• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I have manage to narrow it down to 4 motherboards for my ryzen 5 build
Which one would you go for:
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £903.56
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Crosshair 6 hero. They are miles ahead at the moment.
However if you are in no real rush the others should catch up pretty soon.

Soldato

Unless you plan on going SLI, or trying to squeeze the last drop of performance from a non-mature platform, none of those. I'd buy a B350 board for £100ish, wait for all of the microcode changes, and BIOS updates to settle in and then change it, by which point those board will probably be £100 less anyhow. :)

Soldato
It's months since release now, and it's all still a bit dodgy.

Well, unless you run stock. But who does that?

There just always seems to be something. You think you got it running well, then you find some new issue.

Or, you'd probably be fine if you oced and only stability tested with a few runs of cinebench... I have seen some do that.

I have never struggled with a system as much as this in my life. With each new bios there's this tease of things moving forward - and then it falls flat somewhere.

Soldato
It's months since release now, and it's all still a bit dodgy.

Well, unless you run stock. But who does that?

There just always seems to be something. You think you got it running well, then you find some new issue.

Or, you'd probably be fine if you oced and only stability tested with a few runs of cinebench... I have seen some do that.

I have never struggled with a system as much as this in my life. With each new bios there's this tease of things moving forward - and then it falls flat somewhere.

This was my argument over at ocn which wasn't very well recieved :p
We can all post 4.0 overclocks run one test and post on the internet. Hell I've had mine pass IBT avx max at 3.9 only for it to fail the next day.
I'm confident mine is stable now, I've not had any crashes for some time and the ones I have had was caused through me trying to increase my ram speed. But that is solid now at 3466 cl16.
I don't think I've ever spent so much time in a bios.
I regurgitate my point I bought up before- silicon lottery and even ocuk are selling these at 3.9 because they pass 1 hour of realbench.
It's only when you start using them day to day you begin to find these chips falling over for simple things like alt tabbing a game. I went to 1.5v with my first 1700 and that wasn't completely stable for 24/7 use.

Soldato
Mine runs at 3.7 using a maximum of 1.2v and is completely stable with no crashes. I accidently booted it at 4.0 but would not run it at that speed as I don't want to use high voltages and temps.

I would guess much beyond that is a lottery on temps, voltage and stability.

Associate

Unless you plan on going SLI, or trying to squeeze the last drop of performance from a non-mature platform, none of those. I'd buy a B350 board for £100ish, wait for all of the microcode changes, and BIOS updates to settle in and then change it, by which point those board will probably be £100 less anyhow. :)

I went with those 4 because i like the look of them and what they can offer. I have a case with window standing on my desk so every time i look I would see some ugly board.
Hopefully on Friday i would order everything for the build, CH6 is my 1st choice atm.

Soldato

Of those four I personally would go with the K7, no offence meant to Asrock but Gigabyte and ASUS are by far the best for BIOS/updates ATM, however with the C6H you're essentially paying an extra £30 for the ASUS name which on an AMD board isn't actually any better than the Gigabyte name, plus the C6H has less features than the K7. If you're mostly concerned with looking at it through your case window however then just get the one you like the look of as they are all good boards and if you don't need the additional features of the K7 or the BIOS support of GB/ASUS then there isn't really much in it.

Permabanned
So looking at Situation Me and Matt got most stable best running Ryzens around :p.
So far rendered 4 hour video played Wow Ran benchmarks ect on new beta bios and Not a single problem !!
**** now i can OC using Pstates in bios cause it works with lower BCLK :D before had 2 use Zenstates with 118.4 bclk :D

But hey we dont mess about. You want volts You get volts. I remember Matt running 1.5 on ddr's to have stable 4125 on cpu :D

Last edited:
Soldato
So looking at Situation Me and Matt got most stable best running Ryzens around :p.
So far rendered 4 hour video played Wow Ran benchmarks ect on new beta bios and Not a single problem !!
**** now i can OC using Pstates in bios cause it works with lower BCLK :D before had 2 use Zenstates with 118.4 bclk :D

But hey we dont mess about. You want volts You get volts. I remember Matt running 1.5 on ddr's to have stable 4125 on cpu :D

Quite happy I have the CPU and ddr4 both sat at 1.35v cool n quiet as AMD used to call it :p

Soldato
Think my black screen (and all issues) are still around ram.

Yeah, I can boot windows, do a bunch of stuff, stress cpu, but try running something like HCI memtest and it's black screens and reboots.

And I'm getting sick of trying to find what settings will ******* work!

Now with all the added ******** of finding the right 'ProcODT', setting, combined with the correct x, y and Z settings.

Soldato
Think my black screen (and all issues) are still around ram.

Yeah, I can boot windows, do a bunch of stuff, stress cpu, but try running something like HCI memtest and it's black screens and reboots.

And I'm getting sick of trying to find what settings will ******* work!

Now with all the added ******** of finding the right 'ProcODT', setting, combined with the correct x, y and Z settings.

It does take an absolute age to get it right. This new voltage option will only help if it does not boot (as far as I'm aware) whereas procodt can help with stability. I suggest trying different procodt values and loosening timings if that doesn't work. And finally going down one notch on the memory speed if that above doesn't work.

Soldato
My system is really confusing me at the moment

Crosshair 6 with a 1700, 3200mhz ram and watercooled.

At first I run a constant 3.9ghz at 1.35volts with peak teams of about 40-45 depending on ambient.

I then managed to get P-state overclocking working so it wouldn't be running at top speed all the time. However I kept getting the Q code of 40 while in windows which would stop fan xpert working.

A few days later and now p state overclocking doesn't seem to want to work, so went back to normal overclocking and now I'm running in the 60s when under full load. Seems strange?

Soldato
Went back to stock to test ram and still get the black screen running memtest :/
What program? Did you try adjusting procodt values?

My system is really confusing me at the moment

Crosshair 6 with a 1700, 3200mhz ram and watercooled.

At first I run a constant 3.9ghz at 1.35volts with peak teams of about 40-45 depending on ambient.

I then managed to get P-state overclocking working so it wouldn't be running at top speed all the time. However I kept getting the Q code of 40 while in windows which would stop fan xpert working.

A few days later and now p state overclocking doesn't seem to want to work, so went back to normal overclocking and now I'm running in the 60s when under full load. Seems strange?

Codes 24 and 40 are normal for me. I get either depending on the CPUs mood it seems. Neither of these affect my fans though I did uninstall all the Asus software as it's far too buggy.
As for temps I found disabling the sensemi skew for the 1700 bought my temps to where they should be. 66c with 1.35v Corsair h100i on quiet mode.

Soldato
What program? Did you try adjusting procodt values?

HCI memtest64 pro.

Just makes me realise that those black screens I was getting in occt were likely ram related, not cpu oc related.

Think it may be something to do with these new bios.

Just one thing after another. Before long, I have to stop ******* about with this bs. Will be jobless from Friday, so my time before long on the computer will be getting my head back in game for certain programming.

Want this ******* system stable now.

Back
Top Bottom