******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Honestly not worried about it failing, more worried about it running out of time and or money. With a staff of 200-250 posts $58 million doesn't last a huge amount of time.

But this is kind of what I mean,

It does look like it has the potential to be incredible, it does look like if it succeeds - it'll be one of the most amazing things ever made, but I can't help but wonder that despite it reaching a critical mass of support and funding, is that enough to see it through to what was intended, or will we just get a load of fancy looking spaceships and nothing very interesting to do?

I'm just worried that the expectations have been set so high, that it can't possibly meet them, and in doing so we'll just be left with something that looks very nice, compared to elite - where i'm having quite a lot of fun just shipping cargo around, bounty hunting, and generally messing about.

It will play very differently to elite, why I tend to avoid comparing the two but the funds will keep coming for start citizen and I believe it'll hit $100 million before release, which should be enough, plus ongoing micro transactions after release etc.

I am enjoying using the Hornet! All currently available ships are unlocked this week for Arena Commander, regardless of which ships you've pledged for.

Last edited:
For the sake of argument let's say I know very very little about this game. Let's also say I'm incredibly lazy and can't be bothered reading through 30 odd pages on here.
I've had a look on the game's website, and I can't make sense of how to get involved in it without forking out too much money for something that is not even finished, and may never be finished.

There seem to be some things for sale that range between $40 dollars and $15,000. Fifteen thousand bucks. I mean, what the great and holy **** is that about? :confused:

Can someone explain, in a paragraph, exactly what the situation is with this game, and is it in any way worth getting involved in/ forking out money on yet? Please bear in mind I don't ever spend more than £30 for a game either. Ever. Even a very good, finished game (or does this concept not exist in the games industry any more? Seems to be going that way).

For the sake of argument let's say I know very very little about this game. Let's also say I'm incredibly lazy and can't be bothered reading through 30 odd pages on here.
I've had a look on the game's website, and I can't make sense of how to get involved in it without forking out too much money for something that is not even finished, and may never be finished.

There seem to be some things for sale that range between $40 dollars and $15,000. Fifteen thousand bucks. I mean, what the great and holy **** is that about? :confused:

Can someone explain, in a paragraph, exactly what the situation is with this game, and is it in any way worth getting involved in/ forking out money on yet? Please bear in mind I don't ever spend more than £30 for a game either. Ever. Even a very good, finished game (or does this concept not exist in the games industry any more? Seems to be going that way).

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpiRFP7T2c

If you are not interested in the game enough to look into it yourself then maybe you should wait until its finished and see what you think then. If you do buy in early there is no reason to spend more than the $40 basic package tbh

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpiRFP7T2c

If you are not interested in the game enough to look into it yourself then maybe you should wait until its finished and see what you think then. If you do buy in early there is no reason to spend more than the $40 basic package tbh

Cheers Bud I'll have a watch. I am genuinely interested in it. My post was slightly tongue in cheek, but also not.
The little I have seen of it - it looks like the kind of game I could only ever have dreamed of back in the day (and I've been a gamer since day one), and Wing Commander 3 on the 3DO is one my favourite games ever (yes the 3DO. Anyone?) So I'm almost nervous about it if that makes sense? Probably not :)

I just don't really get, or like, the whole crowd funding ethos that seems to be getting more and more prevalent now in the games industry. DLC after forking out full price is bad enough, but 'buying' games that aren't anywhere near finished is just weird to me. This has probably already been done to death in the thread already no doubt....

Last edited:
When it is finished, it should cost a similar price to any other game.

The reason for expensive pledge packages is to generate funding - so the people who have enough money can help make this game happen. The ships you get are essentially a gift reward for pledging the amount you are able. It is subtly different from buying a completed game.

Only pledge as much as you are comfortable with - if that is just the base aurora package then great - you will be able to earn all the other ships in game anyway.

It will play very differently to elite, why I tend to avoid comparing the two but the funds will keep coming for start citizen and I believe it'll hit $100 million before release, which should be enough, plus ongoing micro transactions after release etc.
I believe it will hit $100 million by this time next year.

I just don't really get, or like, the whole crowd funding ethos that seems to be getting more and more prevalent now in the games industry. DLC after forking out full price is bad enough, but 'buying' games that aren't anywhere near finished is just weird to me. This has probably already been done to death in the thread already no doubt....

I was quite a strong supporter of crowd funding/early access and overall it's probably been a positive experience when I combine all the games I've supported (around 20). Some are exceptionally good at involving you, like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen but others are just a mess i.e. Godus.

