******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Yeah I'm wise to them now Chris lol. I would argue that last time the sale was limited in terms of it being the only time you could get one of these with LTI out of the box, there's nothing to say they wont' allow a cross-chassis upgrade route from LTI Auroras to them in the future though.. ;)

So - I have never played any space sim games before, other than dabbling briefly with Elite back on the Amiga, and a tiny bit of Tachyon: The Fringe.

Is this any good? I am getting bored of the standard titles being released at the minute and fancy something new. But I dont really know what.

I have to say this game looks beautiful, but I am not sure I want to drop cash on something that is not going to be released for ages. Also - is there tutorials built into the game? Or is it a case of having to grind through the manuals and watch youtube videos? Do I realistically need a joystick?

One thing I do like, is they dont try and rip off the non-US markets by keeping their prices the same whatever the currency is (Unlike the PS2 rip off merchants).

Come back in 18 months and we'll tell you if it's any good. It's still very much in development Buffet :)

Joystick, probably not compulsory. One of the main benefits to not having it IMO is seamless control switching from ship combat to boarding party FPS. I'll still use a joystick though as it's far more fun!

Elite Dangerous is much further along in the development cycle and has a pretty complete game. Star Citizen frankly is probably 1/20th of the way through!

Come back in 18 months and we'll tell you if it's any good. It's still very much in development Buffet :)

Joystick, probably not compulsory. One of the main benefits to not having it IMO is seamless control switching from ship combat to boarding party FPS. I'll still use a joystick though as it's far more fun!

Elite Dangerous is much further along in the development cycle and has a pretty complete game. Star Citizen frankly is probably 1/20th of the way through!

Is it 1/20th of ground breaking awesome though? I don't mind investing time and effort into awesome.

But alpha stage mediocrity is not my bag.

Firstly, if you DARE melt that Super Hornet, i'll hunt you down! :D If you want the credits to buy something else plenty would buy it off you, myself included.

Secondly, it's definitely got turrets, thats what is firing the red laser shots, but people seem to be viewing it as a 'glass cannon', where its very nimble and dangerous, but limited armor beyond its shield, so a coulpe of hits could be fatal, where others hold strong, the challenge is being able to hit it as its very agile.

I often think about melting the Hornet, but doubt if I will as it's in my physical package :)

It does look like a turrent, the original specs only had class 1 and 2 so maybe they have added it or they may just be gimballed.

Maybe it's my 350R that's going. I originally bought it as a fast explorer and courier ship but now it may not have any cargo I may as well get the exotic Xi'an ship (and lose the bed).

Last edited:
I often think about melting the Hornet, but doubt if I will as it's in my physical package :)

They do look like turrets but the original specs only had class 1 and 2 so either it's changed or they may just be gimballed.

Maybe it's my 350R that's going. I originally bought it as a fast explorer and courier ship but now it may not have any cargo I may as well get the exotic Xi'an ship (and lose the bed).

The Scout will be back on sale again before PU and it is likely to have a bed, we've not seen the internals but you can't have a scout ship without somewhere to sleep, that's been the case with all exploration based ships so far and the scout is as listed as scout/exploration so I'd be shocked if it didn't have some place for crew to kip. The ship is rather large tbh.

Is it 1/20th of ground breaking awesome though? I don't mind investing time and effort into awesome.

Perhaps it's just me but the alpha is by far the most polished I've seen and it is drop dead gorgeous :D

The Scout will be back on sale again before PU and it is likely to have a bed, we've not seen the internals but you can't have a scout ship without somewhere to sleep, that's been the case with all exploration based ships so far and the scout is as listed as scout/exploration so I'd be shocked if it didn't have some place for crew to kip. The ship is rather large tbh.

I hope that is true however the Hornet tracker is also a scout and is listed for use in deep-space exploration and it doesn't have a bed, though it is only an upgrade part to the base ship.

The size of the ship could be in part due to the articulating fins / engines.

Hopefully more will be revealed when it goes on sale :)

Last edited:
This is still pre-Alpha. It's not even actual Alpha yet!

Based on that, I'd say it's going to be very impressive... But whether or not it lives up to all the hype and delivers everything, fully-functional and on time, remains to be seen...

So take away the game and developers for a moment.

Is this method of funding game development the possible future for us?

Or will this game & developer be a one off fluke like WoW for MMO's was?

Likely a one off IMO, the only reason they've gained so much backing is Chris Roberts. Richard Garriot may have been able to pull this off before Tabula Rasa but unless he announced Ultima Online 2 he's got no chance and seeing as he sold the rights to that to EA..

I can't see anyone else being able to emulate it. What games are in need of a spiritual successor where the person behind it is still alive and actually interested in doing it?

Hmm... with the issuance of my Multiplayer invite, RSI seem to have sent me a free Hornet too. I logged in to suddenly find a flyable one slapped in the middle of my humble hangar...

Now if only OCUK would send free spacecraft with my orders instead of Haribo - I can't even find anyone who likes Tangfastics!! :D

I sold my hornet but still have one thanks to my other pledges, I walk right past it to the 300i every time :P

Yeah the 300i is nice which is why I'm having a very hard time melting my 350R :)

I will say this for the Hornet though, it's still good even with the current standard load out having half the number of weapons and it can take a real beating. I managed to survive flying around in just the cockpit area the other day :D

I sold my hornet but still have one thanks to my other pledges, I walk right past it to the 300i every time :P

I'm sure this one is just on loan for the DFM and they'll take it off me later.
It's in nice 'Military Grey' colours, though... which is very different from the 'Ocean Grey' of the 300i, of course!!

Back
Top Bottom