware won't detect my SSD :S

How do I find out what firmware it is on?

the SSD intermittently won't detect when I switch to ACHI, atm it's the only drive in my laptop and is running as 'RAID'

If i try switching to 'ACHI' after installing W7, am I setting myself upto problems?

Associate
OP
The firmware won't detect my SSD :S

How do I find out what firmware it is on?

the SSD intermittently won't detect when I switch to ACHI, atm it's the only drive in my laptop and is running as 'RAID'

If i try switching to 'ACHI' after installing W7, am I setting myself upto problems?

When you go to next re-install Windows, set to AHCI in BIOS firstly, then install windows over the top after doing a secure erase, (the secure erase will bring it back to optimum speeds).

Soldato
Use something like Crystal Disk Info (there are also a number of other utilities that can supply this as well) to display the firmware ID.

"If i try switching to 'ACHI' after installing W7, am I setting myself upto problems? "

In a nut shell... yes.
You will need to do a registry "fix" (GOOGLE is your friend here) if moving from IDE to AHCI after installing W7. Though interesting to see that you mention "raid" with only a single drive! Is that something you set when installing Windows?

PS. To save you a GOOGLE... http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

Last edited:
Soldato
indeed it helped me again as the new firmware 1.32 has just been released...

Issues resolved since version 1.29

 Improved read disturb handling at the end of life of the NAND flash
 Corrected the SMART attribute range floor to be set to 1 for all attributes
 Reduced the time required to wake up from sleep & standby
 Fixed an issue that required the first non-data command after reset to be IDENTIFY
 Increased the number of bad blocks that can be handled, thus improving NAND flash end of life
behavior
 Fixed ClearSMART behavior to match the description in the SRM
 Added Enhanced Security Erase methods supporting military erase protocols
 Fixed a rare condition that could cause the drive to reset and clear the data
 Fixed a condition in which a drive could hang if repeatedly rebooted without sufficient time to
recover between cycles
 Updated flash configuration settings for Intel/Micron 25nm flash support
 Improved the SATA behavior with respect to the CONT signal in order to work around limitations
with some hosts
 Reduced the drive boot time when it was shutdown using the STANDBY IMMEDIATE command
 Improved FW efficiency for performance improvements of up to 5%
 Fixed SMART Attribute 194 to correctly display negative numbers in the normalized data field

Soldato
Think I'll wait a while and see if there are any reported problems with the new firmware. Even then, I'll probably wait for my re-build later in the year. If it aint broke, then don't try and fix it, is my mantra. Though hopefully it might sort some folks issues out.

Back
Top Bottom