******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Its more MMO than DayZ, although i think there are some comparisons between DayZ & SC (bandits = pirates, zombies = NPC) the server you'd be playing in would be controlled by CIG, whereas DayZ someone is renting that server and connecting to a master which says where you are, what you own etc. So in DayZ there isnt any official servers (not to my knowledge anyway, its been a couple of months since ive bothered) and its upto the owner who paid for it what goes on in there.
In SC its more like battlefield, where you have ranked (official SC server) and unranked (any private server you set up) but anything happening in an unofficial server has zero impact or relevance, its been allowed so that they can support open modding in the community, and anything they deem to be of a high enough quality and suitably balanced to be fitting in their universe, they'll release into the universe too.

With this model you have described, do you not feel that the player base might be too spread out to make the official servers enjoyable?

Dave and his school mates, might just rent there own server, hack in all the best ships and gear and just play silly buggers. While no impact on the official server, it takes away players from the official world?

I can understand their decision, but i can't help feel they should have just left Single Player + Multiplayer dog fight modes separate from the MMO, so the private servers don't eat into the official MMO servers player base.

But who knows, I'm sure we'll see soon enough.

With this model you have described, do you not feel that the player base might be too spread out to make the official servers enjoyable?

Dave and his school mates, might just rent there own server, hack in all the best ships and gear and just play silly buggers. While no impact on the official server, it takes away players from the official world?

I can understand their decision, but i can't help feel they should have just left Single Player + Multiplayer dog fight modes separate from the MMO, so the private servers don't eat into the official MMO servers player base.

Well, we'll always be in the minority to NPCs anyway, you're more likely to encounter an NPC going about his business, whatever that might be, than you are another person. So if they're expecting say 1,000 people online at any given time, then there will be 10,000 NPCs, whether theres 1 person or 1,000 people online, is how i'd imagine it'd be (i dont expect 10 people to log in and the game add 100 NPCs to balance that).

The unofficial servers might be good fun, but i dont think a significant proportion of people would spend the majority of their SC time in them, they'd have to be suitably awesome, like if people made Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica mods and people wanted to go play in those for a bit. But they'll be smaller universes, simply to support modding for people who want these things, without it unbalancing their universe.

The other thing, which kinda plays into what you're saying, is that there will be a PVP slider. I dont fully understand how it can work, but the idea behind it is if you'd rather play in the PU like its more of a single player/co-op game, then if you cross paths with another player they'll appear as an NPC ship. Exactly how this works, i dont know, cos what does the other person see? Nothing, an NPC too, even if they wanted PVP? So im not entirely sure how it'd work tbh.

The other thing you'd miss is the storytelling. The game should see regular micro-updates, so week by week things would change slightly, you could see news reports of Alien races coming into UEE controlled space, next week diplomatic attempts to calm things fail, and both sides start moving in preparation for combat, which leaves previously strong UEE guarded zones being thin on patrols and pirates causing trouble in previously safe space.
They've said they want to be dungeon masters, interacting with what the players do, and responding to stuff, weaving a storyline into the world, rather than it being static and completely player dominated.
IMO that constantly evolving universe will be a lot more interesting than a server which has been modified to allow extremes, and general tomfoolery. Im sure a decent cut of the community will try private servers, but for a lark, rather than spending serious time in there.

well it was described that 70% of the ships you see and interact with will be NPC
so player base spreading out wouldn't matter too much, also people will need to congregate around trade hubs, so you'll see people.
Also all the new content will come to the official servers first, and will be bigger than the private ones.
I.e they might be limited system size/NPC population

I doubt they want to alienate the player base, ultimately they're likely to look at mods made for player servers and see if they could use them on the main PU server. I don't see CIG as being inward facing when it comes to cool things they can use.

They have said instances will be up to 100, but more if it's technically possible to do so the bottom line is they don't know how many can be supported yet.

My first thoughts of multiplayer tonight were.

damn it my joystick isn't working.

Then I had a play with keyboard and mouse, which annoyingly I'd never really used. However this poor sod has the dubious honour of being my first ever PC kill in AR and he'd done most of the work by ramming someone else:

AEiNKmd.jpg

Annoyingly I couldn't get a missile to fire in keyboard/mouse, no idea why as it would work fine in single player. I've since got my joystick working and can fire missiles fine now.

So far it's..

