******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
People seem to be loosing their minds over the night sky changes to the moons (which have atmospheres). However I cannot see much if any difference with what they showed?

z4AIMED.jpg

This image is taken of a 4k IPS monitor at work so the colour images are set correctly.

Caporegime
People seem to be loosing their minds over the night sky changes to the moons (which have atmospheres). However I cannot see much if any difference with what they showed?

z4AIMED.jpg

This image is taken of a 4k IPS monitor at work so the colour images are set correctly.

I can see the difference, contrast too high?

Its right what they are saying, an area with no light entities is normally black, as there is no light being rendered, it is literally black, the way you normally 'ambiently illuminate' and area with no light is to use light-probes, or otherwise known as cube-maps, a cube-map is a 2D image of the selected area that you and the engine can colourise and brightness adjust which is then laid over the unilluminated textures to give an ambiently illuminated appearance, like night time out of town where all you have is ambient light.

You can't wrap a cube-map around half a planet, so they had to come up with another way, adding a slight glow to the atmosphere is how dark is illuminated in real life so that solution is perfect.

Soldato
I can see the difference, contrast too high?

Its right what they are saying, an area with no light entities is normally black, as there is no light being rendered, it is literally black, the way you normally 'ambiently illuminate' and area with no light is to use light probes, or otherwise known as cube maps, a cube map is a 2D image of the selected area that you and the engine can colourise and brightness adjust which is then laid over the unilluminated textures to give an ambiently illuminate appearance, like night time out of town where all you have is ambient light.

You can't wrap a cube map around half a planet, so they had to come up with another way, adding a slight glow to the atmosphere how dark is illuminated in real life so that solution is perfect.

Well monitor is calibrated with an X-rite i1 display PRO. But I have just tried changing contract with the most minute difference showing :/ there is a slight glow, maybe the colours are being crushed from YouTube on 4k monitor slightly?

Oh yeah I get that no light would be there if there is no atmosphere but those moons in discussion have always stated to have an atmosphere and thus would always be lit to a point from an ambient light source such as the giant gas planet next to them. The problem people are suggesting that there should be zero ambient light because there was no atmosphere and similar to that.

I do feel that moons/planets etc that are on the dark side with no atmosphere and zero ambient light locally should indeed be black. I then feel that we should have abilities such as having helmet and flight modules that allow vision although not sure what that would be without having a light source of some sort. Some suggested night vision but total black means night vision doesn't work as it needs some sort of light source still as well as any current tech. Am not aware of a future tech aiming to resolve this at moment.

Caporegime
Well monitor is calibrated with an X-rite i1 display PRO. But I have just tried changing contract with the most minute difference showing :/ there is a slight glow, maybe the colours are being crushed from YouTube on 4k monitor slightly?

Oh yeah I get that no light would be there if there is no atmosphere but those moons in discussion have always stated to have an atmosphere and thus would always be lit to a point from an ambient light source such as the giant gas planet next to them. The problem people are suggesting that there should be zero ambient light because there was no atmosphere and similar to that.

I do feel that moons/planets etc that are on the dark side with no atmosphere and zero ambient light locally should indeed be black. I then feel that we should have abilities such as having helmet and flight modules that allow vision although not sure what that would be without having a light source of some sort. Some suggested night vision but total black means night vision doesn't work as it needs some sort of light source still as well as any current tech. Am not aware of a future tech aiming to resolve this at moment.

Yeah i see where you are coming from. and stumbling around in the pitch black with only a torch keeping you from feeling lonely might be fun.

Soldato
Yeah i see where you are coming from. and stumbling around in the pitch black with only a torch keeping you from feeling lonely might be fun.

Aye, slowing your flight down as you settle into flight on the dark side because you can only see as far as your ships lights and then exploring/loading out when you find a wreckage looming in the ambient light you are providing is something I would like to see.