I've had bigger disappointments from pre-orders though, Rome 2 and X-Rebirth being the two biggest for me personally, especially the latter.

What I'd say about Star Citizen is - spend what you can afford to lose, although frankly at $45 for the Aurora AC package you get access to Arena Commander which is rapidly improving and arguably going to have given me 50+ hours of gameplay already :D

Im not fond of these early access deals either, its putting all the risk on the gamer, little on the developer. They have complete freedom to change the rules, and call it done then move on to their next project, they dont need to worry about selling a poop game to pay back their funding, they get paid however it turns out.

That said, i've never felt SC in the same way, im not sure why. It probably helps having joined 14mo in, last Feb, so theres more info, a better understanding of their work ethic and their respect for their community.
The funding aspect might rub some the wrong way, but there is no profit for SC, zero. Its all paying wages and various expenses. Could they stop at $20m, probably, but there would be half the staff working on it, there'd be stuff they simply couldnt do in a sensible window or within the funds for wages. What we're seeing, as more people contribute is more workers, able to expand the idea. Theres a degree of feature creep, and it adds complexities and that'll slow things down, but IMO, Elite Dangerous is a great example of 2 processes, they've almost built a game in a pretty short timeframe, and it looks impressive, vast and it'll be a game game for those who loved the original... but its lacking so so much that SC is bringing.
Theres nothing wrong with it, but if SC only managed $20m by completion, then it'll be with a small handful of ships, it'd be with generic feeling planets you see from a distance, with identikit space stations etc.
50 modelled ships (probably 75-100 by release), planets you can walk around, ships which are real, fps combat, multicrew ships and NPC crew, space which has atmosphere rather than simply blackness with stars and planets etc.

The difference between them is like a crowd funded game and a AAA game, which happens to be crowd funded.

Nobody needs to pay more than $35 for the game, even if some pay hundreds or thousands, but its what is ultimately the difference between SC and ED. Ive put more than enough in, but it isnt really going to change my experience any more or less than someone elses. If theres 10m spent paying ppl to make 75 ships, we'll all get to experience that, with a $35 or $3500 pledge (or simply buying it after release) so i see more money as being more content, more staff working in an industry they love, making a game without a publisher overlord pushing them to do things half-baked.

It might seem crazy people spending thousands on virtual ships, but the vast majority are likely comfortable enough to do so, and are wanting SC to be a huge success because its something they've only been able to dream about for so long. Companies like EA didnt want to touch SC, and for many helping to pay to make it happen is a small price to pay. But everyone benefits, regardless of how everyone feels about the whole CF process and 'buying virtual ships'.

The Letter From The Chairman for $57m & $58m is up:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14209-Letter-From-The-Chairman

The winning concept ship description:
Anvil Aerospace Crucible – A so-called “flying toolbox,” the Crucible is the ship you want on your side when you suffer an asteroid collision or survive a pirate attack! Structurally, the Crucible consists of a cockpit, drive unit and workshop. The Crucible’s workshop is versatile: it can be used as a base for conducting EVA repairs (complete with requisite tool storage) or it can use magnetic grapplers to attach directly to a ship hull. In this situation, the workshop actually opens to space and allows a repair crew direct access to a damaged ship. The workshop can either maintain artificial gravity or allow for zero-g repair operations, depending on the needs of the mission. The Crucible’s cockpit is also outfitted with an array of repair tools, including dual purpose mounts that can exchange weapons for tractor beams and remote manipulator arms. The Crucible is also part of a larger planned repair system. For larger project, independent sections of support struts and drive units, called the Miller ERS (External Repair Structure), can be locked together to form a sort of scaffolding around a damaged starship, the next best thing to an orbital drydock. A standard ERS unit includes a small drive, thrusters, magnetic attach points and modular hardpoints for mounting tractor beams, repair tools or weapons. ERS segments each have a code defining their shape (P1 = Straight section, P2= Left turn, P3 = Right turn, etc.) with the multiple layouts allowing extensive zero-gravity construction as necessary. In the case of damaged capital ships, like the Navy’s Bengal carriers, hundreds of ERS units might be formed into a latticework serviced by a dozen or more Crucibles.
Im struggling to understand exactly what that means though :D is it EVA repairs, or is there and internal garage ('maintain artificial gravity' etc), meaning its got to be big enough to park a hornet in there, at least.