A bit laggy
A bit hit or miss whether you get into a game when hitting join. It may just punt you back to the hangar.
I've been invisible in one game so far, or lagging so much nobody could hit me and I couldn't hit them - although I could fly about and collide with other ships!

Over all it's surprisingly good fun, there is an option for private matches but it's currently greyed out, hoping for some OCUK fun in the future though :) See if we can all EVA and stand on one ship etc!

My first thoughts of multiplayer tonight were.

damn it my joystick isn't working.

Then I had a play with keyboard and mouse, which annoyingly I'd never really used. However this poor sod has the dubious honour of being my first ever PC kill in AR and he'd done most of the work by ramming someone else:

AEiNKmd.jpg

Annoyingly I couldn't get a missile to fire in keyboard/mouse, no idea why as it would work fine in single player. I've since got my joystick working and can fire missiles fine now.

So far it's..

A bit laggy
A bit hit or miss whether you get into a game when hitting join. It may just punt you back to the hangar.
I've been invisible in one game so far, or lagging so much nobody could hit me and I couldn't hit them - although I could fly about and collide with other ships!

Over all it's surprisingly good fun, there is an option for private matches but it's currently greyed out, hoping for some OCUK fun in the future though :) See if we can all EVA and stand on one ship etc!

Sounds like it taking shape then :) I'm #38573 so shouldn't be too much longer to have multiplayer access.

P.S. I've just sent my application to the org through.

SQ 42 now allegedly due for release Mid 2015, now if that means "released" or "episodes being released in groups of 10" as previously planned I've no idea.

2:50 into this:

X52 is old tech mate, I'd get the X55 although personally I'm happy using a cheap T.16000M and I'll pair it with an N52TE. For immersion obviously a proper HOTAS is best though :)

I had an X52 for 6 years btw, I'm not just saying this from googling it ;)

So I got an email invite to some MP beta, however, I have not backed the game only registered for it some 2years ago.

My question is, do I need to buy a package of some sort to get into the test?

My question is, do I need to buy a package of some sort to get into the test?

See the "Where do I start?" Section of the OP ;)

$45 in total to get in, at the moment you'll get Arena commander and access to the hangar with your Aurora and the Arena commander drone sim where you can fight against AI opponents or do some free flight. The multi-player part is still being tested and rolled out based on your citizen number i.e. first come first served. As you registered early you'll have a nice low citizenship number which is good!

Ah so a £30 one is just as good (ignoring the extra features etc)?

X55 or Thrustmaster Warthog are the best at the moment. But I'm finding my Thrustmaster T.16000M to be excellent, honestly accuracy wise it's just far better than the X52 I had for years. Apparently it's the sensors that it uses, they're the same type that the very expensive sticks use i.e. the Thrustmaster Warthog.

If you want to go down the X52 route get the pro version it is worth the extra money.

I think if you're buying a new HOTAS, the X55 makes more sense than the X52/pro for the extra cost, but if you're looking at 2nd hand then you can pick them up much cheaper, which you obviously wont for the X55 as its only a handful of weeks old.

tbh spending over £100 on a Joystick wasn't really what I wanted to do but all reviews say how good they are.

I just want an accurate joystick as i'll probably still use the keyboard anyway with my left hand.

Added bonus is that I could use it with War Thunder too but spending £35 on the Thrustmaster T.16000M seems like the best path for me tbh

Citizen #9000-odd here, so I just got my email to join Multiplayer...

For the first 20 minutes, I kept joining in games, before it crashed back to the cockpit/AC menu. When I finally got in, none of my target-select keys worked and I just got blown up. However, my KDR remains 0:0, as it again kept crashing before my Death Scene could even complete!

Ah so a £30 one is just as good (ignoring the extra features etc)?
I'm using a Cyborg FLY5. It has enough buttons that I can do OK with it (need to remap the stick config buttons to match the SC controls), but a high-end stick like the X55 is noticably better when it comes to the small corrections the SC flight dynamic requires.

ttaskmaster that sounds like my initial experience last night mate, especially with targetting, it's reassuring that someone else had the same issue. I did keep trying and eventually had two nice runs, I'm not someone fussed about KD ratios, I'm too old for that lark now lol

Wouldn't surprise me if you could make use of this T16000M config, seeing as it's all just axis/buttons etc.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...aster_t16000m_keybind_files_in_here/?sort=hot

Back
Top Bottom