Soldato
you'd have more than lights, you'd need a radar/ other sensors
relying on visual is insane :p

Yeah I think you are missing what we are suggesting/talking about though. It is still lonely when nothing is pinging on your sensors and radar is just pinging a large object you can't see with no ambient light at all and thus only lit by you. What could be interesting is if for instance you find a crash site and you get the power on and it lights up and then provides ambience is someone else flying past and going "oh what is that light in that dark area, lets check it out" etc

Caporegime
For anyone who watched yesterdays ATV and is wondering about those Vanduul ships that jumped in and attacked the station... the big one is the Vanduul King Ship.

Its 2.8KM long.

Kingship_concept.png

The smaller one is the Vanduul Driller, they had a video reveal of it a while ago.

If anyone ever needed proof these artists and designers having worked in Star Trek and Avatar are among the best here it is....

Soldato
I can really easily see the difference between those moons, certainly see more in the new versions. However as said above i think it would be really cool to vanish into the dark side of the moon.

Will try to get on tonight but can't promise i will i got into a fight with a metal wall tonight at work and it beat my hand :(
Nothing is working.... not even nVidia's post processing AA.

I think CiG stripped out Cryengine CVars, which is how all these strings work, the console isn't even responding to my code strings, it should at least acknowledge the commend in some way, nothing....

Post process 8X AA.

8_X.jpg

Off

0_X.jpg

And Console CVars...

Just for luls, here is the same door @ 6880x1880

DOC0RN6.jpg

Pretty much no jaggies however, i notice thatit seems more to be relative of the light, almost like where the light is hitting is causing a jaggie, not sure if that makes sense :D

Soldato
OP
I see jaggies just below the self-land sign ;)

On a less pedantic note, I think this is the sort of thing they can focus on later although it'd be nice if we got more graphical options soon to allow us to test those too as part of the process. It may well help a lot with client optimisation if lots of Cryengine fanatics get to tweaking it for best performance/visual trade off.

Soldato
Is there a release schedule for a partially complete game yet? Like a set of missions with implemented mechanics. Or a solar system with points of interest, npc activity etc. ?

Caporegime
Is there a release schedule for a partially complete game yet? Like a set of missions with implemented mechanics. Or a solar system with points of interest, npc activity etc. ?

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but there is an Alpha 3 Production Schedule Report. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

That doesn't go all the way to production end but i think that is as far as they have committed, so far. It gets updated every Friday.

Soldato
I can really easily see the difference between those moons, certainly see more in the new versions. However as said above i think it would be really cool to vanish into the dark side of the moon.

Aye I have opened this up on the home computer 4k monitor and that's calibrated with a different device and is fine and I can actually see the difference now which makes much more sense although doesn't change my thought process. However does mean the calibration unit at work is likely not working properly. Frustrating.

Soldato
Where is the game at the moment? I've not even looked at development for ages after they annoyed me missing deadlines but releasing ships every 5 minutes that you can buy. Which it seems they are still doing.
There's a playable mini-system with a station or two to land at, some comms arrays to fix, some bird in a comms station cheerfully sending you on look-see missions, players to shoot, some shops selling different colours of the same stuff... There's supposed to be a massive new update coming with loads of amaaaaaaaaaaaayzing features and graphics, or summat, but between this and Elite each releasing several hour-long videos every week, I CBA to keep up with all their highly detailed nuances of adding a slightly different texture to a lens flare.

Soldato
The beginnings of a Star Citizen Inspired hanger, why, just because..... maybe one day it will have a game editor and we can make our own custom living spaces.

Fair play. I am holding off doing anything until I know if we could have any of this available. I would happily smash out a load of sketchup models to import into Cryengine with different designs and details. Wondering how you are going to incorporate the services etc of buildings.

I have a huge number of large steel framed structures on the server here that I can take from Revit to Sketchup which have all the M&E, Structural and Architectural elements in. I should be able to manipulate huge amounts of those to work as modules for Sketchup and thus for Cryengine later if needed. Things like generators, solar equipment, heat source pumps. Steels wise then I should just be able to map the textures/properties to elements if we can take them out the database for the existing elements.

I haven't seen a whole lot on concrete in game mind, everything appears to be panel systems and metal frame structures with glazing panels. I wonder if that will change later on.

Back
Top Bottom