Instead of taking the top 2 votes, they've instead given everyone 10,000 UEC, $10 worth, which is nice. Im not sure, but i'd imagine everyone could buy the Greycat with the UEC we've got recently, maybe + package funds.

Also, they've included the Starfarer image from Sandi's Facebook acct in the letter header, and the url confirms it is the Starfarer. I'll just post the url cos its huuuge
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ource/Starfarer_Corridor_Perspective_v014.jpg

So you're saying they could be committing fraud? Heck, you might be plotting acts of terrorism! I can say, with absolute certainty, i dont know that for sure, either. Mull over that one, maybe?

Is there a point, or are we just listing things to suggest someone is (or may be) planning illegal activities, based exclusively on one of millions of possible things someone could, or could not, be doing?

So, for the sake of clarification...
The funding aspect might, but we cant know for certain, rub some the wrong way, but equally some may be fine with it, however according to the legally binding statement from their initial crowd funding pitch, we are led to believe there is no profit for SC, unless they are committing fraud. Its all allegedly paying wages and various expenses, which we cannot conclusively confirm or deny as we havent seen their financial records to know exactly what they're doing with it.
... or something snappy like that ;)

Anyone worried that this whole thing is just gonna turn into a massive fail?
For those that have spent over the average cost of a game on this so far then I would say yes.

There is simply no way that its going to live up to expectations for those that have spent £100+, if not £1000s on it , great you get a pretty ship AMAZE, but if the base game isnt up to scratch its going to be a massive waste of money.

and that's before you start looking at longevity.

@James, Might be a hard question to answer, but what is it that causes the motion sickness, is it too high FOV, or too narrow? Also, is it the same for everyone (generally speaking) so 50 could be fine for people who suffer from this, while 60 causes nausea, or is it different for everyone who suffers from this, we each have a different tolerance lvl etc?

Fortunately for me its never been an issue in games, that i can think of, but i get it if i try reading in a car or plane, and i can imagine its absolutely horrible, and made infuriating knowing its something a little FOV tweak can fix.

It's strange. Narrow FOV and an enclosed environment are the main things. Games such as Metro, Doom and this. Alien Isolation doesn't give me the same issue as i've ramped up the FOV slightly.

Perhaps it's the blur of looking left and right too?

For those that have spent over the average cost of a game on this so far then I would say yes.

There is simply no way that its going to live up to expectations for those that have spent £100+, if not £1000s on it , great you get a pretty ship AMAZE, but if the base game isnt up to scratch its going to be a massive waste of money.

I think you are perhaps making the assumption that people are expecting the perfect game it they pump in $1000+ into Star Citizen, that's not something you can honestly do. Having spoken with several who have done just that, most expect a good game and hoping for a great game. They are paying to have ships so that on release they can get on with play the way they want, rather than having to aim to obtain ships. This includes someone who has every single ship in the game and a few which are doubles (currently has over $29,000) in the game.

Secondly these are mostly 30+ guys with disposable income, most have weighed up the pros and cons of backing and many started low ($40 or so) and have gradually built it up over the past couple of years, as one guy put it he was paying $20/month for a couple of MMOs so he cancelled those and simply pumped that cash into Star citizen.

I absolutely agree that if the game is pants, it's a waste of money but I also agree that water is wet.

Bottom line - These are adults spending their money how they want to, there's already many who are disappointed because the game isn't being made specifically how they want and to their time scales, there will be even more who are disappointed post-release too and no doubt plenty who will only discover the game after release.

I watched the video of them landing a ship on a planet, and it seemed too good to be true - it looks like a totally different league of *game* altogether, it looks like a gamer/sci-fi dream come true.

The bit where I struggle - I start to think about how it's going to fit together, how it's going to *play* the sorts of things that you'll be able to do, and on top of all that - will it be something you can actually play, that provides a good experience, that you keep playing.

OR

Are we going to get a series of very good looking, amazingly crafted chunks of artwork and 3d modelling, which don't really "gel" into any sort of experience..

Don't get me wrong - I'm already a backer (I have a 300i :D ) and i'd love it if they pulled this off, as much as anyone.. I'm just skeptical that's all.

:D

I Take it though that i can't actually fly it?

I'm a total noob, any info advice ecte... would be much appreciated :)

Mustangs not Arena Commander ready yet but you should get a 300i loaner to use instead. Also all ships are available to everyone at the minute, not sure exactly when it runs out it was supposed to be for 1 week after CitCon.

Back
Top Bottom