******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Bottom line - These are adults spending their money how they want to, there's already many who are disappointed because the game isn't being made specifically how they want and to their time scales, there will be even more who are disappointed post-release too and no doubt plenty who will only discover the game after release.

What I worry about is the precedence it could set.

You've seen how we've gone from conditioning gamers from buying a fully finished product with fledged expansions/addons to (in some cases proven) dlc which is cut out, or promised in an unknown quantity post release for a price, to buying advantages, f2p where cash shops end up more costly than a sub.

With SC it has shown clearly that if you create a legitimate way for people to buy stuff instead of just playing, they will. Oh they will in ridiculous amounts.
Gold markets aren't new, but they were ban worthy for a reason in the past.

Now? Well.... you'd be lucky to not find a modern up and coming mmo or persistant type game with the ability to shortcut your way through stuff.

As a gamer since the late 80s, I don't like this.
The biggest argument is cash rich and time poor and time rich and cash poor can live in an equal footing. Neglecting of course those with both little money and time and helping time and cash rich even more.

Buuut of course, money has it's way! I'd bet loads on SC never being as successful if you didn't get ships for a pledge.
There's one reason why sales spike during ship selling periods and new releases.

CIG were clever in how they approach funding though, you've nailed it Chris with the ship pledge, I mean sorry it's not for a ship is it? It's funding the game (that old chestnut lol).

I doubt there are many games which could be viable using this model though and those which have tried and are already failing (most of Kickstarter games then) are damaging it to an extent where it may be impossible for anyone to get another game up and running any time soon on the same funding model.

Personally I'm more concerned with on-going costs of running the thing and where they'll get that from, people seem to think it costs peanuts to run gaming servers hosting thousands of concurrent connections to a high level of availability, where as it's hideously expensive to do so.

Whats going on here? had this gray thing infront of me, couldn't see a bloody thing.

Its ok on external view, i also have mouse lag, feels horrible, slushy, unresponsive...

Never seen that before tbh, looks like the menu screen for Arena Commander where you pick what you want to play? I'd relaunch it and load directly from the menu (hit escape - pick Arena Commander) to see if it helps.

What I worry about is the precedence it could set.

You've seen how we've gone from conditioning gamers from buying a fully finished product with fledged expansions/addons to (in some cases proven) dlc which is cut out, or promised in an unknown quantity post release for a price, to buying advantages, f2p where cash shops end up more costly than a sub.

With SC it has shown clearly that if you create a legitimate way for people to buy stuff instead of just playing, they will. Oh they will in ridiculous amounts.
Gold markets aren't new, but they were ban worthy for a reason in the past.

Now? Well.... you'd be lucky to not find a modern up and coming mmo or persistant type game with the ability to shortcut your way through stuff.

As a gamer since the late 80s, I don't like this.
The biggest argument is cash rich and time poor and time rich and cash poor can live in an equal footing. Neglecting of course those with both little money and time and helping time and cash rich even more.

Buuut of course, money has it's way! I'd bet loads on SC never being as successful if you didn't get ships for a pledge.
There's one reason why sales spike during ship selling periods and new releases.
While I do share those concerns, I have to say I doubt people would pay insane amounts of money for any game - there are several key factors with SC that make people willing to part with so much money
- CR => faith in the leadership based on previous work
- "space sim" => largely unpopulated niche genre
- PC focus => no console port nonsense, and maximising potential of PCs

I doubt many new game ideas would be able to generate so much money from people if they didn't have those kind of crucial, unique elements that many people have been waiting for for a long time.

Big publishers cannot simply look at this and think, "oh right, we can try this model" without looking at the reasons why it is so successful in this particular case, and why I doubt it would be successful in more than a handful of very specific games.

While I do share those concerns, I have to say I doubt people would pay insane amounts of money for any game -

There are a lot of examples you can find of games where you can overspend past the reasonable cost of a game. There was a thread recently here I think? or elsewhere I forget where people could share how much they've spent in F2P Games and other such.

People spending multiple hundreds on wot or lol, etc, there are so, so many people who spend frivilously on useless jank.
Some of my best friends do it too, ultimately yes it is their money. Still won't stop me calling them out for spending £800 on f2p to get a couple of guns and stuff.

I will never do it, even if I was filthy rich, the practice annoys me, especially when it's competitive(outside of pro) and you want an equal footing :P

I think if this was a finished game, released as traditional title, publisher backed, created to the same scope as is planned etc, far fewer people would pay $100, let alone $300-1000 on a ship, thousands in total. Some, yeah no doubt. But those in here, who own more than 1 ship, say $200 worth, would you have spent that knowing you could buy it in game with a bit of time?

I personally wouldnt, the main reason i've put in so much is because i admire how they're doing it. I can see theres an honest passion and intention to make a game which defines this generation, be this generations Mario, Sonic, Halo etc to the point where it sells hardware and brings focus and legitimacy to PC gaming again.
Ive put money in because im seeing the result of more funding directly impacting the scope and intention for the game, knowing im not simply creating profits for shareholders and bonuses etc. I know my input, combined with everyone elses, is going to impact what the end product looks like.

I dont particularly care what other peoples motivations are, but i know if it wasnt going to influence what the game ended up like, i personally would be quite happy to earn my way through the game. I wouldnt pay £100-250 for a Gran Turismo with all/a handful of the cars unlocked, even if some would.

There are a lot of examples you can find of games where you can overspend past the reasonable cost of a game. There was a thread recently here I think? or elsewhere I forget where people could share how much they've spent in F2P Games and other such.

People spending multiple hundreds on wot or lol, etc, there are so, so many people who spend frivilously on useless jank.
Some of my best friends do it too, ultimately yes it is their money. Still won't stop me calling them out for spending £800 on f2p to get a couple of guns and stuff.

I will never do it, even if I was filthy rich, the practice annoys me, especially when it's competitive(outside of pro) and you want an equal footing :P
Haha, yeah good point - I always forget about those kind of games and things like mmo subscriptions.

I think the key difference here is people paying huge amounts for a game in development, based on the belief/desire they have in the final product, compared to people paying huge amounts of money over time on these... well... I don't know how to describe them! :p

If something like LoL was in development stage, I doubt people would pay the huge amounts of money for the game concept (same applies for any mmo/moba that isn't a finished product), even though they pay huge amounts post release once they get addicted/have a personal investment in their characters or whatever.

Transverse and other kickstarter games have shown that people won't just throw money at anything on this scale (i.e multi-million). I doubt we'll see many more instances like it in the future, even less so if SC fails.

I've never understood the p2w argument when it comes to SC as how the hell do you win? If it's just that they've got a ship earlier than others may then why does that even matter? It doesn't hurt your own progression in the game.

High res org mosaic:
URX2SrU.jpg

I've found PAGANs logo on there now spotted the other OCUK ones yet :)

Pagans logo:

Look to the left of the vertical part of the"T" in STAR.

Thinking about buying into this now.

There are lots of purchase options and not sure which one to go for - can anyone recommend a good starter pack?

This one has everything you need to start playing Arena Commander, you can always trade in for credit and put it towards another game package if you change your mind at a later date.

Basically as the Alpha slots ran out a while back you just need a pass for each alpha module which only cost $5, this pack has it included but you could buy one without and just get the pass separately.

When the FPS module arrives early next year you will need a $5 pass to play that too

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

I agree with the above posters, this is turning into pay to win. I'm stepping out until Chris Roberts shows me something other than a new shiny every month :rolleyes:

This one has everything you need to start playing Arena Commander, you can always trade in for credit and put it towards another game package if you change your mind at a later date.

Basically as the Alpha slots ran out a while back you just need a pass for each alpha module which only cost $5, this pack has it included but you could buy one without and just get the pass separately.

When the FPS module arrives early next year you will need a $5 pass to play that too

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

Ok - thanks - I'll probably go for that one.

Thinking about buying into this now.

There are lots of purchase options and not sure which one to go for - can anyone recommend a good starter pack?
Yes, just get the aurora MR with arena commander pass. Do not spend on anything more than that unless you really like another ship.

The Drake Herald concept will be on sale next friday for $85, with LTI. Many people are taking the chance that there might be cross chassis upgrade options in the future when these ships become flyable - at which point you will essentially get LTI on a ship of your choice if you upgrade. Of course, if CIG say otherwise then there's no point. :)

Also there will be many new ships over the next year, each with an LTI concept sale - so best to save money for those if you really want to start with something more than an aurora.

Every other ship that is available now will be available to earn in game, so personally at this point I don't see a reason to pledge for a constellation for example, when it's best to save the money for upcoming concept ships.

Back
Top Bottom